Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012 | 02:56 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
Not disagreeing with you outright, all I can say is that, in my experience, any time you cut the signal from the feedback device in a closed loop control system you can expect seriously unpredictable results.

If you are 100% certain this disables the entire system and reverts to non ABS then I will accept that, but if in doubt then I would not advocate this approach at all.
I am 100% certain. Works every time. The ABS warning light even stays on so you know you are on your own.

Old 01-30-2012 | 03:04 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Matt0987
ABS is simply new equipment that the riding public needs to become familiar with.
Disagree, you have over simplified.

HD ABS is flawed equipment that increases the risk of riding. It has no place on my bike.

For those who might remember I have done the only semi-controlled test of ABS on and ABS off on a Harley. The results are very bad for ABS. No one has ever been able to post any contradictory evidence. They all go on with their high and mighty **** about how I dont know how to ride and offer absolutely no data in rebuttal.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...r-to-stop.html

Last edited by kingkingking; 01-30-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-30-2012 | 05:57 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

I believe anti-lock brakes are just another "big brother" disaster. Unless you are on a perfectly smooth surface it will take you longer to stop, if at all, with anti-lock brakes. The bottom line is, if you can't control your bike without the "help" of the government then you shouldn't be on a bike.

Old 01-30-2012 | 07:00 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
I believe anti-lock brakes are just another "big brother" disaster. Unless you are on a perfectly smooth surface it will take you longer to stop, if at all, with anti-lock brakes. The bottom line is, if you can't control your bike without the "help" of the government then you shouldn't be on a bike.
Yep, ABS is a government plot. Oops, hear the black helicopters coming, gotta go...

Old 01-30-2012 | 08:06 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master

IMHO, no matter how much you practice or hone your skills, there is no real way to simulate a true emergency situation that you may run into on the road. Granted, the more practice you have the more likely you are to react the way you have practiced, but I for one like having that extra margin for error that ABS provides. Its nice to have a backup in that "oh sh*t" situation if I push that brake pedal a bit too hard.

And yea, I will agree with other posters who say that if you haven't activated your ABS then you haven't ridden aggressively, but I don't get how my having a laid-back, non-agressive riding style makes me an unskilled rider. I enjoy riding but I'm not a kid any more, and I dont bounce as good as I used to, so I will ride in a defensive style well within my abilities that gets me from one place to another in a manner I enjoy and feel safe with. If I wanted to ride agressively I wouldnt have bought a bagger.

Old 01-30-2012 | 09:33 AM
htc
Tourer

I think the idea of ABS is perfectly good, but there are situations where it doesn’t work as supposed. The technology just can’t simulate the real world in every situation.

I have two “been there done that” situations, where ABS where thinking wrong, IMHO. Slow speed, had to brake all the way and tiny touch of sand on the pavement. I felt like no brakes at all on the last 6 to 8 feet and BANG. On the other time same situation but with the bitumen that they use to fill the cracks.

Okay, I have to admit I was too close, but still…

I feel that it’s too sensitive at times. It shouldn’t work at slow speed? I would be happy if there was a way to increase the sped where it starts working.

Last edited by htc; 01-30-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2012 | 10:09 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

Obviously there are "true believers" on both sides of this. If you always ride in the same area and know where all the rough approaches to intersections are, you can plan ahead to accommodate your ABS. If you actually TOUR on your touring machine, there is always the chance you will caught by surprise at a rough chunk of road. For those who believe in the electrons, it might bite you some time, for those who don't believe in electrons, that might bite you some time. We all have our personal preferences, mine is that if I crash I want it to MY fault, not some doohicky STEALING control from me at the wrong time. That others look at ABS as a good backup for sand, oil or water on the road surface, it is your choice. I resent being made to pay for something I don't want and then disabling it. Totally un-automated brakes makes their control totally up to me and my RESPONSIBILITY. I like that. My truck gave two very big scares on bumpy roads, now its ABS is just an unpleasant memory and I haven't been frightened since. I MIGHT over do the brakes one day and get high-sided, but I have already experienced ABS trying to kill me. No thanks on any more tries. We ALL pay our money and take our chances. I have no criticism for either side.

Old 01-30-2012 | 11:15 AM
beakerztoyz
Tourer

This thread doesn't surprise me at all, seems to me that if these decker's you all ride had what I would consider to be a properly sized and designed front brake system they wouldn't need ABS to begin with.
Thanks all for the info on trail braking...never knew what it was called before but it works great in the mountains, and while I agree lots may not ride aggresively enough to need to need it or use it all the arguments in this thread makes me wonder, is there any other way to bleed off speed if I find I entered a corner too fast?sometimes a guy cant see the other end of the corner ya know

Old 01-30-2012 | 11:23 AM
Agent777
Tourer

Originally Posted by Twinrider
Where does riding aggressively enter the picture when a car suddenly stops in right front of you or turns across your path on a cold, rainy day? A bike with ABS has a much greater chance of stopping safely in such situations.
You said "ABS has saved my hide a few times". Are you saying you would have crashed "a few times" if not for ABS? Simple question. Everyone has those situations you mention, but everyone doesn't have ABS. Just saying...

Old 01-30-2012 | 11:34 AM
jward
Tourer

Someone exceeds their capabilities, goes down and then blames the ABS...ya gotta love it

Quick Reply: This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks