Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012 | 05:12 PM
big ears
Tourer

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I am unsure why you feel like you need to criticize my riding ability as I have neither met you nor have you seen how I ride. I am sure you can ride safely and within your abilities. My post was meant to advise others that push a little more than the norm of the possible side effects of the ABS triggering.
Good post. We needed to be aware of the possibility of this snake biting the one with abs.

Old 01-29-2012 | 06:25 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Matt0987
Matt,
thanks for the link. I was enjoying this thread and when I checked out your link I found the answer for a separate project I'm embarking on.

Now back to our regular program.

I don't have ABS on my bike, but will be renting a Glide for a week long trip in desert areas this year. The information posted here has educated me. Thanks all.

Old 01-29-2012 | 06:29 PM
TaterSaladonaRoadking
Tourer

Originally Posted by TexasJR
I think over the course of many miles, there are far more instances where the ABS might save your life, than instances like this that make it a little uncomfortable or shall we say, increase the pucker factor.
Yep, same thing the government said about seatbelts before they took away another freedom. ABS is a choice if you ride often you probably won't like them, if your a weekend warrior you love. Glad they are still an option and weren't standard on my king.

Old 01-29-2012 | 06:40 PM
paulhog
Tourer

Originally Posted by qtrracer
The system is for couch riders only, not aggressive riders. The fact that you responded this way tells me A. That you want ABS and B. don't push at all when riding. I love it when someone tells me I need to learn how to ride.
So, I take it you didn't watch the ABS DVD? Lessons to be learned on that... just saying

Old 01-29-2012 | 06:45 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by dc1450
Actually if you really read the OPs post, it isn't the braking in the curve that set off the ABS, it was the irregularities in the road. I am another HATER of ABS. It will activate on dry roads going dead straight and when you hit a series of bumps activates and extends the stopping distance. It may be more of a function of the crappy front suspension allowing the wheel to leave the pavement but whatever the cause it sucks.
If it had a switch so I could activate it in conditions of poor traction I would love it but, when it activates because of a couple of bumps and scares the crap out of me, I EFFIN HATE IT!
Having ridden close to a million miles without ABS and living to tell about it tells me that it isn't a necessity but more of a crutch for the inexperienced.
To clairify, "the bumps in the road engaged the ABS"? I would not expect the ABS would engage unless brakes were applied while in a curve. A million miles on a MC?, wow. You must know what you are talking about.

Last edited by checkers; 01-29-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2012 | 06:47 PM
Terrabella
Road Master

I like my ABS brakes. There is a margin of safety in my opinion that out weighs the other negative factors mention in this blog. Whether one likes or disagrees with studies and reports on this subject, the fact is, you are 40% less likely to have an accident with ABS brakes due to panic stops AND you won't lock up the *** end and high side if stopping in a straight line. It's good we have a choice of either systems and respect others opinions. For me, I'll error on side of facts.

Last edited by Terrabella; 01-29-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-29-2012 | 06:56 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by molinoman
And another good statement making a great point. I don't even have a Harley yet but I am constantly amazed (and it isn't just Harley) that most bikes seem to need to have their shocks upgraded when that should be the one thing on the bike that should not have to be or if you just have to have the greatest "suspension" system on your bike then buy it but not because the original suspension is that bad.

Dennis
FYI, the original suspension combined with the ABS is so bad that the ABS would trigger as I slowed for a toll gate if there were ripples in the road, or if I braked as i passed over the 2" lip pulling into a gas station. Nothing to do with riding aggressively.

I also have ABS on my BMW F650GS and Yamaha TDM900, and have experienced zero problems with those systems. A touring Harley that costs <$20,000 should at minimum come with HD's premium shocks and fork cartridge kit imo. Adding these suspension parts has made my ABS much less intrusive.

Old 01-29-2012 | 06:58 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Like I said before it is skill and knowledge. The leading cause of death in experienced HD riders is coming to a curve too fast and locking up the rear tire and going off the road.

Grabbing a lot of brake like on poster suggest demonstrates the lack of knowledge as well as anything. It is the last thing a two wheeled machine should do. You "feed" in pressure on both brakes never grab or stab. That is know as causing great bodily harm or death.

Every HD with ABS comes with an instruction DVD on how to use the ABS on a curve and straight roads.

But what do I know. I have only ridden since 1956 and have ridden under all conditions in this country and Canada. Never in my life have I even had a close call or dropped a bike.

I am half way through an article that I'm writing called "How to get back home safely." I will post it on the touring forum when finished.
Again, well stated.

Old 01-29-2012 | 07:15 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master

It seems that the ABS idea has been beaten to death.

I do find it VERY interesting, however, the number of riders here who will criticise or tell another rider that they're wrong simply because they desire to ride beyond the abilities of the average weekend warrior. I'm sure some will opine that I shouldn't be on a Harley because I enjoy scraping my boards and then some, too.

Old 01-29-2012 | 07:24 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Scratt
I don't like anything that takes control away from the rider/ driver. ABS has only to lock up once to end a life. If you like it, cool, I don't.
Completely agree. On a car or truck it's a different story but in my years on dirtbikes I have learned how to skid. So instead of re-training myself I will just stick to what I know. I've lived this long doing what I've been doing. Something new may end up turning me into street pizza. Jmo

Quick Reply: This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks