Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012 | 02:01 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member

If I bought my bike to race I wouldn't want ABS, but my aggressive riding days are in the past, and I love my ABS, to each his own.

Old 01-29-2012 | 02:16 PM
Dewky
Cruiser

QTRRACER is exactly right in what he is saying and wasnt this thread supposed to be about the ABS system and not about how he or anyone else rides?

Why is it that theres always some judgemental, holier than thou a**hole ready to pass judgement on anyone who doesnt do whatever, the same as them.

Harleys ABS is better than nothing but a long way behind the rest.Why dont the MoCo fit a system that works as well as Honda, BMW etc...instead of just putting up with this poor performing system, complaining to your dealer or writing a letter of complaint in to Harley might help speed up the process of improving this system.
Its not as though this is even std equipment, built to satisfy your average rider, this is a paid for option on most models.

dewky

Old 01-29-2012 | 03:03 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior

this is the first bike I have had with ABS and did not have a choice, I wanted an Teq/HD Orange Road King and was forced to take ABS, to me it will be useless. It is useless in any of my 4 wheeler except in winter when they won't stop and I have to pump anyway, I too don't need to hear from lives it saved. I don't need or want to pay extra to have a babysitter. I would never let someone learn to ride on an ABS bike, they never would learn anything that might actually save their their life. I can not believe that ABS saves more lives than helmets.
My only fear is the bad habits that ABS creates. The only upside is insurance discount for something that worries me to continue working safely with no more $ maint.

Old 01-29-2012 | 03:52 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

Like I said before it is skill and knowledge. The leading cause of death in experienced HD riders is coming to a curve too fast and locking up the rear tire and going off the road.

Grabbing a lot of brake like on poster suggest demonstrates the lack of knowledge as well as anything. It is the last thing a two wheeled machine should do. You "feed" in pressure on both brakes never grab or stab. That is know as causing great bodily harm or death.

Every HD with ABS comes with an instruction DVD on how to use the ABS on a curve and straight roads.

But what do I know. I have only ridden since 1956 and have ridden under all conditions in this country and Canada. Never in my life have I even had a close call or dropped a bike.

I am half way through an article that I'm writing called "How to get back home safely." I will post it on the touring forum when finished.

Old 01-29-2012 | 03:55 PM
big ears
Tourer

ABS was not available for my Jeep with the off road package in the model year I have. It was considered less effective on gravel or bumpy roads. I had a yamaha fjr with abs and it worked on all types of roads. It was consisered better than the BMW abs system. I don't have it on my Harley but it is probably only intended for in town traffic and wet roads. I have been riding since 1972 and had only one abs bike in 08. If Harleys abs was like Yamaha I may want it but as of now I don't even think about it. I take it pretty easy now.

Old 01-29-2012 | 04:05 PM
davewear
Road Warrior

i have had no issues with the abs when trail braking deep into turns. i roadraced and moto-x'd for years and ride my bagger very aggressively in the twisties.

Old 01-29-2012 | 04:43 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Twinrider
Upgrading your front and rear suspension will help a lot...
Makes sense. Maybe it's the case that the suspension/chassis weaknesses in the bike come together to make it impossible for abs to function optimally. If that's the case, moco might make the best abs brakes out there. But, we'll never know because they are hobbled by the suspension, which is a dismal effort at best.

I definitely will improve on the poor suspension quality that my FLHTCU has. I have no doubt it will somewhat improve the abs function. But, even then, the abs will never be able to work as well as BMW's because the BMW has a completely different suspension design. I came from BMW to Harley and trail braking was quite an eye opener the first time out. On a BMW it is a no brainer - you can pretty much grab a handful anywhere in the turn (but I don't recommend it). On a Harley, it's f^&ing scary. Like 3 kings, I only trail brake using the back brake (judiciously). I'm always off the front before turn in. It was the biggest change I had to make in my riding style. You can knock me for trail braking in the first place I suppose, but BMW made it a non issue, and as such, I tailored my riding accordingly.

I can understand the scenario presented by the op. If the abs kicks in before turn in on stutter bumps (which it will) you will enter the turn too fast through no fault of your own. That's a scary spot to be in. Glad you rode it out.

Old 01-29-2012 | 04:44 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I can see the point, some other manufacturers allow the abs switched off for a track mode.

so maybe that's what we need a switch.

Mike

Here's a suggestion....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170719691711...84.m1423.l2649

Old 01-29-2012 | 04:59 PM
qtrracer
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Like I said before it is skill and knowledge. The leading cause of death in experienced HD riders is coming to a curve too fast and locking up the rear tire and going off the road.

Grabbing a lot of brake like on poster suggest demonstrates the lack of knowledge as well as anything. It is the last thing a two wheeled machine should do. You "feed" in pressure on both brakes never grab or stab. That is know as causing great bodily harm or death.

Every HD with ABS comes with an instruction DVD on how to use the ABS on a curve and straight roads.

But what do I know. I have only ridden since 1956 and have ridden under all conditions in this country and Canada. Never in my life have I even had a close call or dropped a bike.

I am half way through an article that I'm writing called "How to get back home safely." I will post it on the touring forum when finished.
I am unsure why you feel like you need to criticize my riding ability as I have neither met you nor have you seen how I ride. I am sure you can ride safely and within your abilities. My post was meant to advise others that push a little more than the norm of the possible side effects of the ABS triggering.

Old 01-29-2012 | 05:10 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain

Originally Posted by qtrracer
I am unsure why you feel like you need to criticize my riding ability as I have neither met you nor have you seen how I ride. I am sure you can ride safely and within your abilities. My post was meant to advise others that push a little more than the norm of the possible side effects of the ABS triggering.
Yes, I do not understand why so many feel the need to offer critizm as they do. The fact is that ABS changes things whether you are in a cage or on a bike.

I have been glad to have the ABS a couple of times when the traffic came to a sudden stop. It has been nice to have.

The times I have been scared by it is when I have been on a back road, in a turn, and the road quality became very poor. Patches of asphalt missing, ruts from years of poor maintanance and wet weather, gravel from a loose hillside. Each of these conditions made the ABS work when I wish it didn't.

I, for one, think this is an excellant discussion. If I had my choice I may choose to use the system on freeways and secondary streets but turn it off on the twisties. And, no, I am not one to cut up the asphalt anymore.

Quick Reply: This won't be popular but.......HD ABS sucks