Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins in OZ

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 05:34 AM
ultraoz
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohlins in OZ

Hi all, I've at last had a good enough ride to write a meaningful report on the new ohlins. I ordered type 3 number 3.
We gave Howard quite a challenge with the design specs for the shocks when ordering them. As it turns out, he got it spot on. I requested shocks no shorter than stock (lowered suspension would be a disaster on our country roads) and able to handle 70% 2-up riding fully loaded, but still be rideable 1-up. Howard supplied a progressively wound chrome spring that fulfils the requirements superbly. One of the things I found is that by Howard insisting I work out for myself the shock parameters, my knowledge of how shocks work is 10 times greater than before. This is invaluable when fine tuning the shocks, and makes you sound intelligent when you're at the pub bullshitting with your mates!
Installing them was straight forward, requiring only 1 thin washer (spacer) behind one upper mounting bolt.
Setting the sag values was next, and I wanted to determine 3 separate values:
1 up, 2 up, and 2 up fully loaded. 25mm sag was the dimension necessary for type 3 shocks with 77 mm total travel.
In my case, the shock preload required for each is 5mm, 15mm and 19 mm. By determining these measurements, I figured I could easily set the correct preload depending on the weight. I use a set of vernier calipers to measure thread length above the adjusting ring. So far it has proved quite reliable.
Fine tuning rebound damping initially seemed a bit of a head scratch, mainly as I didn't know what I was expecting from the ride. Many reports I read said the ride quality was better, but how?
What I did realise quite quickly though, is that when you consider that these are race-bred shocks, the improvement in ride quality is most noticeable when the bike is being pushed hard. As it turns out, the faster the shock is moving, the better the improvement, and this is exactly what you want. In a straight line down the highway, they are firm, and that is about all. Ride the bike hard, and give it a real hiding in the twisties, they shine! Last weekend I rode harder than I have ever before on some real challenging roads in our snowy mountain region. The bike was totally controlled and very stable right through the corners. Mid corner bumps did not unsettle the bike at all. This was always the electraglides downfall- mid corner bumps. Even got a few compliments on how well we kept up with the others!
Howard mentioned that "less is more" when it comes to number of damping clicks, and suggested that probably, we would end up around 9 clicks out. After making a million adjustments I just went to 9 like he said - perfect. Now I don't touch it. Just adjust the preload as the weight increases, the same damping adjustment appears to work well at any weight. The shocks are set at the maximum length.
Here in Australia there are very few harleys with Ohlins, personally I don't know any that do. In fact, mention harley and ohlins in the same sentence and most people look blank! But I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending these shocks to anyone. They are in fact a performance upgrade. A bigger, faster engine, exhaust, ECM module etc etc will not make the slightest difference on a challenging twisty road against good riders. Good suspension will let you ride faster, smoother and much more safely. They're great. And Howard does build a shock that feels custom made.
(But Howard, I still reckon your arrow goes the wrong way in your diagram!!!)

Old 01-28-2012, 06:03 AM
Thumper1
Cruiser

Welcome to the club

Old 01-28-2012, 06:25 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

good write up , I love mine too

Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed thanks for feedback...

Old 01-28-2012, 08:01 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Ohlins on my FXDL and the HD Premium Ride on my RG. Riding one bike after the other lets you appreciate how great a shock the Ohlins is.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Good write-up. I went with the #6's. You are right about how they make semi-aggressive riding and corning an absolute pleasure compared to the crap stockers. In fact, the crap stockers do not deserve enough credit to even be compared with Ohlins, period.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:33 PM
ultraoz
4th Gear

If I did it again, I would get the no 6 also. I think the separating piston in the 3's takes away some travel. The separate reservoir of the 6's allows more travel. More travel = more damping when the riding gets hard!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:35 AM
Kiwiglide
Novice

Does anyone have experaince with fitting 13 inchers to a late model FLH. My 2012 Streetglide has HD nightstick type slip ons and the axle nut looks like it might hit the RH pipe at full extention if I fit the longer length shocks.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

They do hit on some bikes with aftermaket pipes from what I have read. I learned that you remedy the problem my indenting your pipe with a hammer, replicating the stock harley pipes as ohlin makes the shocks to harley specs. I called howard to get the scoop. I also am scheduled to receive a set of ohlin 6's that are longer than my streeglide Shocks today and from what I have read and seen in.photos there does not seem to be a fittment issue with this combination

Old 03-07-2012, 07:24 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Kesean just installed a set of 6's. On his street glide check his threads he posted a photo and had no issues. He is using cfr pipes believe or maybe they are called Crf I don't recall

Quick Reply: Ohlins in OZ