Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a good write-up with pics....

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Anyone have a good write-up with pics....

on installing aftermarket horn? I saw a video online for the Wolo Bad Boy and using the relay to prevent burning up the switch, he had to remove the tank and route the wires funny.

Anyone do a plug and play install on anything louder than stock and not have any problems?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:19 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
on installing aftermarket horn? I saw a video online for the Wolo Bad Boy and using the relay to prevent burning up the switch, he had to remove the tank and route the wires funny.

Anyone do a plug and play install on anything louder than stock and not have any problems?

You can google a relay and get a diagram. Are you sure you need a relay with a wolo? Someone might have used one, but is it really necessary?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:39 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

A relay can be a very good idea when installing anything with a higher current draw than the stock circuit, whether it is air horns or lights.

the H-D air horn wiring instructions are comprehensive, download them from their site

Mike

Old 01-27-2012, 03:42 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,022 Likes on 11,609 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71

I'm interested in this thread also.... as the stock horn really needs upgrading !!
I was thumbing through a J&P Cycle mag and stumbled across a PIAA "sports horn".....
I may do a little investigating on this one. Peel the stickers off the plastic and paint it.....
Not sure about the wiring needed.....may need more than the simple 'plug-n-play'

Old 01-27-2012, 04:21 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I installed the Pro=Pad mini air horn

on my FLHRC and it was a breeze. It is a plug and play but it does require a second hot lead to be connected directly to either the battery or accessory. This enables a 'instant' reaction to the horn when the button is pushed.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone have a good write-up with pics....-horn-002.jpg  
Old 01-27-2012, 06:27 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I replaced the stock horn by 2 FIAMM Freeway Blaster (hi and lo tone). They're loud but not obnoxious and they sound like an italian sports car.

I mounted them behind the saddlebags, in front of the shocks, one on each side. They come with mounting brackets.

I didn't want to bother making my own harness so I bought one already made by these guys. I picked the dual horn relay kit. Great people, high quality product and great service. The harness comes from Japan (the owner is American) and I got it in 1 week.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...horn_kits.html

It took me 1hr to complete the whole project and I took my time to find the perfect location for the horns. The harness connects to the stock switch wires under the cowbell so it's a breeze to install.

I bought the horns from www.ryderfleetproducts.com They cost me around $20 shipped. They are also available at Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, etc...

Last edited by frenchbiker; 01-27-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:59 AM
dets97
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a wolo bad boy air horn on my Wide Glide a few years ago. I installed it without a relay to start with and did smell my wires trying to burn when operating the horn for over a quick toot. I had received a relay with the horn so I ended up wiring that in the circuit. I ran wires along the factory route to under the seat. I did end up spraying it directly with water one time when I had my seat off and washing the bike. I then used the horn and fried the relay, the good news is I was able to go to AutoZone and get a new one for about 5 bucks. So I would say if you dont want to take the risk of burning up your baby (bike) you should definitely put the relay in and not take that risk. You put too much heart and soul (and money) into your bike to take that risk.

Edit: Oh sorry I just read your origional post. You wanted to know about plug and play. I pretty much made my own. It is about like a plug and play wiring harness. I taped all the wires together and put spade connecters on them so that I could just slip them on and off. In the end I was glad I did because my relay swap took under 5 minutes.

Last edited by dets97; 01-27-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:56 AM
speckfisher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a Mini-Beast Air Horn Fan....have used them for years....simple plug and play...very loud. They have saved my hide numerous times with cagers....especially good at stopping that Yukon driver on the cell phone.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:03 AM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speckfisher
I am a Mini-Beast Air Horn Fan....have used them for years....simple plug and play...very loud.
+1. Pricey - but I love mine. Sound and look.