Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone NOT use a quick release system and still take tourpak on/off sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012 | 08:27 PM
Nut08Ultra
|
Tourer
Default Anyone NOT use a quick release system and still take tourpak on/off sometimes?

So I love this Ultra, but I did initially want the SG. But when buying used, I found(at least in my area) it was cheaper to get an Ultra then an SG used. Who woulda thought.. guess its that demand and supply.

Anyhow.. I like the tourpak but I still would like the SG look. I don't want to fuss with the kit, just take the thing off, and leave it off, and if I take a long trip where I would really want it, I would take the time and put it back on. (I would do the quick release plug for the wires that someone wrote up)

But his brings up an ugly piece.... Without using a quick release, I need to keep that back plate behind the stock location of the license plate. I could still do the license relocate, but I would have to do something about hiding that ugly plate when I would put it back on.

So I have two questions for any of you who can answer...

1. How much time and how difficult is to remove the tourpak with the stock hardware? I wouldn't do it much but when i did, how much time would ya think it takes?

2. When I would have the tourpak on... is there a nicer item out there to take the place of that plate when the license is relocated, or do I just cover it with something else.. and if so.. what?

Old 01-26-2012 | 08:40 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Default Interested in Experienced Responses

I've thought about the same thing. I like the newer SG license location with the turn signal bar... trimmer. I'd thought about cutting the old plate holder off, but then if I trade it in 10-15 years (like I will be able to resist an update in a year or two!), I'd want to return to OEM and save my add-ons.
Maybe some type of paint or other treatment to reduce or eliminate the tendancy of the eye to spot that empty plate holder? No good ideas here...

Old 01-26-2012 | 09:41 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior

I do. I cut that backing plate off right up under tourpack. I bought the strut covers from the RG/SG. Unbolt the tour, pull strut covers and replace them with the ones from the SG. If you dont change strut covers you will have the cutouts and it doesnt look nearly as clean. It takes about a half hour to swap everything for me including putting the Corbin solo on(fricking corbin hardware doesnt interchange with anything else).

Just unbolt your tourpack and you will see where to cut that plate. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2012 | 10:27 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

On the '08 Ultra, the license plate bracket supports the rear of the tour pak; so, if the tour pak is installed, the license plate bracket needs to be installed to support the rear of the tour pak.

Removing the license plate bracket when the tour pak is off the bike is simply removing two screws; and, reinstalling the bracket with two screws when reinstalling the tour pak.

Carl

Old 01-26-2012 | 10:43 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
On the '08 Ultra, the license plate bracket supports the rear of the tour pak; so, if the tour pak is installed, the license plate bracket needs to be installed to support the rear of the tour pak.

Removing the license plate bracket when the tour pak is off the bike is simply removing two screws; and, reinstalling the bracket with two screws when reinstalling the tour pak.

Carl
Dumb question I know, but what are you using for the license plate when the tour pack is off? I figured I could whip something up in my shop that would do the trick, but being lazy, I'm open for suggestions. Plus, I'm a cheap bastard and I can't see spending all that money for the QC setup that would be used twice a year. My deal is that my girlfriend absolutely hates the wraparound backrest on the tourpack in the summertime because of the lack of circulation, gets kinda hot here in Okiehomie in the summertime. I got a quick detatch backrest with hardware to make peace but haven't had the need to put it on yet.

Last edited by Lakerat; 01-26-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-27-2012 | 04:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member

My old Glide predates qd tourpaks. Mine is held on with four bolts. Doesn't get much more qd than that! I also have a truly qd electrical connector to make life easy, I set in the floor. Use it 2-up take it off most of the time solo, so I swap several times a year.

Old 01-27-2012 | 06:14 AM
wjl24
Road Captain

I used to have a 1995 Ultra that I took the tour pack off of. They basically have four bolts and a few wires. I bought a rack with back rest for a road king to bolt on in it's place. I think it was #53341-97.
I haven't bothered to take it off of my new bike. Do too much longer riding and prefer to have the storage space.
If you want to send me your email I can send you a couple of pictures to show you what it looked like on the bike.

Old 01-27-2012 | 06:37 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

I converted my '09 Ultra Classic to the Street Glide look about 1-1/2 years ago. I also bought all of the docking hardware and quick detachable parts. I cut all of the wires and installed plug. It didn't take long before I was missing the extra space of the tour pak. To date I still have not installed the 4 point docking hardware but I did re-install the tour pak one time to see how long it would take and to decide if I wanted to go ahead and install the docking hardware or not.

I have read about a couple of complaints about the docking hardware. One is, if you don't mount the 4 point docking hardware exactly right, it could make it difficult to attack the tour pak. The other issue is the excessive rattling and loose fit of the tour pak docking hardware after it has been re-attached.

At this point I'm more inclinded to not use the 4 point docking hardware and just re-mount the factory mount and plug the wires in.

Last edited by shortride; 01-27-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-27-2012 | 07:31 AM
Nut08Ultra
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by pittz5
I do. I cut that backing plate off right up under tourpack. I bought the strut covers from the RG/SG. Unbolt the tour, pull strut covers and replace them with the ones from the SG. If you dont change strut covers you will have the cutouts and it doesnt look nearly as clean. It takes about a half hour to swap everything for me including putting the Corbin solo on(fricking corbin hardware doesnt interchange with anything else).

Just unbolt your tourpack and you will see where to cut that plate. Good luck.
I can't cut that because its part of the tourpak support. If I relocate the license plate below the taillight I wouldn't relocate it backwhen the tourpak is back in.. so I have that plate yet. Maybe just another license plate sized thing.. just something chrome or black? I dunno thats why I was wondering if people have done it.

Old 01-27-2012 | 07:31 AM
pittz5
Road Warrior

I didnt realize that your bike was pre09. My first post wont apply to you. Sorry about that. ;-)

Quick Reply: Anyone NOT use a quick release system and still take tourpak on/off sometimes?