Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone NOT use a quick release system and still take tourpak on/off sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012 | 07:34 AM
Nut08Ultra
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
On the '08 Ultra, the license plate bracket supports the rear of the tour pak; so, if the tour pak is installed, the license plate bracket needs to be installed to support the rear of the tour pak.

Removing the license plate bracket when the tour pak is off the bike is simply removing two screws; and, reinstalling the bracket with two screws when reinstalling the tour pak.

Carl
Right. And like I said in the post above, if I relocate the license plate for when the tp is off, I wouldn't put it back when I would put it back on.. so I am left with the ugly support plate.

I guess people just do the quick disconnect docking kit and don't need to worry about it. Oh well. It was worth a shot. Maybe I will be the first to post something for that in the future.

Old 01-27-2012 | 07:40 AM
Nut08Ultra
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by grbrown
My old Glide predates qd tourpaks. Mine is held on with four bolts. Doesn't get much more qd than that! I also have a truly qd electrical connector to make life easy, I set in the floor. Use it 2-up take it off most of the time solo, so I swap several times a year.
So I take it your license plate is not mounted on a support plate under your tourpak.

Old 01-27-2012 | 07:43 AM
Nut08Ultra
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by shortride
I converted my '09 Ultra Classic to the Street Glide look about 1-1/2 years ago. I also bought all of the docking hardware and quick detachable parts. I cut all of the wires and installed plug. It didn't take long before I was missing the extra space of the tour pak. To date I still have not installed the 4 point docking hardware but I did re-install the tour pak one time to see how long it would take and to decide if I wanted to go ahead and install the docking hardware or not.

I have read about a couple of complaints about the docking hardware. One is, if you don't mount the 4 point docking hardware exactly right, it could make it difficult to attack the tour pak. The other issue is the excessive rattling and loose fit of the tour pak docking hardware after it has been re-attached.

At this point I'm more inclinded to not use the 4 point docking hardware and just re-mount the factory mount and plug the wires in.
If it was an 09 I might consider the docking system but I don't care for it on the 08. It adds that triangular bracket and I think it looks odd.

Old 01-27-2012 | 08:09 AM
Rat1
Road Master

Originally Posted by Nut08Ultra
Right. And like I said in the post above, if I relocate the license plate for when the tp is off, I wouldn't put it back when I would put it back on.. so I am left with the ugly support plate.

I guess people just do the quick disconnect docking kit and don't need to worry about it. Oh well. It was worth a shot. Maybe I will be the first to post something for that in the future.
Before I relocated my plate I made a laydown plate holder. Now that I relocated my plate I needed to do something to make the plate bracket look a little better.

I am going to cut some thin stainless to the same size as a plate then put an HD decal in the middle of it.

I did not want to go the QD route because I hate the look of the rear docking kit that is used on the pre09 bikes. I hate the hoop. I wish someone would come up with a QD design that would use the same docking kit that is used for the passenger backrests.

Old 01-27-2012 | 09:34 AM
soniccbr
Tourer
Veteran: Navy

I had the same plan for my 03. i bought a kuryakin taillight bar with the license plate bar to hold the plate. Did away with the wires and moved the antenna. I'm planning to cut a piece of aluminum to cover the back of the pack bracket where the license was and put a sticker or something to make it look better.

Old 01-27-2012 | 09:43 AM
Nut08Ultra
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rat1
Before I relocated my plate I made a laydown plate holder. Now that I relocated my plate I needed to do something to make the plate bracket look a little better.

I am going to cut some thin stainless to the same size as a plate then put an HD decal in the middle of it.

I did not want to go the QD route because I hate the look of the rear docking kit that is used on the pre09 bikes. I hate the hoop. I wish someone would come up with a QD design that would use the same docking kit that is used for the passenger backrests.
That seems to be the only option we have... make something ourselves for a nicer support. I was thinking of cutting plate, painting it black to match the bikes color, and then stickin some sort of chrome accent on it so its not just a black plate. I'm not a fan of that hoop thing either... interesting that they can come up with one that can support a person and even a luggage rack on a backrest, but not for the tourpak.

Hrmm.. this is where I wish I had a machine shop friend. I have ideas, but not the means to make it..LOL

Old 01-27-2012 | 10:07 AM
crackercap
Road Master

I had an 04' EGC that I took the tour pak on and off, finally went with the quick disconnect, but I missed the storage of the tour pak and finally just left it on. I now have a 11' ultra limited and at times miss the cleaner look but that docking system is too expensive to go that route again and I use my tour pak for a lot of things to even consider taking it off.

Old 01-27-2012 | 10:33 AM
LA VIC
Road Master

Not to get off on a tangent but do those of you with the removable Tour Pak like the fit? A buddy put one on his Road Glide and it work fine, it is secure but it does move a little too much for his liking. The rubber grommets are new but with the weight and length of the Pak if you lift up on the bottom rear it'll clunk up and down. He found once he installed it he really doesn't want to take if off and is a little sorry he spent the extra money on the quick release mount. I guess it's just the nature of the setup.

Old 01-27-2012 | 01:23 PM
Nut08Ultra
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by LA VIC
Not to get off on a tangent but do those of you with the removable Tour Pak like the fit? A buddy put one on his Road Glide and it work fine, it is secure but it does move a little too much for his liking. The rubber grommets are new but with the weight and length of the Pak if you lift up on the bottom rear it'll clunk up and down. He found once he installed it he really doesn't want to take if off and is a little sorry he spent the extra money on the quick release mount. I guess it's just the nature of the setup.
I've heard that from others about the kit. I don't know that its not secure, but I am sure its not as secure as people would like especially when when it knocks or rattles.

I know I would only leave it on or off for extended periods so I won't spend on the kit. And the more I talk to people, the more I hear they end up keeping the tourpak on. I know I've only had this bike for a few weeks and it has spoiled me coming from only saddlebags. Heck I haven't even stuck anything in my bags cuz that pak holds so much. And unlike softbags, I can't force slightly larger things, like a helmet, into the hardbags but I could could put 2 or 3 in the tourpak.

Old 01-27-2012 | 01:53 PM
Rat1
Road Master

Originally Posted by Nut08Ultra
That seems to be the only option we have... make something ourselves for a nicer support. I was thinking of cutting plate, painting it black to match the bikes color, and then stickin some sort of chrome accent on it so its not just a black plate. I'm not a fan of that hoop thing either... interesting that they can come up with one that can support a person and even a luggage rack on a backrest, but not for the tourpak.

Hrmm.. this is where I wish I had a machine shop friend. I have ideas, but not the means to make it..LOL
When I have my tour pack on I don't put alot in it especially anything heavy. I put heavier stuff in the side bags for a lower center of gravity. Mostly just maps, sunglasses and other small odds and ends or maybe a helmet. The only reason I put it on is when one of my daughters wants to go with. They feel more comfortable with the tourpack behind them rather then the little backrest.

I was thinking of getting another backrest mount and doing some modifications to it since everything is there to mount to the docking kit I have for the backrest. You just need some tubing bent in a U shape with some holes drilled in it to bolt the tourpack too.