Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Speakers Output from Stock HD Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:39 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancemchn
I wonder if you can access that from the diagnostic menu or download it with a disc? I'll have to check into that. I HATE giving the stealer "flat rate" money!

Most "good" dealers will turn on the rears and balance on an HK radio for free or cheap. At least the dealer I use does if you bought your bike there. If you just walk in off the street they charge $25. That's mostly for the hassle of opening up your fairing. The actual upload takes about a minute to do.

Last edited by shooter5074; 01-27-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:11 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I understood:
1. Rear speakers output should be hot, dealer's flash is needed only for fader to show up on radio, and it's done behind the side cover, not behind the fairing.
2. IronCross mod only add pre-amp level, it does not cut out OEM speaker level. Matter of fact, OEM front speaker output still works, that's what I'm using to get signal to CVO amp underneath tourpak.
3. Someone mentioned on a SG (only?), rear speakers output has to be "turn on" by dealer, you might be onto something, I'll check with dealer.

Thanks all for your feedback so far.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:17 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I just called my dealer.... he said the flash turns on the fader....... and that the fader is set to full front by default. So even though the rear speakers are "hot" they are turned all the way down.

And you're right about the side cover being the access point for the flash.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:20 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Guess I should have added this too. I have a J&M amp powering the front speakers. Can I just hook up rears to the output of the UOL harness or do I need a 4 channell amp? Also, in order to get the fader to show up on the HK, do I need to go to the stealer or will it automatically show up once speakers are installed to the rear output? Kinda like how XM showed up on the screen as an option once I had it installed. Hope I don't need another amp, they ain't cheap, not for just a little rear fill.
I've tried amping (word?) the front and using just radio power for the rear speakers, can barely hear them while sitting on bike, let alone riding.

If you want to fader to work, you'll want to look into a 4 ch amp, with inputs from front and rear, and dealer flash. The fader won't work without this step. If you do not need the fader, you can just wire up the 2 rear speakers to the same amp, in series if the speakers (all four) are 2 ohm, or parallel if the speakers are 4 ohm.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:24 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Originally Posted by shortride
I'm not sure if a 3-way switch has to be mounted on a Street Glide when installing rear speakers. I know the 3-way switch will turn the rear speakers on and off on my Ultra Classic. In order for the fader to work and switch from front to rear speakers don't you need the 3-way switch?
According to the wiring diagram in service manual, the switch goes after the speaker level output from the radio, which tends to indicate that it's not needed in my application.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:34 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Originally Posted by shooter5074
I just called my dealer.... he said the flash turns on the fader....... and that the fader is set to full front by default. So even though the rear speakers are "hot" they are turned all the way down.
Thank you sir, you might be onto what I need to do here.

Damn! Has to wait till Spring, then. Bike's apart and is too damn cold outside....

Old 01-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Give Tony a call at Iron Cross Audio. He knows way more about the HK, fader, HK amp, etc. than any dealer. He'll have the answers you need.

Carl

Old 01-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Lancemchn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like I'll be selling my J&M amp and getting a 4 channel one.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Guess I should have added this too. I have a J&M amp powering the front speakers. Can I just hook up rears to the output of the UOL harness or do I need a 4 channell amp? You don't need a 4-channel amp; the HK rear speaker outputs don't care that the fronts are going to an amp. Also, in order to get the fader to show up on the HK, do I need to go to the stealer or will it automatically show up once speakers are installed to the rear output? A dealer download is required; or, send the HK to Iron Cross Audio--they can do it. Kinda like how XM showed up on the screen as an option once I had it installed. Hope I don't need another amp, they ain't cheap, not for just a little rear fill.
Originally Posted by Dr. Tiki
I also wonder if the IronCross mod disables output to the wiring harness for all channels. I have that mod on my radio as well but I have low level outs for front and rear (rear goes to lower fairing speakers). The addition of the pre-amp outputs doesn't disable the speaker level outputs.
I wonder if you can access that from the diagnostic menu or download it with a disc? You can't; dealer or ICA download/ software mod is the only way. I'll have to check into that. I HATE giving the stealer "flat rate" money!
Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like I'll be selling my J&M amp and getting a 4 channel one. Another alternative is to wire the speakers in series; use the two-channel amp to drive 4 speakers.
As mentioned previously, call Tony at Iron Cross Audio; knows more about the HK system than anyone outside the MOCO, and very helpful.

Carl

Old 01-27-2012, 05:53 PM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The rear speaker outputs from the radio will not be active if the HK amp is in the circuit. The CAN Data Bus will shut down the rear output.

Without the HK amp in the circuit, the rear speaker outputs are always active. If the fader is not flashe on, the front, rear outputs default to a 50 / 50 split (it does not default to full forward)

The dealer flash will only activate the fader

With the HK amp in the system, the fader will default to the amp.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Rear Speakers Output from Stock HD Radio