Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going for the Zumo 665

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:11 PM
paulhog
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Going for the Zumo 665

Dropping the Ultra off tomorrow for the Zumo 665. Going with the fairing mount because I just haven't seen a handle bar mount that I like. Dealer is offering reduced labor rates this month at $75/hr. My work keeps me pretty busy, so the labor rate is worth it now. I hope to have it back on Saturday.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 PM
ftzoid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! I'm looking at doing this very same upgrade. Keep us posted as to how you like the fit and finish. And let us know how that 665 takes care of you.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:34 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the ULTRA should come stock with the Zumo. It is the Ultra and should have every option.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:37 PM
paulhog
Tourer

GPS was installed yesterday. I love it! I currently have a Sirius subscription, so I wasn't crazy with the fact that I couldn't add this XM radio to my plan. Good thing my Sirius radio is broken... I canceled that subscription and started a new one with XM. Thought they were both the same company?

Anyway, love the way it integrates with the HK radio. I wasn't expecting the aux port to be used, but im OK with that. I loaded up an SD card with MP3s, but I doubt I'll listen that much. Will definitely listen to XM primarily.

The dealer scuffed up the inner fairing a bit... They were cool enough to tell me about it and offered to replace it or give me a gift card for the trouble. They'll give me a couple days to think about it.

Glad I went for the fairing mount instead of the handle bar mount. I think it's in the perfect position. Easy to reach, doesn't block any gauges, and it's easy to see. I know these things aren't cheap, but if your on the fence about it, go ahead and pull the trigger. I doubt you'll regret it.

BTW, my dealer gave me 10% off on the hardware on top the labor rate discount they were offering this month on all labor.

Happy trails!

Old 01-29-2012, 05:53 PM
dynawideglider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by paulhog
Dropping the Ultra off tomorrow for the Zumo 665. Going with the fairing mount because I just haven't seen a handle bar mount that I like. Dealer is offering reduced labor rates this month at $75/hr. My work keeps me pretty busy, so the labor rate is worth it now. I hope to have it back on Saturday.
You'll like the GPS, the satellite radio as well if you're into it (I'm not).

I have the fairing mount as well (but no scuffs). It works, nice and out of the way, but I've had second thoughts thinking the glare on the screen might be less noticeable most of the time on the handlebar.

Recommend the Garmin program for mapping and downloading (CD came with your Zumo).

Keeps your eyes out for a deal on lifetime maps for no addtional cost, Garmin just ran one for Harley Zumos purchased 10-15 to 12-31 11.

Anyways, good luck and enjoy.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:08 PM
paulhog
Tourer

"Recommend the Garmin program for mapping and downloading (CD came with your Zumo)."

I can't get that CD to work. It asks for an 8 digit product key that they say is on the back of the DVD case, but I don't have that number... the serial number on the back doesn't work either.

Thanks for the advice on the maps. I'll look out for that.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:15 PM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by paulhog
"Recommend the Garmin program for mapping and downloading (CD came with your Zumo)."

I can't get that CD to work. It asks for an 8 digit product key that they say is on the back of the DVD case, but I don't have that number... the serial number on the back doesn't work either.

Thanks for the advice on the maps. I'll look out for that.
I think the product key should be on a piece of yellow paper! At least that is what I recall, at any rate it was in the package and if you can't find it then the dealer owes it to you.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Clayslayer
Advanced

Garmins are the bomb.

I've kicked the idea of getting one of these for a while but the price blows my hair back. I have a $99 Garmin Nuvi that I've literally taken all over the continental 48 that has yet to fail me. I wonder if it's dimensions are close enough to the Zumo that they could share the same mount? I could wear out 8 of these for what my dealer wants for their pretty one.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:45 PM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

an idea about the scuff on the inner fairing. Maybe see what kind of deal they will swing you to get a color matched inner fairing...if they are willing to replace it you may just have to pay the difference to get the color option. I would be all over that.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:49 PM
R.Rains
Advanced

INSTALLED MINE TODAY,,,
I started this project about 12:30 today and completed it about 6PM. The 32 pin wiring harness was probably the hardest part taking harness apart with no speical tools and all and all that only took about 10 minutes getting the 5 wires affixed in the harness. I install the XM antenna and all the wiring needed to hook up the Zumo 665 and XM. I pulled the bike up of the basement and low and behold everything worked. Never doing this before my wife just looks at me and says you are totally amazing. I said wait till later. I installed new chrome mirrors on her street glide before I started my project. Now just waiting for winter to end.

Quick Reply: Going for the Zumo 665