Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Roadking Police

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012 | 11:46 AM
s1nemesis1s
|
1st Gear
Default 2002 Roadking Police

Hello all!
I recently bought a 2002 Road King Police edition. I love the bike! I just ordered the kit to change over to heim for my shift linkage – did days of research on this and all your comments on other posts helped GREATLY.

I know I need to get the manual, and I am working on that. Here goes though:

After searching the web and the forum for days I have only found bits and pieces on how I need to change the fluids in my bike.

I found several videos on how to change the oil so I think I am good there. BUT what I don’t know is what to buy exactly. What brand of oil should I get – I know I need 20w50. I’m trying to save money and plan to change often so what would be a decent cheap brand to use? I know I need to only use 3.5 quarts as well - I think lol
Oil filter – What do you guys recommend? I don’t want to pay an arm and leg. Is there a FRAM or cheaper option?
What about a washer or O-RING – What is the best place to get one for the oil plug?
Transmission:
Any good links on how to change it? Also, is there a filter to change? What brand of oil should I use for this, weight and such? Will I need a new O-Ring for this as well –I think I will.

Lastly, I keep reading something about a primary I need to change, what is this? And any links on how and what to change it with?

I promise I have searched and found tons of links but it’s a bunch of information and not much on products or a clear guide for a guy waiting on a manual.

Thanks so much, (any links, pictures, or whatever would be kindly appreciated) I am on a tight budget and trying to do the right thing. Just lead me oh HD gods!
Don

Old 01-26-2012 | 11:55 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member

I just strain the old oil thru some nylons to get the chunks out and reuse it.
Don't know about the filter. I haven't been able to get it off for a couple of years now.

Old 01-26-2012 | 12:04 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

there are all kinds of oil options.

i use the H-D syn 3 in the twincam- they were made for each other.

filter- same, H-D. ( there are other filters and I have used frams on other Harleys- there is a balancing act between the micron rating of filters, and the bypass valve.)

tranny and primary use H-D primary +

there are other products, I find no clear advantage. air cooled motors need certain modifiers in the oil that are not in car oil-

--------------------------------------------

you don't need a lift for any of this, have a drain pan that'll slide under the bike

the primary has a drain on the bottom rear of the outer case-it'll be an allen or torx head- careful you don't strip this, some of us use teflon tape to reseal it.
this takes awhile to drain and work the clutch lever a few times to get the lube out from between the plates

You'll need more than a quart to refill it.
refill until the bottom of the clutch basket is covered with bike on side stand.

the tranny drain faces straight down.

the oil drain faces forward and is at the front of the oil pan

oil filter change is messy, all kinds of expensive "tools"

I put a sheet of tin foil under the filter and make a channel, so oil can drip to a pan.

Bang a phillips head screw driver through the end of the filter 1 low, 1 high.

let the oil drain, then use you 2 new holes the break the seal and twist off the filter.

check sealing surface for bits of old gasket.

lube the new filter's seal with a little oil, twist it on until contact, than about 2/3~ 3/4 turn more

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-26-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-26-2012 | 01:35 PM
s1nemesis1s
|
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mkguitar
there are all kinds of oil options.

i use the H-D syn 3 in the twincam- they were made for each other.

filter- same, H-D. ( there are other filters and I have used frams on other Harleys- there is a balancing act between the micron rating of filters, and the bypass valve.)

tranny and primary use H-D primary +

there are other products, I find no clear advantage. air cooled motors need certain modifiers in the oil that are not in car oil-

--------------------------------------------

you don't need a lift for any of this, have a drain pan that'll slide under the bike

the primary has a drain on the bottom rear of the outer case-it'll be an allen or torx head- careful you don't strip this, some of us use teflon tape to reseal it.
this takes awhile to drain and work the clutch lever a few times to get the lube out from between the plates

You'll need more than a quart to refill it.
refill until the bottom of the clutch basket is covered with bike on side stand.

the tranny drain faces straight down.

the oil drain faces forward and is at the front of the oil pan

oil filter change is messy, all kinds of expensive "tools"

I put a sheet of tin foil under the filter and make a channel, so oil can drip to a pan.

Bang a phillips head screw driver through the end of the filter 1 low, 1 high.

let the oil drain, then use you 2 new holes the break the seal and twist off the filter.

check sealing surface for bits of old gasket.

lube the new filter's seal with a little oil, twist it on until contact, than about 2/3~ 3/4 turn more

mike
AWESOME! THANK YOU! Love the idea for the oil filter - going to do that for sure. I have done that on many cars because they were so tight. About the tranny fill, is that connected with the primary? If not, how much fluid do I need for the tranny? I am sorry, I know this is probably a VERY dumb question but bikes are new to me, cars are old hat though. So when I am filling up the primary is that the tranny too?

Just a few more questions:
I noticed you recommend HD oil and filter. These are pretty pricey from what I have seen. Anybody use a cheaper brand for the oil and filter?
So the primary and the transmission take the same type of oil? Is this the "H-D primary +" Any product that I could substitute?
What about the O-rings for the various plugs? Where can I get the best deal on them? Do I even need to replace them? Some say yes some say no from reading posts.

I am trying to do a budget flush really. I'm trying to put together a budget oil, oil filter, and O-rings. - A kit really.

And the same for the tranny and primary. I will eventually switch to HD stuff, I just want to do this on a budget to begin with.

I appreciate the help sincerely! - I PROMSE I AM ORDERING A MANUAL
Don

Last edited by s1nemesis1s; 01-26-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2012 | 02:00 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

budget flush- that's up to you.
i keep my stuff for a long time, so I pay more, but maybe less on repairs...

the H-D oil is priced so high- all the competitive stuff is priced high too....so, that's up to you.
I use mobil 1 in my car and truck, not in my bike.

tranny and primary are not connected ( remember the primary has that dirty gritty clutch in it, so you don't want that shared with anything)

tranny has a dipstick, so go by that.

o rings, you should get some for the garage, but I torque on the light side so the o rings aren't flattened or torn, I reuse them over and over.

the o ring for the clutch cover ( "derby cover") if it is flat spotted at the bottom, just turn it- there is no pressure in there and the lube level is low, so the only lube hitting the seal is splashed up.

( but as pointed out above I keep common seals and o rings in the garage so I have them)

and don't get a haynes or clymer, they are too general- the H-D manual has great diagnostic sections. you probably want to look for the police supplement or at least a police wiring diagram

this'll be handy too

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

( the H-D syn 3 was used in all 3 holes for years, but the primary + is what they spec now for primary and tranny--- not knowing what has been in your bike try to let it drain well)

also some models have a sensor adjacent to the oil filter-- careful you don't hit it if you use an oil filter wrench. if you use the cap style, you can cut 1/3 of it off and have enough tool to turn, but enough room for the sensor

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-26-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-26-2012 | 02:23 PM
mllgator
Tourer

An Oil Filter wrench is only about 2 bucks at Auto Zone or other parts store.
Simply take the new (unused) filter with you to make sure you get the correct size. Will save you alot of hammering over the years.

Old 01-26-2012 | 02:29 PM
s1nemesis1s
|
1st Gear

Thanks for all that information. So the tranny and primary both us H-D primary +
Hmm, interesting.

How much H-D primary + should I buy if I am doing both the tranny and the primary? If I don't go with the primary + what fluids would you guys recommend separately, for the tranny and primary. I don't want to run synthetic because the bike has so many miles on it.
I'm not trying to totally cheap off here, but I think that 20 bucks seems high for an oil filter.
THANKS AGAIN!

Old 01-26-2012 | 03:16 PM
s1nemesis1s
|
1st Gear

Thanks for all the help guys. I found the oil and filter I needed! Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by s1nemesis1s; 01-26-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-26-2012 | 08:54 PM
s1nemesis1s
|
1st Gear

Okay, been doing some more research since getting off work. From some of the posts I am finding that I can use the same 20w50 in all three holes? Is this correct? H-D primary + has been mentioned but I bought a total of 6 quarts of 20w50 this afternoon. It would be nice to use it for all three holes if it won't damage my bike. Is it safe to use this in the primary and the transmission as well? My wife has ordered me a manual through her work so I should have that in a few weeks. I hate to ask dumb questions but I am just not sure. I heard ATF type D or F would work. If I wrong and need to use H-D primary + how much do I buy? Some have said the tranny takes 1 quart, and the primary takes about 32oz, is this correct? WARNING DUMB QUESTION: I figure you put the oil in the oil dip stick hole and the oil in the transmission dip stick hole...but how do you refill the primary - does it go in through the inspection cover? Thanks so much guys for the patience!
Don

Last edited by s1nemesis1s; 01-26-2012 at 09:22 PM.