Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Power Commander tuning.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:00 AM
pervy_ninja
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road King Power Commander tuning.

I'm posting for my dad. The 03 road king he bought has a power commander III on it. How do I go about tuning it for him? It has Vance and Hines exhaust and SE stage 1 ac. The bike seems to have a lot of popping on decel and when he cranks it up sometimes it'll pop really loud. Almost like a gunshot.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:30 PM
beansSG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Jamie at Fuelmoto! He should be able to help ya!

Old 01-26-2012, 02:03 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Fuel Moto provides maps for customers, so if the PCIII was purchased elsewhere you should go to the PC site and find a map to download that fits the bike's configuration. Another option would be to have the bike dyno-tuned, but that will cost $$$. The decel-pop issue can usually be fixed by adding fuel to the 0% column of the map where the popping occurs, but the backfire when starting may not be related to the PCIII map.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:05 AM
beansSG
Tourer

Call Fuelmoto!

Old 01-27-2012, 10:30 AM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Fuel Moto fer sure.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:28 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

check it for exhaust leaks b4 messing with the tune.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:14 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Why is people's first responce always to call Fuel Moto? They stand behind products the SELL, and have a wonderfull reputation for customer service. But why should they be expectd to spend time fixing stuff that they didn't make money on? They run a business not a non-profit help call center.

to the OP, if it was me I would check for intake seal leaks and exhaust leaks. They both can cause the symptoms you are describing. If they're good then I would follow Iclicks advice and check the map that is on your bike (very easy to do when hooked up to the computer) and make sure it is correct for your Dads build. If not, check the MAPs at the PC website and see if one that is closer to what you have is availible.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:35 AM
bullet 10
Tourer
Question Pciii

Bought a 03 RK that has a SE tuner did not come with soft ware, tuned with Crane cam and lifters. Lifter went south and ruined cam. Installed Andrews cam and new lifters. My question will PC over ride orginal SE tune?

Old 01-28-2012, 10:00 AM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with finding out what mapp you have and making sure it is the best. Also checking for exhaust leaks. If the installer of the PCIII did a basic map your front and rear cyl are mapped the same. More than likely they did not do anything to the ignition tables After my advanced map was loaded and revised by me I took it for a dyno tune and he tweeked it some more. A week later I was noticing decel pop in some situations and called my tuner. He told me to add 5* advance to ignition tables 1 and 2 at each rpm range from 2000 to 4250 @ 0 TP and that did the trick. Dyno cooled bike down some and gave a mild increase of 5HP and 5 Trq so it was close on the performance side and put AF on the money. Good luck

Last edited by X Iron Butt; 01-28-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:03 AM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bullet 10
Bought a 03 RK that has a SE tuner did not come with soft ware, tuned with Crane cam and lifters. Lifter went south and ruined cam. Installed Andrews cam and new lifters. My question will PC over ride orginal SE tune?
PC adds fuel and ignition to the ECM's flashed map. I would think you need a Dyno tune to adjust the final output but havent looked in the PC web for your model and config to see if a canned map is available for it.

Quick Reply: Road King Power Commander tuning.