Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting and Raking Frame myself or professionally

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012 | 09:45 AM
Badda-Bing
|
Advanced
Default Cutting and Raking Frame myself or professionally

Hey guys. I have been looking at all the pics of people cutting their frames. Did you do it yourself or did you pay someone to do it. Wanting to do the hhi kit on my 2010 SG. I live very close to Cam-tech and 200 miles away from HHI. They will do the mods (just welding in the extension) for about 23-2500 bucks. I am a cerified welder and can strip the bike down no problem. I can do it for half the price. Any problems or disadvantages by doing it myself? Would resell be better if I had a professional do it? Thanks- Getting started soon

P.S. No one in area has bikes with 23" or 26" wheels to talk to. Guess I'm going with a 23. Want the look, but ride 300-400 mile days often. Please give me your wheel size and if you feel it can be ridden for long periods. Thanks

Old 01-26-2012 | 10:15 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member

i just went the easy rider bike show and i was talking to paul yaffe about raking my neck myself. and i was going to buy the same set up as you wanna buy but when i started talking to paul about it he showed me his set up. looks very easy and solid and i think cheaper u buy his trees and his rake kit for around $700.00 the one u want i believe is more. and u have to weld down the back bone as well so long storey short is look into pauls rake kit as well. iam not affilated with him at all i just think his set up is quicker and very solid check it out. either way iam a retired bodyman and iam going with the yaffe rake kit i to am a certified mig and tig welder as well as any other types of welding good luck to ya and be safe.

Old 01-26-2012 | 10:21 AM
gogogadgetbiker
Banned competing forum owner

I just did my HHI kit myself. I can't comment as to ride yet as it's still under construction for a 26" front.

I personally would pick the HHI kit over the Yaffe kit anyday. With the HHI kit you almost have to try to screw it up.

For me the body work is the hard part. I have a shop that I am taking the frame to just for that.

CamTech has some cool ****, I would advise you drive over there and look at some bikes before spending your $$$. Cameron is also one of the nicest shop owners I have ever met and would be glad to point you in the right direction.

Old 01-26-2012 | 12:45 PM
jberg
Road Warrior

Practice on a few old bicycles first.

Old 01-26-2012 | 01:14 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member

just do it yourself, worse case scenario..it ain't right and ya wind up a quadrapeligic vegetable. but you'll save $1000. seriously its your call but I would rather have one of the bigger guys with experience at it do it. in reality I trust the stock factory frame best. screw the trend.

Old 01-26-2012 | 01:17 PM
BAGGERONABUDGET
Tourer

If youre just doing a 23'' you dont have to rake it. You can of course. Lots of guys are running 23'' with no rake.

Old 01-26-2012 | 01:25 PM
donf610
Cruiser

I just installed HD trike triple upper and lowers last week. Under 500.00 for parts from Lakeside HD. Im not going to a 23" just wanted to get the 21" wheel out from the frame. Haven't updated photos yet. Heres all the info...........
http://www.ultraboy.us/Harley%20Rake...le%20Trees.pdf

Old 01-26-2012 | 02:27 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

With your background I wouldn't be concerned about the weldment so much as I would proper alignment. Do it up and shot peen it or hit with a needle scaler to stress relieve, and leave it unpainted for a while so you can monitor for stress risers/fractures.

Old 01-26-2012 | 02:28 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior

I know it isn't "rocket science", but there is some science behind it. Plus, practice. The "big names" have done it a ton and have a system down.

For something as critical as a safe ride, I personally would pay a pro for that. Just my opinion.

Old 01-26-2012 | 04:03 PM
blackswampbiker
Tourer

No one and I mean NO ONE will do as quality of a job on YOUR bike as you would do yourself. If you have the ability then do it yourself after all its raking a frame not building a nuclear bomb.

Quick Reply: Cutting and Raking Frame myself or professionally