Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Inner Fairing Swap - Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:15 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painted Inner Fairing Swap - Opinions Please

Recently I was at my dealership getting some accessory installs done that were left over from the delivery of my 2012 Ultra last month. I was talking to the service writer and noticed they had a painted inner fairing hanging up on display so I asked about it. He said they have a swap-out program where they keep a few regular black ones in stock and will send them to a local paint shop to have them color matched to your bike. They give you the painted one, you give them your stock fairing plus $350. Of course you can't tell for sure this way, but the paint quality of the one on display seemed very good. According to the service guy, keeping a few in stock cuts down on both turnaround time and cost vs ordering a color matched fairing from HD and waiting 5-6 weeks.

The price of course does not include any labor. It seemed like a reasonable price to me but I was wondering what you guys thought. Also, I would have the dealer do the labor since no one wants me near anything mechanical with anything resembling a tool How many hours labor would be reasonable to remove the stock fairing and replace it with the painted one? And lastly, for those of you who had your inner fairing painted, was it a worthwhile mod for the money?

Thanks for chiming in!

Old 01-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

find some one first. there is a guy here in Jacksonville don't have his number one me but he does it over a week end remove paint and install for about $300. plain black.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:39 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The addition of the painted inner fairing and fairing cap is one of the best 'bangs for the buck' you can buy! Period! I don't think that anyone on this forum will argue with that.

Having said that...the quality of any HD 'painted part' is very, very good! I would have a number of questions about a local shop doing the work. Some are very good...some not so good. You can save a bundle by ordering your inner fairing and cap online...and I've ordered a bunch of painted parts and always recieved them within 4 weeks...but that's just me! HD gives a long lead time 'just in case' when you order.

The job itself is not difficult, but it is labor intensive! I don't have a clue about the flat rate on doing it...but it would be 3-4 hours at least, maybe more...but I'm just guessing! If you have a buddy that can help...save a ton of $$$ and do it that way...even if you are only 'go-for-ing' for him!

Good luck and go get that fairing! Let us know how it turns out!

Ride safe...

Steve

Old 01-26-2012, 09:12 AM
jr50rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently completed the swap, go for it. it makes a huge difference in the look and feel of the bike from the seating position. i had a buddy do the paint so i can't comment on the price. but i would highly recommend doing the project yourself. like has been said it is a fairly easy project although does take quite a bit of time and dis / re-assembly.

Have a friend help with the re-install, the last thing you want to do is scratch the thing after all that work.

Attached Thumbnails Painted Inner Fairing Swap - Opinions Please-img_20120116_191838.jpg  
Old 01-26-2012, 09:17 AM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

You can go on Craigslist Jacksonville Fla. go to motorcycles and in search type in inner fairings . The guy lives local and will even travel to swap out and install you new painted fairing. I have talked with him and have considered having him do mine when I go down for Bike Week. I went to Craigslist and got you his number, here it is 904-626-1788. Hope it works out for you. No I am not a relative nor do I work for him LOL

Ride safe

Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by tidbit1
You can go on Craigslist Jacksonville Fla. go to motorcycles and in search type in inner fairings . The guy lives local and will even travel to swap out and install you new painted fairing. I have talked with him and have considered having him do mine when I go down for Bike Week. I went to Craigslist and got you his number, here it is 904-626-1788. Hope it works out for you. No I am not a relative nor do I work for him LOL

Ride safe
Thanks for the info. I looked up his ad on Craigslist and it does look very tempting...$300 painted and installed is a great deal, almost too good to be true! Has anyone seen this guys work or had any experience with him?

thanks!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:23 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i havent seen any of his work but $300.00 painted and installed is cheap beware.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by roadgliderick
i havent seen any of his work but $300.00 painted and installed is cheap beware.
That was my thought....reason im trying to see if anyone has any experience with this guy

Old 01-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

he did a friends in the vivid black and it looks great. When I get the funds he is going to do mine.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:44 AM
OutlawBagger
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...r-fairing.html

Not sure if it's the same guy. I read that a member Shore had his done where someone came to his place and swapped inner's for $300.

Quick Reply: Painted Inner Fairing Swap - Opinions Please