Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Inner Fairing Swap - Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 PM
ronherman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Painted inner fairing SG Tequilia Sunrise

Painted Inner Fairing Swap - Opinions Please-23918_3991893475289_1304845538_n-1-.jpg this is the after picture! he did a great job on paint and it only took 40 minutes from start to finish

Old 12-05-2012, 08:25 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,954 Likes on 2,911 Posts

Paul (the Fairing Man) did mine and I can say you will not have it done any better or for less $. His work is perfect and you can tell that he has done this many times, because he looks like a robot while he works and can still hold a conversation at the same time.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
Recently I was at my dealership getting some accessory installs done that were left over from the delivery of my 2012 Ultra last month. I was talking to the service writer and noticed they had a painted inner fairing hanging up on display so I asked about it. He said they have a swap-out program where they keep a few regular black ones in stock and will send them to a local paint shop to have them color matched to your bike. They give you the painted one, you give them your stock fairing plus $350. Of course you can't tell for sure this way, but the paint quality of the one on display seemed very good. According to the service guy, keeping a few in stock cuts down on both turnaround time and cost vs ordering a color matched fairing from HD and waiting 5-6 weeks.

The price of course does not include any labor. It seemed like a reasonable price to me but I was wondering what you guys thought. Also, I would have the dealer do the labor since no one wants me near anything mechanical with anything resembling a tool How many hours labor would be reasonable to remove the stock fairing and replace it with the painted one? And lastly, for those of you who had your inner fairing painted, was it a worthwhile mod for the money?

Thanks for chiming in!
I wouldn't be too worried about the paint not coming from Harley. I bought a set of color matched HD stretched bags and it was unbelievable to me that quality control (if there is any) would have let those bags out with that much orange peel in them. I'm leary about having the Moco paint anything else for me.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:50 PM
JOHN_E
Novice

Originally Posted by Fairing Man
Chech out my Facebook page (Painted Harley Fairings ) there is many of my jobs on there.
Unable to find that page. Got a link? And do you ship?

Old 12-06-2012, 05:02 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHN_E
Unable to find that page. Got a link? And do you ship?

Just did a search on facebook and the page came up..Try it again.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/PaintedH...irings?fref=ts

joe

Last edited by PDDGM; 12-06-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:09 PM
mdaycb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul did mine fairing also, Tequila Sunrise, it looks great, very happy with it. In fact that is my Fairing on his FB page, I just noticed that.

Originally Posted by Fairing Man
I am the guy in Jacksonville. I do paint and install for as little as $300. The candy colors are $350 plus. For Road Glides they start at $450 installed. I have 20 plus fairings ready to go. I use Harley paint. It costs me a little more but I feel it is worth it to give you a quality finish and color match. If you have a group of guys I can come to you. I can install the average fairing in an hour. Ofr you can make a road trip to see me and I install and you ride on. Chech out my Facebook page (Painted Harley Fairings ) there is many of my jobs on there. Quality, Price and convenience! This is the way to go!! Thanks, Paul

Last edited by mdaycb; 12-06-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 PM
JOHN_E
Novice

Originally Posted by PDDGM
Just did a search on facebook and the page came up..Try it again.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/PaintedH...irings?fref=ts

joe
Thanks!!!! No idea why I couldn't find that.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
Recently I was at my dealership getting some accessory installs done that were left over from the delivery of my 2012 Ultra last month. I was talking to the service writer and noticed they had a painted inner fairing hanging up on display so I asked about it. He said they have a swap-out program where they keep a few regular black ones in stock and will send them to a local paint shop to have them color matched to your bike. They give you the painted one, you give them your stock fairing plus $350. Of course you can't tell for sure this way, but the paint quality of the one on display seemed very good. According to the service guy, keeping a few in stock cuts down on both turnaround time and cost vs ordering a color matched fairing from HD and waiting 5-6 weeks.

The price of course does not include any labor. It seemed like a reasonable price to me but I was wondering what you guys thought. Also, I would have the dealer do the labor since no one wants me near anything mechanical with anything resembling a tool How many hours labor would be reasonable to remove the stock fairing and replace it with the painted one? And lastly, for those of you who had your inner fairing painted, was it a worthwhile mod for the money?

Thanks for chiming in!
Eek I have seen a few guys do them locally. They pulled them off themselves and had them painted for $150. Also, I know a guy that does the labor for about $150 as well. But hey the stealer is always high, nothing new there!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 AM
ronherman
Tourer

Looks like we both made his "wall of fame"!
Originally Posted by mdaycb
Paul did mine fairing also, Tequila Sunrise, it looks great, very happy with it. In fact that is my Fairing on his FB page, I just noticed that.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Johnny103ci
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ronherman
Attachment 284412 this is the after picture! he did a great job on paint and it only took 40 minutes from start to finish
What a difference that makes, looks great.