Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Inner Fairing Swap - Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Damn $300 is cheap. Local dealer wants $350 just for labor!

Old 01-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Blue Duck
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mines Done!

Just finished installing mine. I bought the Factory painted one. I generally wait until I get a 15 or 20% email from a dealer and buy. With the sale, doing the install myself, and hopefully selling my stock one I will be close to that $350. Like what was said the factory paint is excellent.

Se my pics of the difference it makes.

duck

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
Recently I was at my dealership getting some accessory installs done that were left over from the delivery of my 2012 Ultra last month. I was talking to the service writer and noticed they had a painted inner fairing hanging up on display so I asked about it. He said they have a swap-out program where they keep a few regular black ones in stock and will send them to a local paint shop to have them color matched to your bike. They give you the painted one, you give them your stock fairing plus $350. Of course you can't tell for sure this way, but the paint quality of the one on display seemed very good. According to the service guy, keeping a few in stock cuts down on both turnaround time and cost vs ordering a color matched fairing from HD and waiting 5-6 weeks.

The price of course does not include any labor. It seemed like a reasonable price to me but I was wondering what you guys thought. Also, I would have the dealer do the labor since no one wants me near anything mechanical with anything resembling a tool How many hours labor would be reasonable to remove the stock fairing and replace it with the painted one? And lastly, for those of you who had your inner fairing painted, was it a worthwhile mod for the money?

Thanks for chiming in!

Attached Thumbnails Painted Inner Fairing Swap - Opinions Please-dsc_0020.jpg   Painted Inner Fairing Swap - Opinions Please-dscn1282.jpg   Painted Inner Fairing Swap - Opinions Please-dscn1291.jpg  
Old 01-26-2012, 01:55 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The swap seems like a reasonable price. I personally would go for it.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:45 PM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
Thanks for the info. I looked up his ad on Craigslist and it does look very tempting...$300 painted and installed is a great deal, almost too good to be true! Has anyone seen this guys work or had any experience with him?

thanks!
I have seen others on here that have had theirs painted by him. I have talked with him and he is knowledgeable in the removal and install. You can always if not pleased with the paint when he brings the fairing not go for it. He told me I would be pleased with the paint. I believe he works for a paint co. but not sure.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:52 PM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You should price out some harley paint. There is no way he can do it for 300 with paint and labor. He probally using ppg paint and getting the color close.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:49 PM
OutlawBagger
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sporacer
You should price out some harley paint. There is no way he can do it for 300 with paint and labor. He probally using ppg paint and getting the color close.
PPG Pewter Denim paint base and clear was gonna run me close to $200. I'm getting mine dipped for $150 and doing the removal and install myself.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:00 PM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I removed mine and had a local painter who does alot of work for my local dealer paint it for $150. It came out great. Removing and installing the inner fairing was alot easier than I thought. If you have the service manual and take your time and mark all the connections you unplug you can't go wrong.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:22 PM
pt4u2nv
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Local painter did mine, Vivid Black for $100 and I did the labor myself. Great mod and paint was excellent. Took approx 7-8 hrs for removal and installation and I really took my time. Also bought a used inner from a friend that had purchased a painted one from HD and had it painted prior to pulling my original off. That way I had no wait time in between. Had my original inner then painted and swapped another friend for a set of vivid black lower fairings even up.I was a happy camper.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:07 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by tidbit1
I have seen others on here that have had theirs painted by him. I have talked with him and he is knowledgeable in the removal and install. You can always if not pleased with the paint when he brings the fairing not go for it. He told me I would be pleased with the paint. I believe he works for a paint co. but not sure.
tidbit,
did you end up getting your inner done by the guy on craigslist?

Old 03-07-2012, 10:28 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Another vote here for getting it done by the painter of your choice. I swapped one for a buddy a couple weeks ago and it was 3 1/2 hours, start to finish.

Quick Reply: Painted Inner Fairing Swap - Opinions Please