Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NON-VENTED lower fairing

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012 | 09:13 PM
kdodd
|
Cruiser
Default NON-VENTED lower fairing

Found a great deal on a new pair of non vented lower fairings, same color as my bike with all the hardware, do you think this would interfere with the air flow to the engine? I have a pair of the slip on lower fairing covers, witch I hate, and info with them said not to use in temps above 50 degrees, isn't this kinda the same thing? Just asking.

Old 01-24-2012 | 09:39 PM
CHILLLS
Road Captain

iv been thinking about getting a set of vented ones myself & have looked at them both & even the non vented look like they move air over the engine.

Old 01-24-2012 | 09:46 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Lightbulb

I had the non vented ones on my 2002 Ultra and the vented ones on my 2007 Ultra. The non vented can be pretty hot in the summer. Some guys take them off then. I never did but one time and put them right back on because of the wind whipping my pant legs, and air coming up from under the batwing fairing.

On the 2007 Ultra, I run the vents closed in the cooler months, which keeps my legs warmer and wide open in the summer letting more air get to the engine and letting my legs stay cooler. We get 100+degree days July through September.

If you have the option, I would go for the vented which gives you the best of both worlds.

Old 01-24-2012 | 10:04 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior

Both Vented and Non-Vented Lowers direct the air flow to the motor. They do not block motor cooling. The main difference is the Non-Vented trap air around the rider. This is great in the cooler months. But can be Hell in the heat of summer.
I have the Non-Vented FLT Lowers on my '09 Road Glide. I also had them on my 1989 and 1998 Ultra. At first I removed the Lowers in the summer. But this was a problem when it rained because I had gotten used to the Lowers blocking the rain when they were installed. So I found, and installed aftermarket vents. It gives me the protection I want but allows me to use the vents during the warmer days. And the Non-Vented Lowers were lower in cost than the Vented Lowers. It is the best of both worlds.

Old 01-24-2012 | 10:42 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

I prefer the extra foot-room of the non vented.

as pointed out above fairing lowers order the air flow across the motor.

My own 105º ambient temperature testing shows 25º cooler oil temps with fairing lowers on.

Mike

Old 01-25-2012 | 12:16 AM
ASPHALT WARRIOR
Cruiser
Default vented lowers

i just got a pair of vented lowers brand new with hardware from ebay for 419 free shipping ive always wanted a set but i wasnt bout to fork out 700 for harley ones and they seem really nice just a thought

Old 01-25-2012 | 03:51 AM
Rat1
Road Master

Non vented on mine and love them. If my feet get hot then I put them out on the highway pegs.

Old 01-25-2012 | 03:56 AM
havenolife
Tourer

as said above you can turn no vented to vented if its a grate deal why not try them the way they are you can and the vents later the non vented are shaped differnt and block more air that is nice in cooler weather they are held on with only 3 bolts so on and off is really no big deal I thank a Ultra looks funny without them HD does make a quick detachable kit you can remove the lowers without tools but only 3 bolts ahh why bother

Old 01-25-2012 | 04:58 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member

Non vented on mine and I like them......

Attached Thumbnails NON-VENTED lower fairing-custom-dynamics-directionals-medium-.jpg  
Old 01-25-2012 | 05:30 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

I've got the vented lowers. Being able to open the vents makes a huge difference in comfort if you live in an area where it gets hot and humid in summer.

Quick Reply: NON-VENTED lower fairing