Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have done to stop oil from leaking from air cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:52 AM
wildey
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sauceman
If you don't want the crankcase to vent back into the motor (like it's supposed to), an option is to install a catch can.

cheers
How does the catch ccan install to the breather since its a solid back plate with hollow bolts that vent inside? And who do you buy them from?

Old 06-30-2012, 12:29 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 567 Likes on 394 Posts

I've got a Baker +1.5 oil pan. I run it with 4 3/4 of a qt.So far so good..............

Old 06-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wildey
How does the catch ccan install to the breather since its a solid back plate with hollow bolts that vent inside? And who do you buy them from?
Well on my 2000 EGC you would remove the rubber hose from the back of the breather backing plate and run a longer hose to wherever you want to secure the catch can.

cheers

Old 07-01-2012, 06:05 PM
wildey
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sauceman
Well on my 2000 EGC you would remove the rubber hose from the back of the breather backing plate and run a longer hose to wherever you want to secure the catch can.

cheers
Ahhh, well thats a no go on a 2012 with a SE stage 1 kit

Old 07-02-2012, 06:57 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are pics of the K&N, RK-3930 on my 09 Ultra. You can see the oil pooled in the holes from the breather bolts. Also where it has run down the backing plate.
Name:  2012-07-01_16-29-45_817.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  184.5 KB
Here you can see the large "plugs" for the holes. They are slightly smaller than the holes, I suppose so the mist gets sucked into the air flow.
Name:  2012-07-01_16-30-13_561.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  136.8 KB
I'm thinking put a hole through that "plug" for a hose to run to the throttle body.

Here the stock air cleaner and hoses are shown. They stop just above the throttle body, so maybe the oil would run into the throttle body.
Name:  2012-07-01_16-30-30_41.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  171.1 KB

Old 07-02-2012, 07:28 AM
BackAt5O
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFirstHD
I'm sold, where did you get the hose, or more specifically, what kind of hose is it? Did you pull the fitting off your A/C and bring it to Autozone? It looks like you used Baling Wire.
The tubing was purchased at an auto store, I believe it was 3/16" ID. (nothing special) The baling wire is aircraft safety wire. I used safety wire to secure the tubing to the ac nipples and keep the tubing in the air flow. I will upgrade to copper or stainless tubing this winter, like someone posted earlier.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:22 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

Originally Posted by BackAt5O
The tubing was purchased at an auto store, I believe it was 3/16" ID. (nothing special) The baling wire is aircraft safety wire. I used safety wire to secure the tubing to the ac nipples and keep the tubing in the air flow. I will upgrade to copper or stainless tubing this winter, like someone posted earlier.
I didn't realize that none of the pictures had a air cleaner back plate like my stock 2006. I'm kind of limited. I have a K&N but it's the stock replacment with solid back. Since the tubing runs into the back, I might try tubing about 5" longer than stock and run it into the back plate and out the opening and tie them together.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 AM
67wizard
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May have to try some of the ideas listed here. The only time I get oil seepage from the filter area is when I come down from a long hill, I mean like three or four miles of down hill, just a little gas every now and then to maintain speed of 60MPH. I run it justabout 1/4 of a quart low so that helps. then again when I drain it I only get a little over three and a half quarts out.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:05 PM
67wizard
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Went out and checked and its a no go on my bike. SE stage one air cleaner. I don.t get much seepage any ways. Guess I'll just wipe it
down after a long ride.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:40 PM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

Originally Posted by MyFirstHD
I didn't realize that none of the pictures had a air cleaner back plate like my stock 2006. I'm kind of limited. I have a K&N but it's the stock replacement with solid back. Since the tubing runs into the back, I might try tubing about 5" longer than stock and run it into the back plate and out the opening and tie them together.
Here's what I tried. I took longer vacuum hose and ran it through the inside of the K&N filter and tied the hoses to the opening with steel wire. I've been running it a week. When I first start up and when I accelerate to get to freeway speeds my "check engine" light comes on for a few seconds, then goes out. Anyone else having issues with pumping the crank case vent directly into the throttle opening?

Quick Reply: What have done to stop oil from leaking from air cleaner?