Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Mark98012
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking CB Question

I just got a 2011 Ultra Limited. I have never had a CB on a bike or otherwise. The owner's manual doesn't give you a lot of information either. How does it work (sounds stupid, doesn't it?)? I can turn it on, set it to a particular channel and when I "push to talk" I hear "fuzz". When you receive, is the radio interrupted? I have made the tour pak detachable with both antennas relocated and am keeping the CB attached because I've been out in the boondocks while traveling with no cell service. I honestly do not know how this damn thing works. Need some help guys, thanks.

Mark

Old 01-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain

First, and obviously, you will not be able to transmit unless you purchase and install either a hand held microphone or a head set with a built in microphone. These will need to be attached to the intercom plug. If you use the headset, then you will use the push to talk button on the left handlebar when speaking.

On my bike, I turn the CB off and on by pushing the Com button on the upper left side of the radio. Once that's on, you can change channels on the screen or with the hand controls near your left thumb. If you push the Com button again, you'll see the normal radio information display on the radio.

You can adjust the volume of the CB separately from the radio. Again, most of the controls are on the left handlebar.

If a transmission comes in, it will interrupt whatever's playing on the radio (AM/FM/CD) and you'll hear the broadcast.

You can adjust sensitivity of the CB with what's called the squelch. If you don't hear anything, turn the squelch down until you hear a static like noise. If the squelch is too low, all you'll hear is static all the time. I usually have mine set on four bars. This filters out most static and I can still hear weaker signals. In some areas while riding, the static will go much higher and you'll hear a lot of noise. When mine does that I either increase the squelch or just turn down the volume until I ride out of the area.

Never try to talk on the CB without an antenna being attached. The internal circuits are designed for the resistance of the antenna and if you key the mike without the antenna you could damage the radio.

The range of the CB is limited, maybe a half mile to a mile under ideal conditions. Don't expect to use it for emergencies unless you're lucky enough to have someone fairly close listening to your channel.

Most truckers and others on the highways use channel 19. If you listen for a while you'll hear most of the traffic issues discussed as everyone else will be talking about them.

If you ride with a group or with someone else with a CB on their bike, you might want to pick another channel to use especially if you want to talk to each other very much. People on channel 19 might block or override your transmissions and you won't be able to hear each other. Another option would be to establish a second channel and tell each other to go to that channel when you want to talk about anything for more than a few seconds.

Oh, you'll need a cool "handle" to use as your name when talking on the radio. Make up a silly name and use it to identify yourself when talking with others.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:10 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

The CB volume control is on a separate screen than the radio volume. Yes the CB will interrupt the radio when someone talks. Push the com button on the radio to access the controls. You can turn the radio down if you just want to hear the CB.

Range isn't that good on the CB, maybe a few miles, maybe 1/2 mile, just depends.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Mark98012
Tourer

I have a headset, you guys have answered my questions. thanks.

Mark

Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 PM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm still wondering what's holding the world up from going with GMRS... 10x the range (easily), clarity, security (if you want it)...

Not that I have a particular problem for those who want to stick with CB, but the 27MHz band is... I mean, it's awfully antiquated by FRS/GMRS standards...

Just thinking out loud - Figuratively speaking - Figuratively speaking of speaking - Typing.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnScrip
I'm still wondering what's holding the world up from going with GMRS... 10x the range (easily), clarity, security (if you want it)...

Not that I have a particular problem for those who want to stick with CB, but the 27MHz band is... I mean, it's awfully antiquated by FRS/GMRS standards...

Just thinking out loud - Figuratively speaking - Figuratively speaking of speaking - Typing.
I agree with this suggestion. The antenna would only have to be about 9 inches long to be the same as the cb 9 foot whip. Also never a problem with skip and very little problem with static. Maybe some day.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:23 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a pair of Midland GMRS radios (and I'm the only guy I know that actually has the Z-class license for them - but I think they don't even require it anymore) and a couple over-ear boom mics for them (as difficult as they are to hear at 75MPH). They work for miles - clearly (again, sans the wind noise). I bring them with when I hit the lakes and I can talk to the cabin from three lakes (a few miles) away as if they were in the next room (I used to bring Citizen's Band walkie talkies and could barely make it to the middle of the first lake with a 3-foot whip sticking up in the air).

I was sure that CB/FRS radios were going to pop up in the 2k's like CD/Cassette decks were popping up in the 90's (and as the cassettes went the way of the dinosaur, I figured for sure that the 27MHz band would be as barren as MySpace by now).

But I guess that's why they don't pay me the big bucks for my clairvoyance...