Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to decide which Hammock seat to buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 05:21 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,422 Likes on 8,417 Posts
Default Trying to decide which Hammock seat to buy

I have a 2010 Ultra with the adjustable backrest. I am looking into buying a Hammock seat and there are 2 different models of the Hammock seat part#52000003 and part#53051-09. I want to be able to use my adjustable backrest with the seat I buy. I don't want the base of the adjustable backrest sticking through the top of the seat.

My problem with the original seat is it pushes me too for forward and I fill like I am riding the gas tank.

Does anyone use the adjustable backrest with their Hammock seat. If so, which one of the Hammock seats do you have and do you like it.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:00 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 604 Likes on 439 Posts

I have used a riders backrest with my heated hammock rider and passenger seat. It feels ok. kinda sits in the same stock seat position. Before that I had the rider only hammock seat. It seems to sit you back from the tank about 1" - 1 1/2". I like the riding position of it better. I sold it to pay for the heated 1. After I put a few miles on the heated seat I realized I liked the rider only hammock better. The heat is nice but having more leg room is also nice. That said I won't sell the heated seat to switch back.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:27 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
I have used a riders backrest with my heated hammock rider and passenger seat. It feels ok. kinda sits in the same stock seat position. Before that I had the rider only hammock seat. It seems to sit you back from the tank about 1" - 1 1/2". I like the riding position of it better. I sold it to pay for the heated 1. After I put a few miles on the heated seat I realized I liked the rider only hammock better. The heat is nice but having more leg room is also nice. That said I won't sell the heated seat to switch back.
Is this the adjustable backrest mounting kit that you were using? If so did the mounting kit stick through the top of the seat?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 01-21-2012, 10:28 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 604 Likes on 439 Posts

No its the non adjustable one. HMT

Old 01-22-2012, 01:25 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
No its the non adjustable one. HMT
Thanks for your reply heavy. Can anyone else help me out with this?

Old 01-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the Harley® Hammock Rider and Passenger Touring Seat (# 52000003) with the adjustable backrest.
To me it sits me back farther.
It doesn not stick up higher than the seat.

However it does not line up exactly with the whole/slot in the seat.
It pushes the whole forward just a little, but can not feel it at all. It's just a cosmetic thing.
(I do ride with the backrest extremely forward, to make me sit up straight)

Old 01-22-2012, 02:09 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy

It pushes the whole forward just a little, but can not feel it at all. It's just a cosmetic thing.
I noticed the same thing on my stock SG seat and HD backrest. Seems like a design flaw to me. To me it pushed me too far forward, even maxed out to the rear.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:39 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
I have the Harley® Hammock Rider and Passenger Touring Seat (# 52000003) with the adjustable backrest.
To me it sits me back farther.
It doesn not stick up higher than the seat.

Thanks for the picture Tex. Even on the stock seat the backrest seems to be a little too far forward in the slit of the sit.

The pictures seem to indicate that your seat would not only move the rider back a little but also raise the rider up a couple of inches which would help me. Am I right about that?

Old 01-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've used this seat (part#52000003) on my 09 RoadGlide and it worked great. I think I did have to adjust the position of the backrest mounting bracket to accommodate the difference between the Sundowner and the Hammock.

With the adjustable backrest, I'm not sure if the mounting bracket under the seat is movable (extra holes for the mounting), but should help with the positioning through the slot in the seat.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:20 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the hammock seat and the seat is maybe 1 inch taller than stock, at least on my 11 flhrc....

Quick Reply: Trying to decide which Hammock seat to buy