Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King down for apes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts
Default Road King down for apes

Probably get it back next week. 14" Wild1 Chubbys, I'm so geeked. My apologies to the folks that will dis me for not doing it myself. While I would really love to dive in on it, I really dont have the time or the patience. Maybe I'll be able to tackle this stuff after I retire.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:05 PM
davidsdad
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of installing my new 16" Gangster Apes.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by davidsdad
I'm in the process of installing my new 16" Gangster Apes.
Good luck! Em are some tall apes!

Old 01-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Smokengun
Tourer

Keith, no worries about not doing it yourself. I'd have someone do it as well. Yer not alone. he he. Mine came with 16's on it. That's even lazier than having someone else do it. LOL!!

Old 01-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Smokengun
Keith, no worries about not doing it yourself. I'd have someone do it as well. Yer not alone. he he. Mine came with 16's on it. That's even lazier than having someone else do it. LOL!!
I put the air cleaner on, any points for that?

Old 01-21-2012, 04:30 PM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got some 10" mini apes WO515 about two weeks ago, but the minute I pulled them out of the box, I knew they were too small. I was going to put them on last Saturday, but I know I made a mistake, I should have gone with the 12 1/2" Chubbies. So, I've just been sitting on my bike and holding these 10's up an trying to imagine where they will go, but they are just not going to work. So, I guess I'm gonna try Wild One's "return policy" to see if they will waive their restocking fee. I've been real careful to NOT put any scratches on them, so I'll see how it goes. I really like your 14's, and probably should try them, but I think I'm going to try for an exchange to get some 12 1/2".

Man, it would be way to easy if you could just find a store somewhere that stocked this stuff so you could see it before you buy.

Anyway, thanks for posting a pic of your bike with the 14's. They look great!

Mike

Old 01-21-2012, 05:09 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If your only doing the 12s do yourself a favor & go sit on a new Heritage at your dealer. Their only 1" bars but you'll get a feel for them. I put them on my Roadking & they were cheap...Just sayin!

Last edited by klaybus; 01-21-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,514 Posts

I'm not all that into apes but I (yes me) put 11" Santee 1¼" dia. mini-apes on my RKC, , had originally put some HD Heritage 'Style' bars on so I wouldn't have to fool with replacing the stock clutch cable and brake line, but they had to go because of the weird wrist angles, the Santee's are perfect and don't look like ape hangers and have the perfect wrist angle and I also wired them internally for about $10 in material, the TBW side was a little tight but pulled through ok.,

I did have to extend the clutch cable and brake line (went with "Made in USA" 6+ Magnum Black Pearls on both sides), the time and effort was well worth it and I'm getting to know my new bike more and more everytime I do something to it, btw... all of the above is a first for me, what a great experience and keeps the needle low on the intimidation meter.

I'll get real pics when I uncover it next time I fire up the heat in the garage.

these Santee 11" / 1¼" bars (being reviewed in video) are very nice for the price and very comfortable, a puts a nice beefy touch up front unlike the stock 1" bars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h973N_yL6B0

Last edited by Buckinfitch; 01-22-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

I admire the DIY'ers for sure. Again, mostly for me its about available time, although I do admit to feeling some intimidation. Good news is the result will be bars that I dig.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Smokengun
Tourer

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I put the air cleaner on, any points for that?
LOL!! Man you and I are twins. I put my air cleaner on myself as well. WOO HOO!! We're master mechanics.

Quick Reply: Road King down for apes