Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 07 Ultra. Fresh engine build. Also ?'s about IDS on higher HP bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 01:29 PM
2007 HD Ultra Classic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
Looks like you are off to a great start. The 30T/68T, did that a number of years ago, probably was the first to do it on an 07. I am running the SE compensator and with the 30t/68T no IDS, never missed it.

I agree, check your crank runout. First time in replacing cams I was at .005 and the next time still .005. Next build 117 ???, it will be trued and welded.

Not sure what you are doing for tuning? If you have the old SERT with your bike, O would recommend upgrading it to the TTS Mastertune for $100. If you are doing all these changes, you probably would enjoy VTuning your ride with the TTS.
Did the 30/68 gearing pep the bike up any? Im heading to HD to pick up the compensator now. Looking at the galling on mine, its time either way. Considering what ive read, that sounds like 220$ well spent. The IDS conversion will only end up costing 250$. With the price of the 30T drive sprocket the SE compensator, IDS and regearing should be done for $550, 2 hours plus some Amsoil severe gear. I suspect those mods alone will be well worth the $550.

Also, can you gentlemen give me some info on the TTS? Im still Harley dumb. I do have the SERT that came with the stage 3 kit, my tuner will be handling the hard part with the tuning. I wasnt aware that I will have 6th gear light issues with the gearing change? I figured that was on a switch in the trans?? lol. My speedo is off a pinch already, should only get worse from here!

-Ryan

Last edited by 2007 HD Ultra Classic; 01-21-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:41 PM
2007 HD Ultra Classic
Cruiser
Talking

After more thought I decided to remove the engine and send the crank to Darkhorse to have H beam rods installed, pinned, trued and welded. That way I have the road paded for later upgrades without fear of failure. Im this far, its really not alot further to remove the engine. I will be removing it this evening and splitting it open. Ill use this as a reason to improve the bottom end bearings and make sure all the clearances are nice and snug....

At this point another grand really doesent make alot of a difference.

We'll see how this ends up!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:31 AM
2007 HD Ultra Classic
Cruiser

Stopped at Harley on the way home and ordered the compensator bowl and cusions to fininsh the isolated drive. It will work perfectly with the 68T Japan Sporty rear sprocket. The IDS is a very simple swap and required very few parts to do. Whole setup for $250.

I will be having HD fit the LH case side with the SE Timken conversion while its apart. Those parts are ordered as well as the SE compensator.

-Ryan

Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 PM
2007 HD Ultra Classic
Cruiser
Talking

As of today, John at Darkhorse Crankworks has my crankshaft. Ill be weighing the pistons tomorrow and sending him the info. It will be plugged, welded and trued with a sexy set of H-beam rods installed, then balanced. The parts arrived to do the lefty bearing conversion as well. As soon as the crank comes back, it will go to the stealer to fit the lefty bearing to the case and install the timkens for the cams. Hopefully have it back in my hands for the weekend of the 11th so I can start reassembling. I figure Ill mount the bottom end to an engine stand and build the assembly complete, then reinstall.

Im going to order the TTS mastertune this evening. Hopefully other than some misc. gaskets were done ordering parts for a while.

I need some more scab work to fund this project

Old 02-09-2012, 12:59 PM
2007 HD Ultra Classic
Cruiser

Well,

As of today I still do not have my crankshaft back in my hands from Darkhorse. Hopefully will have it early next week so I can have the case work done by the weekend of Feb. 18th. Im getting antsy to at least assemble the case and cams and get the cylinders in place. I pick up the heads tomorrow and they head off to Baisley from there. Dan at Baisley figured 5 buisness days to complete, plus shipping time. Hope to have them back around March 1st. Porting looks top notch and the valve work looks great as well. I think this bike will run very well.

But definately behind scedule as of right now.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:16 PM
mfortkamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

thats what im talken bout. I like the fact that you start a thread and follow through with it. I am doing the 30/68 on mine as well. I wish i could find the $$$ for the motor, but for now I will live with my 555 cams. maybe a 2 into 1 soon on the verge but havent fallen yet.
keep up the updates when you get stuff back in and together. def wondering bout ur #'s should be one fun couch!!!

Old 02-09-2012, 06:06 PM
2007 HD Ultra Classic
Cruiser
Smile

I have plenty of projects I havent finished, but I really like this Harley alot. Hopefully this comes together as planned and it runs well without a hitch (fat chance) Im thinking ill end up using my pushrod length checkers and order custom pushrods rather than use the adjustables. I have heard of people having great luch with them, and people who have had them come loose. It will be more work to service, but worth the peice of mind to me.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:32 PM
2007 HD Ultra Classic
Cruiser

Crankshaft en route. Lefty bearings and parts available for pickup. Hoping to have a shortblock this weekend

Old 02-13-2012, 04:34 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got about 42,000 miles out of my IDS sprocket bearing before it had to be replaced on my 07 Ultra.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:15 PM
2007 HD Ultra Classic
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jimclaypool
I got about 42,000 miles out of my IDS sprocket bearing before it had to be replaced on my 07 Ultra.

Thanks, thats good information. For the price of the bearing and how simple it is to change, I figure ill replace it and the rubber cusions every rear tire. Since I do the wheel remove and install myself and can get a stock rear tire from Dennis Kirk for 125, I can do the job for less than 200 each time. Still cheaper than paying the stealer to do a tire alone. Im excited to see how the bike feels with new gearing, the IDS setup and a SE compensator.

Quick Reply: New 07 Ultra. Fresh engine build. Also ?'s about IDS on higher HP bikes?