Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

soft bag advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default soft bag advice

Folks, those of you running soft collapsible leather bags such as like what many run on the heritage, road king, etc., Can you get a helmet and a full jacket in them?
Are the capacities similar to hard bags such as like found on a street glide for instance because they are collapsible?
I'm considering trading out my hard bags and going into soft bags for my switchback but using my existing hard bag quick release hardware on them. Any thoughts, suggestions or advice?

Old 01-20-2012, 01:31 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

You will probably get more responses in the Softail section for this question.

On my Fatboy I ran Boss Springer # 37 bags (the 37 means they fit 37 12oz cans each) and they easily fit a helmet. I also had Osprey bags for a while and they fit a helmet. I know that Iron bags and Boss and maybe Hog Deluxe or Osprey all make a pretty good size bag.

I think the bags on your Switchback are smaller than the Boss bags. One of the problems you may have is the shocks on your bike will decrease the size vs the softails that dont have to fit around a shock. Also if you cant use the bottom mount that you have on your bags they will move around a bit

Here a picture of both the Springer style and the "flat top" Ospreys

Attached Thumbnails soft bag advice-3-30-bags-only.jpg   soft bag advice-fairing-side-3.1.jpg  

Last edited by XARAN; 01-20-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:45 PM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by XARAN
You will probably get more responses in the Softail section for this question.

On my Fatboy I ran Boss Springer # 37 bags (the 37 means they fit 37 12oz cans each) and they easily fit a helmet. I also had Osprey bags for a while and they fit a helmet. I know that Iron bags and Boss and maybe Hog Deluxe or Osprey all make a pretty good size bag.

I think the bags on your Switchback are smaller than the Boss bags. One of the problems you may have is the shocks on your bike will decrease the size vs the softails that dont have to fit around a shock. Also if you cant use the bottom mount that you have on your bags they will move around a bit

Here a picture of both the Springer style and the "flat top" Ospreys
Thanks for the reply X. Since I posted I discovered the boss bags site and they have some nice bags, no doubt. Your bike looks awesome and I don't mean just the bags, nice fatboy. I like the way they narrow at the top too

Yeah, my bags are too narrow for a helmet and because they are also shorter, they look odd to me. Another problem is when i have a passenger, the back of her calves rub on the lids. So bags that graduate from narrow at the top to a width able to accommodate a helmet in the bottom, like yours, would do it for me. I think I'll call them about the hardware issue, thanks again for the post.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:30 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

If you find a set of Boss Bags that you like and will work, check with Drew at Dr V Twin to order they can save you some $. I ordered my bags through them and saved over $ 200 at the time from the list price on the Boss site.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:54 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by XARAN
If you find a set of Boss Bags that you like and will work, check with Drew at Dr V Twin to order they can save you some $. I ordered my bags through them and saved over $ 200 at the time from the list price on the Boss site.
Yes, i know about that vendor and have heard really good things about their service and pricing. When something comes on the market for the fld, I will contact them.

I guess I'm going to have to wait for the different bag companies to come up with something for my bike in regard to the brackets. Me trying to come up with something that "may" work, probably "wont" lol.
Thanks again for your time.
I'm gonna have to shelf this idea for now.