Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TBW Question/Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:02 AM
jjpish
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TBW Question/Questions....

Hello;

I am in the process of installing 13" Apes on my Ultra. After reading posts here about the TBW I decided to spend the $100 on the SE twist Grip Sensor Kit. I have a few questions:

* There are 8 wires (3) in a yellow sheath (3) in a black sheath (2) in a black sheath. I know/think the (2) are for heated grips of which I do not have. When I pulled the wires through the bars they were not long enough to come out. They were considerably shorter than the other 6 wires. Problem is I did not protect the ends and just had taped them to the bundle. I inteneded on just puttting them in the plug and just letting them hang in the fairing as the stock did. Now I have two open wires touching inside the bars. Thoeretically they should be dead wires with no power to them and it should not matter....Should it????

* As far as the 6 other wires are concerned: the stock set up had multi color blue, brown, red, black etc... The new set is Red-White-Black in the yellow sheath and Red-White-Black in the black sheath. I stopped by the HD shop yesterday and it took 3 techs and a long time to tell me it did not matter just put 3 along the top row in the clip and 3 along the bottom row same sequence. I am just double checking because they seemed pretty unsure themselves.
Stock Clip

New Wires

* The last question I think is easy, the stock setup came out of the bars 18" the new only come out 10" so I assume I can relocate the connector in the fairing and be fine?

Thanks
Joe

Old 01-20-2012, 08:15 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Joe...

I can only answer part of your question, and I have a question for you.

I would not leave the bare connectors in the handlebars. Pull them back out and place heat shrink or tape over them. It may not be a problem, but from an electrical/electronics practices point of view I just don't think that it's a good idea!

Here's my question for you...what is the SE Twist Grip Sensor Kit? Longer wires, different setup...I simply have not heard of it.

I hope I didn't/don't hijack your post!

Steve

Old 01-20-2012, 08:35 AM
jjpish
Road Captain

Hey Steve;

Thanks for the input. That is my thought just dont know what can happen with bare wires...

The SE (guys call it the SE because it is the one they use on the Screaming Eagle models) is HD part number 32310-08. It is the entire Twist Grip Sensor. Basically it has longer wires and eliminates the little green plug that is part of the stock sensor. Guys have had trouble running the green plug through the bars and have to solder extension wires on to the stock to make them long enough.

I have read both schools of thought on soldering the TBW (the pros and cons per say) and it was worth $100 to me for piece of mind.

Thanks
Joe

Old 01-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

I wish Harley would put ALL of their @#$%ing parts on their web site. If you search for that part number (or the A version which I believe is more current), you get no results. True for lots of more (and less) obscure parts.

Whats up w/that?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:20 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

The bigger a company gets the more hoops and rabbit holes you need to jump thru....I personally blame it on the IT squints not picking it up where it was left off.....or management not wanting to waste the resource to find where they left it off whichever is more plausible....apologize to my IT brothers out there.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:49 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I wish Harley would put ALL of their @#$%ing parts on their web site. If you search for that part number (or the A version which I believe is more current), you get no results. True for lots of more (and less) obscure parts.

Whats up w/that?
because it isn't a p&a part. oem parts are not found on the website, which bites.... obvious exception is the oil filter, oils, etc.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:18 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

those red /white and black wires are kinda tricky those control your idle if there on backwards your motor will start at wide open throttle. it happen to me thats why i thought i would mention to ya. if this happens just switch the wires and u will be ok if iam outta line sorry just dont want to see anyones motor get damaged.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 AM
jjpish
Road Captain

Thanks Roadgliderick; I appreciate your advice that is why I posted this. The guys at the HD shop said it was no big deal and nothing would happen but I know that is not correct. I trust the guys on this forum far more than them.

So I am thinking Red-White-Black in the Top row Red-White-Black in the bottom row. Any tips on which is which? Yellow casing on top or bottom?

Thanks
Joe

Old 01-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Cme2c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the other half of the connector there are gray, violet, red, black, blue & brown wires. Match up your new wires to the old like this: Yellow bundle: black to gray, white to violet, red to red.
Black bundle: black to black, white to blue, red to brown. I got this off another thread & just did mine yesterday. Haven't had a chance to try it yet to see if it works!

Old 01-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Tee Bagger
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same thing you did...left the 2 wires in the bars...they'll be fine. Ran the harness under the radio...plenty of wire.

Quick Reply: TBW Question/Questions....