Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More bike lift questions and my experiences

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 06:43 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: More bike lift questions and my experiences

ORIGINAL: Rodman813

Danall.......sure.... I have the sears red jack, and harbor freight dolly

First the dolly: You can adjust the desired height (3 positions to choose from). and the width of the rails are also adjustable (any length - excepts safe limits of course)

Very simple.... Use the jack to lift bike up higher than the height you select of the dolly. Adjust the width of the dolly so that it strattles the "outsides" of the two jack pads. (I adjust the width very close to the jack pads outer width length). Slide the dolly under the bike (from the opposite side of the lift) Center it, and lower the bike onto the dolly. Contuinue to lower the jack until you can pull it from underneath the bike safely. TOSS THE JACK until you need it again.

THE DOLLY IS GREAT, AND SOLID AS A ROCK

the dolly is from harbor frieght: Haul Master: Model 94778
Just what I have been looking for! I just ordered my dolly from Harbor Freight. Can`t wait till it gets here. Do you know what the minimum hight adjustment is? Thanks for the great information.

Ride safe,

Mike

Old 12-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 8,055 Likes on 4,214 Posts

Hey Glide,
Go to HF's website and it has the height settings and width settings
ORIGINAL: StreetGlide2006

ORIGINAL: Rodman813

Danall.......sure.... I have the sears red jack, and harbor freight dolly

First the dolly: You can adjust the desired height (3 positions to choose from). and the width of the rails are also adjustable (any length - excepts safe limits of course)

Very simple.... Use the jack to lift bike up higher than the height you select of the dolly. Adjust the width of the dolly so that it strattles the "outsides" of the two jack pads. (I adjust the width very close to the jack pads outer width length). Slide the dolly under the bike (from the opposite side of the lift) Center it, and lower the bike onto the dolly. Contuinue to lower the jack until you can pull it from underneath the bike safely. TOSS THE JACK until you need it again.

THE DOLLY IS GREAT, AND SOLID AS A ROCK

the dolly is from harbor frieght: Haul Master: Model 94778
Just what I have been looking for! I just ordered my dolly from Harbor Freight. Can`t wait till it gets here. Do you know what the minimum hight adjustment is? Thanks for the great information.

Ride safe,

Mike

Old 12-13-2006, 07:23 PM
parakiller
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered my Harbor Master 1000lb motorcycle stand. 50 bucks with tax ans shipping... not bad.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:25 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior

Yea I went back after I ordered it & found the info!

Thanks,

Mike

Old 12-13-2006, 07:49 PM
jmorton10
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: jmacdonald5

No offense, but what the hell are you guys talking about? I have the "Red-Lift" and use it on an 05 E-Glide. Absolutley the best deal on Earth as far as lifts go.
I agree 100%, I got the Sears red jack for $69 & it rocks. I also have the yellow Sears model(I got it free).

Believe me, if I had paid for the yellow jack I would have returned it after the first time I used it.

I REALLY can't see any home wrench buying a $400 jack, that makes no sense at all IMHO.

I do 100% of my own wrenching & have for over 30 years(I used to work in a Harley dealer years ago). I built my last bike totally from scratch, so I probably use a jack more than most people on this board & I think the red Sears jack is awesome.

Heck, how often do most guys even need a jack really?? I bought my 04 RK new & I have heavily modified the engine & totally reworked the front end(I had it apart three times)etc. The only times I really needed the jack where to take the front end apart & to change the shocks.

I find it's easier to do oil changes/tranny oil etc. with the bike on the ground anyway.

~John

Old 12-13-2006, 08:41 PM
flakdog
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: jmorton10

ORIGINAL: jmacdonald5

No offense, but what the hell are you guys talking about? I have the "Red-Lift" and use it on an 05 E-Glide. Absolutley the best deal on Earth as far as lifts go.
I agree 100%, I got the Sears red jack for $69 & it rocks. I also have the yellow Sears model(I got it free).

Believe me, if I had paid for the yellow jack I would have returned it after the first time I used it.

I REALLY can't see any home wrench buying a $400 jack, that makes no sense at all IMHO.

I do 100% of my own wrenching & have for over 30 years(I used to work in a Harley dealer years ago). I built my last bike totally from scratch, so I probably use a jack more than most people on this board & I think the red Sears jack is awesome.

Heck, how often do most guys even need a jack really?? I bought my 04 RK new & I have heavily modified the engine & totally reworked the front end(I had it apart three times)etc. The only times I really needed the jack where to take the front end apart & to change the shocks.

I find it's easier to do oil changes/tranny oil etc. with the bike on the ground anyway.

~John
John,
You are probably not a lazy fat guy like me! I like to lift it to clean, don't like to root around on the ground. Gravity is not my friend.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:31 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I use my stand alot. And I sit on my little rolling stool when I'm working on the bike.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:50 PM
Rodman813
Road Captain

there are a few motorcycle dollies out there up to $300....A buddy of mine bought one before I found my Harbor Freight one. The only difference is his dolly has welded joints instead of bolts, and better wheels.

But the Harbor Freaight one is great.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:26 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was at Harbor Freight today to check out the dolly for $39.99, which looks pretty nice. And saw their jack that they have foe $59.99. It blows away the Sears jack. Rated at 1500 lbs. and looks to be as sturdy as the $400 K&L jack that I have. Looks like a nice X-mas present for someone!

Old 12-14-2006, 04:00 PM
HardCore_18
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to use those type of lifts. Gave them away-not a big fan of hydraulic with minimal locking features. I have the full motorcycle lift with the blackjack lift from "direct lift." It's black diamond plate and it runs off my air compressor. It makes it a lot easier when working on your bike. the black jack goes underneath the frame- to raise either the front or rear.

Quick Reply: More bike lift questions and my experiences