Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More bike lift questions and my experiences

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 10:38 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: More bike lift questions and my experiences

No offense, but what the hell are you guys talking about? I have the "Red-Lift" and use it on an 05 E-Glide. Absolutley the best deal on Earth as far as lifts go. I paid $79.00 freekin dollars for this one compared to what?, $300-$400 for others! All you gotta do is shove it under till it hits, then pull the bike straight up off the Jiffy stand, then jack it up. Once it's up just put jack-stands under the floor board brackets in front, and the pegs/boards in rear. Then lower and pull out the jack. Cripes, I saw that Jack on sale this summer for $59.00 bucks!!!! Why wouldn't anybody jump on that thing at that price. It definately does the job....Joe Mac

[IMG]local://upfiles/20949/EFA7DE23ED4D4A6E83ED3B58EAE2C12C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sheeesh....I was planning on buying a bike lift this weekend and I didn't think I was going to have to get jackstands as well to get decent stabilty.
I was looking at the J&S lift but I don't want to pay that kind of money for something I'll rarely use.
jmacdonald5......to me it sounds a bit dicey to expect the floorboard brackets to stand up to the weight of the bike. Wouldn't it make more sense to put the jack stands under the frame rails?

Back to square one, now.

CN

Old 12-12-2006, 11:20 PM
christian0632
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a sears lift that works pretty good but to tell the truth, 90% of the time I use a simple lift I made from two 4X4's and a piece of pipe. Although I can only lift one end at a time (front wheel or rear wheel), it is very stable and perfect for cleaning wheels or yanking on a part. As for oil changes, I actually have two eye bolts in my garage floor I use to tie-down the bike to. Works well, bike stays straight up, and oil changes are easy. I don't trust the sears lift for those times when I have to jerk a bolt loose or yank on a part.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Rodman813
Road Captain

I haven't needed to get to those plugs yet, but I will say YES. The dolly contacts the frame on the upward curvature of the frame. Therefore, if these plugs are located above/along the flat part of the frame, YES!!!!!!

When I bought the Dolly, I thought it was defective becasue the rails were at an angle. But after puttin gthe bike on it, the angle of the rails fit perfectly on the frame as it starts to curve up. SO you have alot of room b/w rails....

Old 12-13-2006, 06:21 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Daaaa! That is why I,ve posted before that the jacks from J and S are light years ahead of those el cheap oooos. Take a look at their demo of how good their jack really is. Then tell me it is not superior to those K mar=t specials!

Old 12-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Danall
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Rodman.
That Lift and Dolly idea sounds like just what I'm looking for. Can you please explain in more detail how you put your bike on the dolly with the lift, and can you send some more info on which dolly you purchased.
Tks.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:09 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say that I have the yellow jack from Harbor Freight. When it's up there is some movement back and fourth and it was spooky at first however I have gotten used to that movement. I just got throught changing exhaust on the bike, tugging and pulling on bolts and mufflers. Yeah the bike moved around a bit but it didnt even come close to feeling like it was going to go anywhere. I have climbed on and sat on the bike while it was in the air. Movement? Yeah, but it never felt like it was going to fall.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:19 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't buy the Goodyear lift that Sams sells. I'm on my 3rd hydraulic jack for it (good warranty service) and it is already twisted from jacking our Ultra. When I have the bike up andam nervously turning wrenches, I just put a concrete block under each wheel tight to keep it from rocking.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Received 8,055 Likes on 4,214 Posts

Whoa, GG!
If that sucker has twisted (do you mean the lifting arms.. the metal framework) it is a wonder it hasn't already failed. Junk that SOB jack or get your money back fast!
ORIGINAL: geargrinder

Don't buy the Goodyear lift that Sams sells. I'm on my 3rd hydraulic jack for it (good warranty service) and it is already twisted from jacking our Ultra. When I have the bike up andam nervously turning wrenches, I just put a concrete block under each wheel tight to keep it from rocking.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Rodman813
Road Captain

Danall.......sure.... I have the sears red jack, and harbor freight dolly

First the dolly: You can adjust the desired height (3 positions to choose from). and the width of the rails are also adjustable (any length - excepts safe limits of course)

Very simple.... Use the jack to lift bike up higher than the height you select of the dolly. Adjust the width of the dolly so that it strattles the "outsides" of the two jack pads. (I adjust the width very close to the jack pads outer width length). Slide the dolly under the bike (from the opposite side of the lift) Center it, and lower the bike onto the dolly. Contuinue to lower the jack until you can pull it from underneath the bike safely. TOSS THE JACK until you need it again.

THE DOLLY IS GREAT, AND SOLID AS A ROCK

the dolly is from harbor frieght: Haul Master: Model 94778

Quick Reply: More bike lift questions and my experiences