Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Seat Strap from '09 FLHRC

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:43 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by coolerman69
Its intentended purpose is to hold the seat on should the fender bolt come out. Its a C M A thing for the MOCO. Still though its useless.
I don't think that is the intention, although it would do that to a degree on the RKC. On my Sporty, though, the strap was an integral part of the seat and not separately connected to the bike. When the seat came off, the strap came off with it. If it was a backup safety feature, they would have the strap attach to the frame, not the seat, in all models.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Greg2006
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just removed both brackets and strap and put my mustang seat on without the strap.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:57 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I don't think that is the intention, although it would do that to a degree on the RKC. On my Sporty, though, the strap was an integral part of the seat and not separately connected to the bike. When the seat came off, the strap came off with it. If it was a backup safety feature, they would have the strap attach to the frame, not the seat, in all models.
Well I was referring to the touring bikes. That was the answer given to me from a harley engineer!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:28 AM
SunCruise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I switched to a mustang 2 piece and removed the strap. Never gave it a second thought. My girl misses it and now puts her fingers through my belt loops. It appears the strap won't fit over the taller mustang. Mustang also notes...HD grab rail won't work with this seat. I don't like the look of grab rails anyway but I suppose I will have to customize something for her.
SC

Old 01-19-2012, 02:27 PM
tooloudman
Intermediate

The straps are PITA, the passenger pad on my HD Signature series set up came with a strap that you secure with the mushroom bolts that fix the driver seat. Then you slide the QD passanger pad tongues onto the mushrooms and fit the fender bolt. thing is if you want remove the pillion pad quickly you have to unbolt the strap as well!

Purely asthetic useless pieces of (vinyl) junk.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:37 PM
TheSinistral
Tourer

Seems like I read or heard somewhere that strap is some BS safety equipment to make the bikes 50-state legal. But, hell, what other bikes have them.... ? (Doubting my own words now....)

All I know is that my (admittedly terrified) ol' lady wanted NOTHING to do with that shitty strap. Holds onto me for dear life. (Hey, we're working on it!)

Old 01-19-2012, 02:38 PM
DrQ
Road Master

Box cutter.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSinistral
All I know is that my (admittedly terrified) ol' lady wanted NOTHING to do with that shitty strap. Holds onto me for dear life. (Hey, we're working on it!)
Two words: Passenger Backrest, LOL (ok, 3 with LOL, LOL)

Old 01-19-2012, 05:50 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My girlfriend would barely ride around the block on the back of my bike before I installed the passenger backrest. She still doesn't like riding for more than an hour or so, but it beats 30 seconds!

Old 01-19-2012, 06:40 PM
GatorEd83
4th Gear

I agree. Nobody has held on to that strap in the history of motorcycles.. I made the switch to the Mustang solo seat and love it. Good move.

Quick Reply: Removing Seat Strap from '09 FLHRC