Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painted inner fairing and Cap

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Question painted inner fairing and Cap

I see some have done their own, others went thru MOCO..... I am thinking of pulling the plug and leaning towards MOCO.. Reason being,, cost... Out door price from dealer,,, $670...
Am I on target or not.. looking at Blue Pearl.. paint from PPG is not cheap...

Old 01-18-2012, 06:37 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Bushy,

Began negotiation on a Big Blue Pearl Limited recently and am thinking about the same thing. If you do the deal I would love to see pic's!!

Good luck with the decision

Dave

Old 01-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior

sounds good.. The Limited Blue Pearl was a done deal based on the color

Old 01-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I had both our UC stock inner and caps done by a local collision center for little over $500 and replaced em my self within a week.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

My painted inner on my CVO FLHXSE was less to have custom painted than buying a new ne from MOCO, by about $130.

I was lucky enough though to not have to ship back and forth to the painter. Had that been the case, it would have been almost the same.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:21 AM
JC Turbo
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your sig says blue pearl and it looks like Flame blue pearl but that color was only on 2010 FLHTK's. What color is your bike exactly? I had mine painted and I have about $350 total in it. Best money ever spent on a modification!

Old 01-19-2012, 03:57 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Check with some of the online dealers offering 20% off and do the labor yourself...save some cash...that's what I'm leaning on mine. Big Blue Pearl, 2012 color...

Old 01-19-2012, 06:40 AM
BDHABT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JC Turbo
Your sig says blue pearl and it looks like Flame blue pearl but that color was only on 2010 FLHTK's. What color is your bike exactly? I had mine painted and I have about $350 total in it. Best money ever spent on a modification!

They had Flame blue pearl in `09 also.Did you use HD paint,or have it mixed?

Sorry for the hijack.

Back to topic;check Lakeshore HD for a fairing already painted;they have good deals,and use them often.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Bushy, if you shop around for local painters who can do the job and get some quotes, you can compare the cost to buying from HD, especially the 20% off dealers. If you buy from HD, you can sell the take-offs to further reduce the cost.

PPG paint isn't cheap; the "savings" is typically in the fact that HD only sells the sprayable paint in quart quantities which is way more than needed for an inner fairing; a PPG shop can mix much less paint and the paint cost is significantly reduced as a result.

This may be nitpicking, but HD doesn't include the small black plastic bezel around the turn signal/idiot light display, so most end up using the chrome cover. Personally, I prefer the bezel to be color-matched to the inner fairing and fairing cap.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 01-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior

Thanks CarL, yes I have found the paint is high end, in regards to those that ask.. 2012 offered a Big Blue Pearl on the limited... its a shade off off the 2010 blue offered, had them side by side, subtle but yes different.. After all is said and done I am selling a kidney and Blood and doing the HD install, 20% off parts and labor.. and exactly matching my paint...

Quick Reply: painted inner fairing and Cap