Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of Cash When Buying...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:01 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by NYdyna
Shoe box lol, that is what I had the cash in when I bought my first car, an 87 mustang lx! To clarify, I don't just drive around with 16k in cash! I talk to the buyers first, give them my offer and explain it's a cash offer which means, that is what I'm coming with, that is what you are going to get paid with. I don't intend on driving hours away from my place to look at a bike and waste their and my time. When I sold my lowrider the buyer came with cash and left with a title, that's all I'm asking for. The bank check guy's eyes opened real wide when I showed him the cash, he too drove a car with sirens attached to the roof, he thought I was trying to pass off counterfeit bills...whoah officer you think I would come to your house and disrespect you like that?? Anyway he backed out probably because he couldn't stand to see his bike get driven away. Got to be patient is correct, just tired of the whole back and forth...guys think they have the last street glide on earth sometimes.

Now is a good time of year to buy from a dealer. Those salesman are starving right now. They'll be even more eager to deal at the end of the month. I bought my cherry FLHTCUI on Jan 27, 2011 and I love it. Good luck!

search here:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/used_...bmLocale=en_US

Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Cash Is King?

When talking to a dealer, playing the "cash deal" would only be effective if you were to be talking to the owner or someone with a vested interest in the business. When I bought my last 2 new bikes, the deal was payment in full before delivery. They weren't even interested in taking a personal check and having it clear before delivery. Bank check or cash on delivery.

On the other hand, a no nonsense out the door, delivered, paid in full attitude swung me a couple of really sweet deals.

A few years ago, I sold our family boat privately. The buyer said they must have chased down a gazillion MAC machines to come up with the cash. If paying cash can lower an aquisition price, I'm in!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:41 AM
METALKAT
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care what you pay with as long as my bank will deposit it into my account and it clears. I'm never in a rush to sell so cash doesn't impress me these days, I guess all the technology took the fun out off it.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FUBAR55
If I'm buying, I figure the price I'm willing to pay.
Say the asking price is $8500 and I'll only pay $8000, I will bring 80 100 dollar bills and say, this is what I have.
Usually I get the item but if I don't, I either rethink it or move on. There's lots of stuff to buy out there.
That's how Gramps taught me to negotiate! They made a million more!

Old 01-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look...buying a bike's just like buying a horse. Meet the seller, shoot a little ****, to break the ice. Inspect the ride, get specific on questions, take her for a spin....and if you like it, negotiate the price. Pull em down as low as you feel like taking him. If you strike a deal, reach down in your jeans and pay.......I'd only flash the green as a last resort as I walked away if the seller declines my lowest FAIR offer.......those hundred dollar bills wavin' under his nose, just might change his mind.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't understand how "hundred dollar bills wavin' under his nose" motivates a seller. Saying "I'll take it" is what motivates me. Cash is the understood method of payment when I sell a bike. The only other way is to do the transaction at a bank where I still leave with cash. The title doesn't change hands until I have cash in my hand.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,333 Likes on 843 Posts

When I bought my UC in '09 I took cash to the dealership. I showed them the cash, negotiated the deal, etc. Oddly, when it came time to pay, they asked if I would be willing to buy through HD credit on 6 mos same as cash if they knocked another $100 off the price. Their only request was that I wait at least 3 mos to pay it off. I went along, didn't matter to me. I guess they get a pretty good kickback on that deal.