Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value of Cash When Buying...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coz300
I bought my bike for 8900 the sellers aking price. I brought 8500 cash. The seller wouldn`t budge on the price. So I told him i`d give him a check for the 400 balance. He wouldn`t take my check. To boot, the seller lets just say drove a vehicle with lights and a siren. People are weird. I ended up giving him a 1000 deposit and getting it on Monday seeing I intended to buy it on saturday. Didn`t mind but I had drove over 80 miles to buy it. Point is if a guy is going to hand me 8500 cash I figure he`s good for the 400
I would have taken your 8500 deposit. And given you the bike when you brought the balance.

If it was bad money I would have the info I got off your license for the bill of sale to have the secret service hunt you down.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:33 PM
mymarket
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't make sense to me that cash is a problem.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Denver Dave
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NYdyna
Doe this not mean anything to potential sellers anymore? I have been in the market for an 09 or better Street Glide and have been pounding the pavement sort of speak with private sellers. They state their price, we do the haggling dance on the price and when they agree and I take out the cash to prove I'm not kidding around, they get nervous and start to back out...as a matter of fact that has happened twice to me, most recently I offered to pay bank check and still the seller refused, i think in his case it was seller's remorse.
That's just weird. 2 people have backed out AFTER you agreed on price and pulled out the cash? I don't get it.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 PM
howitzer88
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NYdyna
Doe this not mean anything to potential sellers anymore? I have been in the market for an 09 or better Street Glide and have been pounding the pavement sort of speak with private sellers. They state their price, we do the haggling dance on the price and when they agree and I take out the cash to prove I'm not kidding around, they get nervous and start to back out...as a matter of fact that has happened twice to me, most recently I offered to pay bank check and still the seller refused, i think in his case it was seller's remorse. Point is, I was brought up old school...cash is king but I guess not anymore! Geez you'd think these guys would like to hide some $ from the wifey for future purchases.

Really just venting here because I just had a beauty of an 09 lost because seller changed his mind...had the garage all cleaned up, made for the new family member and now just big empty space. Oh well at least the bike show is in town this weekend, I'll enjoy that!
I think the prospective seller could not deal with the emotion of selling his machine. I remember when I had to sell my '01 FLHT to pay for my divorce lawyer and the buyer was counting all of those hundreds on the table. I got a little freaked. Fast forward a couple of years and I'm headed out to Long Island to look at a bike that the seller did tell me on the phone that he had someone interested and he was coming back. I ignored that and went anyway with a stack of crisp $100's. I got there and the other interested party had not come back or had left any deposit. I convinced the seller that the other guy may never come back and I showed him the stack. He sold the bike to me that weekend. When I came back in a few days to pick up the bike, the other guy never did come back. Its the bike in my sig.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:58 PM
NYdyna
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Denver Dave I don't get it either, hence my question to the forum. I really think it's the following, they agree to a price...a price that is more favorable to me as a seller, once they see the cash they get nervous and think, uh oh am I selling this bike on the cheap? Then as 1 guy told me he will try it again in the spring, which means riding season begins so he thinks he can jack the price up or get what he really wants. To be honest when I sold my lowrider and saw it drive away, I did think that I sold it at an ok price but I did need the money to add to the SG fund

Old 01-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought a bike over the phone in Miami. That is a 13 hour drive from here. I called the owner. I told him if the bike, in person, looks like the photos and it runs OK, I will pay his price. I went to my bank, had a cashiers check drawn up for the amount payable to him. Then I scanned it and emailed it to him. His banker called my banker. His banker was satisfied. I then drove to Miami. Bike was immaculate. Bought it with the check. He endorsed the title over to me before I left his home. Drove home with it. It was all good. But you have to cover all of the bases. Too many phucking crooks out there to trust anyone anymore...sad but true.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:14 PM

I agree with lowcountry joe, This is how I do deals... cash money deals take place at my bank, after the deposit takes place title is signed over and vehicle is yours. I prefer a cashiers check from a local bank. But none of that covers "seller's remorse". I've had seller's remorse but being of strong morale virtue I have NEVER backed out of a sale once a price was agreed upon and buyer at hand

Old 01-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 631 Likes on 162 Posts

This always kills me. Just recently, selling one of my snowmobiles. 1 year old, 116 miles, tons of extras at a super price. I get 2 morons who call and low ball me. I refuse. Next words out of thier mouths was... "I'm offering CASH". My reply was... "did you think I would take marbles in trade"? I mean WTF? Of course your paying cash. I mean I'll take a check, but the goods don't move one inch until it clears...no matter how long it takes.

Regarding "sellers remorse". Early this summer I sold one of my boats. I ran an ad. Price was firm and would have netted me 2K more than I paid. Long story short ONE PERSISTANT GUY loved my boat. I could not bare to sell it. I raised the price 3 times adding on another 4K. Finally I talked myself into taking the 6K and run with it. Broke my heart to sell it, and 7 months later I still wish I had not done it.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:11 PM
rbferg
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts exactly!
Originally Posted by Rickr01
I'll take cash in a shoe box! or any other way...

Old 01-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Northwoodz
I get 2 morons who call and low ball me. I refuse. Next words out of thier mouths was... "I'm offering CASH". My reply was... "did you think I would take marbles in trade"?
lol. exactly. Some guys seem to think you're going get all weak in the knees just because he's flashing a stack of hundreds. I'd rather have a bank check anyway, but in any event, the bike doesn't leave my possession until the funds are deposited into my bank account.

Quick Reply: Value of Cash When Buying...