Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Information for 07 Riders with Heat Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006 | 08:33 PM
BOSSMAN
Advanced
Default RE: Good Information for 07 Riders with Heat Issues

Dang, there seems to about as many opinion out there as posts.....Now some will say the stage 1 will fix the heat issue, (07 Ultra) others say it will have no effect on the heat issue. I'm looking at a SE air cleaner kit, SE pipes and a download, but now I dont know if that will help the heat issues.

I have a set of HD pipes and could go with a PCIII and an intake but I'm leary about the warranty being voided. I love my bike but at times I miss the watercooled motor ofmy rice burner

Old 12-28-2006 | 08:59 PM
cdale976
Road Master

this is not an opinion but fact. I have 07 rkc with 8300mi. bought in august. Bike has issues.. hd and dealer know it. dealers hands are tied. I believe hd is concerned but not willing to admit fault.
So as an hd rider and diehard i will ride the bike like it or nor.5 yr warranty will pay if hd is to blindsided by bucks to take care of their faithful. then i will make public in a big way what hd failed to do. If the bike runs and runs. and it turns out that there is nothing wrong i will do the same.In my opinion either way it is in defense of hd. one way they hopefully will learn the other they can say they were right . Either way the dealer is not at fault but HD needs to step up to the plate.
you shouldn't need to do a damn thing to a stock bike to have it run right.

ride hard and long

Old 12-28-2006 | 09:05 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior

I have learned more from this forum in 4 months about Harleys than the previous 10 years I have been riding. This forum is great. And oh yea, '07 SG with 2100 miles and runs perfect. I am the pig in slop the guy was talking about!

Ride safe and happy new year!

Old 12-28-2006 | 09:41 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BOSSMAN

Dang, there seems to about as many opinion out there as posts.....Now some will say the stage 1 will fix the heat issue, (07 Ultra) others say it will have no effect on the heat issue. I'm looking at a SE air cleaner kit, SE pipes and a download, but now I dont know if that will help the heat issues.

I have a set of HD pipes and could go with a PCIII and an intake but I'm leary about the warranty being voided. I love my bike but at times I miss the watercooled motor ofmy rice burner
Yeah it can get confusing especially withsome of the issues with the 07s.
However one thing is pretty clear, if you upgrade your exhaust AND air filter,
it is wise to invest in a tuning "module". Dealer downloads will still leave your
motor running lean.
My humble advice is to do the "Service Bulletin" download if you haven't done it.
If your bike was builtafterOctoberitprobably doesn't need it.Then order a PC111 from Fuelmoto that will come with a map that will get you real close.
Easily installed by you. If youthen think it could run better, have in dynoed.
If you decide on a SERT,which is a good choice, I'm not sure if the "SB"
download is necessarry.

Old 12-28-2006 | 09:42 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

chiming in...all good w/07stock! jamie at fuelmoto has convinced me how much greater it will run w/pcIII stock map.

Old 12-29-2006 | 01:44 AM
BOSSMAN
Advanced

I took delivery July 21 on my 07 Ultra, so I suppose it needs the download-although I have never had a surging problem. Is there really a point to the recall download? If I go with a PCIII wont that over ride it anyhow? Other than the heat deal I have been very pleased with my HD (my first) my starter took a dump with about 3M miles but my local dealer took care of it right quick.

Old 12-29-2006 | 02:20 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

Ive got the problems,, just waiting for a fix,,,,
and once again, I welcome ANYone who wants to ride my bike , anytime,anywhere!

Old 12-29-2006 | 08:17 AM
drocken
Cruiser

When it come's to the heat problem,Harley is not going to have a fix. I work for a trucking company that buys so many new trucks every year, this year there cutting back on how many there buying because of the new EPA rules, There buying more left over 06's because they want to see what kind of problems this is going to be... Harley is in the same boat as every other bike maker and auto maker out there.... EPA

Old 12-29-2006 | 09:03 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member

Hmmmm... I found that site to be very interesting and informative! Many of the problems sounded very familiar (running hot, 5th gear "sounds", lack of dealer knowledge/support). I guess that's why many of us are going with Stage 1 setups with the PCIII, FuelPak, etc. Yeah, it's a shame to have to spend the additional money to resolve the tuning issues, but the payoff of additional power and torque would have convinced us to buy new pipes and intake anyway. Spending $1000 for the Stage 1 upgrade, regardless of which equipment you choose, is something many of us are willing to do anyway. All this in no way diminishes the enjoyment I get from my bike, but just adds to the "personalization" process and gives us something to talk about!

Old 08-26-2007 | 04:31 PM
mgmquincy
Stage I

I own an 07 Street Glide that standed me in South Dakota returning from Sturgis (before all the sooper riders start the attack) let me say that I have been riding for 39 years and have been Harley devoted for the last decade. I called my dealer who tried to help and finally after walking about a mile came to a repair shop (car and tractor) who cleaned my gas fouled plugs enough that I could start my bike and ride another twelve miles to a NAPA store and buy the closest replacment possible to hopefully get me the 500 miles home. Had to leave the bike running at every stop or replace the plugs (gas fouled) to get it to start. Two days and eight spark plugs later, I got home and dropped the bike at my dealer who checked it over and told me that I had the wrong plugs and bad gas. When I reminded him of the instructions he gave to replace the plugs as best I could he decided to check another day and told me that the temp sensor was suspected of being bad and replaced (still waiting for my refund on $25 worth of plugs, by the way, I carry an extra set now in case I need them to get home). Anyway, dealer told me that he was unaware of any heat issues or surging or gas fouling on new Harley's. After an evening on the internet I called him and explained what the issues were. Coincidentally, he had checked around and "discovered" some new info since our last conversation.
I have ridden and modified and even built custom bikes from the ground up. I intend to spend exactly the same amount modifying my new Harley as I am going to spend on my new pickup and my wife's new car. Nothing. I like the waythey look, ride and sound....box stock. My boy builder's days are over and I intend just riding...not walking by the side of the highway in South Dakota. The sooper riders can compare notes and easy fixes that the rest of us are too stoopid to comprehend and continue to attack us for actually noticing the emperor's new clothes. But I am old enough to remember when Harley was desperately trying to find new customers and I may live to see that scenario again. I'll wait til enough lawyers have purchased hot, jerking, bucking, dying and not starting Harleys and then we may see their first class action lawsuit and full scale recall.
In the meantime I purchased the four year warranty to protect myself from the major overhauls that a few of my friends have had to finance due to Harley refusing to warranty their smoked engines because they had tried to "fix" this problem themselves. Please don't bore me with narrowband and wideband, closed loop, parade mode, epa nonsense. I haven't changed the pipes, air cleaner or mapping on my other vehicles and if you think that it makes sense to have to do that then run for office. I hope that you win, we need people in government who "know everything".

Quick Reply: Good Information for 07 Riders with Heat Issues