Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

may be moving away from the brand

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012 | 04:39 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Hoblick
like i stated before if it was in the cards i would probably consider that.

I am starting a business up, and that 3 -5k id use for a used sportbike needs to be spent elsewhere.

im sure ill be happy with the multi, at this point its a decision of the S model or not lol.

if heard pros and cons of both...

a con for the S (electronic ohlins suspension) is if there is a suspension issue it will cost major bucks to fix. didnt really consider that.

and anyone who owns a standard model is more than happy with there suspension.
obviously it will be leaps and bounds above the harley suspension, so ill probably be overly happy with it coming off the SG.

if i find a good enough deal i may still do a S model though

Not to be a dick...but if you don't have $3-5k for the used sportbike, how do you have if for the S model?

IMO, all this sounds like an impulsive decision. I don't know you though, so I could be quite wrong. Different tools do different jobs, and these two bikes you dealing with are no exception!

Old 01-19-2012 | 04:51 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
Ride what ever you like, I just hope you don't kill yourself or your wife getting that adrenaline rush.
Haven't read every post, but this one sums it up for me, have fun but be safe. Nice having you on the forum, pop in and say hello every now and then.

Old 01-19-2012 | 04:58 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

Originally Posted by JCleary
I rode on Mines Road from Patterson to Livermore behind a dude on a Multi.

It was the hardest work of my life keeping up with that guy. I was really tossing the bagger around the turns, dragging hard parts, standing on the floor boards at times, all in the quest of not letting him get more than 1 turn ahead of me.

Meanwhile, he was clipping along at a good pace but completely upright, not hanging off the bike, and not being shot off the seat in the rough stuff. It really looked like a fantastic mount to be on. I was impressed. It was the S model.

When we pulled over in Livermore we chopped it up for a while. He said to me "Dude, you can really make that bagger dance!"

I replied "Thank you," and didn't let on how beat and tired I was from that stretch of road. If he would have turned up the wick just a little bit he'd have been gone.

That was the ride that motivated me to buy the Dyna. Looking back I should have bought a Multistrada, RT, or GT (I had two BMW's previously and really liked them).
Mines road is no joke.. I went over Patterson pass road from San Jose to livermore last summer and on a bagger it's a workout. Sure makes it seem easy when I get on the zx10 though..

Old 01-19-2012 | 05:03 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steel Billet
Dont get mad, I'm not trying to be a know it all. Just curious how your planning to trade for the Multi without coming up with 3-5k?
I was trying to figure out if he needs some of the proceeds to start up a business, why buy anything? I'd make darn sure that new business got my full attention for a while and the extra money in the business account could mean the difference between success and failure in the beginning.

Last edited by qtrracer; 01-19-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2012 | 05:09 PM
metalb00
Advanced

id hold out get something used keep both bikes, steer clear of the monster, the ergonomics are horrible my gsxr and r1 were more comfortable. my monster was alot cheaper to modify than the electra glide thats for sure. i dodnt get killed for services either

Old 01-19-2012 | 10:13 PM
francisac
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dan conner
yea, we all need 150 horsepower...to kill ourselves. hope you and your wife don't have any kids-and if you do--lots of life insurance.
wow. and harley is the safest thing out there lol, so i guess nobody ever got killed riding a harley. You can get killed riding a 250 doesnt matter if its 150hp, i hope everone that rides any bike has good insurance because we all take big risk.

Old 01-19-2012 | 11:14 PM
BAGGERONABUDGET
Tourer

That multistrada or whatever is rather ugly.

Old 01-20-2012 | 01:29 AM
Hoblick
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by fish eye
Not to be a dick...but if you don't have $3-5k for the used sportbike, how do you have if for the S model?

IMO, all this sounds like an impulsive decision. I don't know you though, so I could be quite wrong. Different tools do different jobs, and these two bikes you dealing with are no exception!
I have a lian on my harley still. I make payments on it, ill have a payment regardless. I owe less than what the bike is gonna sell for. Whatever i have over what i owe will be put down on the ducati. So i do have some room to play with, i could squeeze off a s model if i wanted probably. Just dint know if thsts the route i wanna go.

As for my business im starting, i have money i have been saving set back for it. Im not gonna drop 4gs on a used sportbike when i could put it in my business account.

My bike payment is already budgeted for so i dont have any worries there

Old 01-20-2012 | 01:32 AM
Hoblick
|
Road Captain

Also its not impulsive, i have been doing alot of research on the multi for a while. Just didnt know if it would be what i was looking for. Went with the other bike i researched, the sg! And it is an amazing bike, but it just doesnt fit my style if riding.

The multi should do everything i need it to and more.

Old 01-20-2012 | 03:23 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

I love the multi. I have wanted one ever since they came out with the 1200. I almost sold my Harley and bought a 1200S Touring last summer but I had already planned a trip to Alaska and just did not trust the Duc with the lack of dealers enroute compared to HD. I made the trip and still want a MS but if I decide to get one I will try to keep my FLHRS because I fell even more in love with it on the 12K mile ride.

For all those suggesting the OP get a cheaper used Yamaha or whatever, you are wasting your time and missing the point. The gentleman knows he wants a Ducati Multistrada 1200. It is like you wanting a new Harley and someone telling you how much you can save by buying a Honda. Think you would do it?

Quick Reply: may be moving away from the brand