Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

may be moving away from the brand

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012 | 09:11 PM
sgnden
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlueKite
Many on here seem to be under the misapprehension the Ducati Multistrada (or Monkeystrada as we call it over here) is a crotch rocket. It isn't.

The MS is Ducati's attempt to muscle in on the phenomenal sales of BMW's GS 1200, (the best selling bike in the UK).
This is an adventure tourer on steroids, and comes with hard luggage, backrest for passengers etc, with a pleasant seating position for all day riding.

Many other manufacturers have joined the club, including Guzzi (Stelvio) KTM (adventure) Honda (crosstourer) Yamaha (Super Tenere) and now Triumph (Explorer).

These are bikes you can ride down to Morocco 2-up and throw in a bit of dirt at the same time. Of course they're too heavy for most off-roaders, but some are more geared towards the dirt (KTM), while others are better on the twisty roads (Ducati).

The OP may end up missing his HD and returning to the fold eventually, but in the meantime he's in for a real treat. The Duke is widely considered to be the best handling bike in its class, with an agility that puts most sports bikes to shame. You can also take it touring. All in all a fantastic all-rounder.

Now personally, i'd be looking at the Triumph Explorer, but then as an Englishman i'm biased. Also, I'm just not sure about the reliability of Dukes but your choice is yours. I would also consider the Triumph 800 Tiger, which is half the price of the Duke and could facilitate hanging on to the SG too?

But it doesn't matter what i think. You will love that Monkeystrada, and i can't deny i'm a little jealous.
Exactly.

However, still amazes me to see 5+ pages of commentary on a post like this. Ride whatever the &^%$ you want...plenty of great scoots out there and the Duc's a blast.

Old 01-18-2012 | 10:00 PM
Steel Billet
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hoblick
my SG was my first harley, will it be my last? im not sure

i had alot of fun modifying it, it was a great long hauler
it turned lots of heads, it also drained my wallet lol

i thought this was gonna be the bike for me and my wife to travel on, and it would be a keeper. Im not sure thats the case though.

i came from sport bikes, and love riding at the track.
im a sucker for tight corners and curvy roads..
i threw the SG around as much as i could, dragging parts and wearing my self out.

im tired of trying to throw around a 900lb bike and not feeling that adrenaline like i used to on a sport touring bike.

so i may be making the move away from Harley.
i have my eyes set on a new Ducati Multistrada 1200 Touring, 462lb and 150hp

ill probably still pop in on the forum, i enjoy reading everyones comments, and also like to help the community with any info i have.
Has your wife ridden on the back of the multi?
I've had BMW's, Ducati, Honda VTX 1800 to name a few and my Harley Street Glide is by far the #1 two up motorcycle I have ever owned. My wife has ridden more miles with me on my SG than any motorcycle. She says this bike is the most comfortable and secure bike for a passanger.

As far as getting a lighter more nimble bike for the mountain rodes I fully understand so you dont have to explain to me what you miss. I have a Ducati 848 and Ill be 53 years old this spring and the last time I check I havent killed myself (knock on wood) and I know my wife won't get killed on it because she wont get on it.

You should look around for a used Monster I bet you could find a good deal on one and keep the SG for 2 up riding, travel, bike night or out to eat.
Just a suggestion so you dont have to move away from Harley. I'm thinking you might lose just as much money trading off your Harley and what about all your Harley jackets,shirts...and more...

Attached Thumbnails may be moving away from the brand-img_3241-copy-.jpg  
Old 01-18-2012 | 10:42 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hoblick
my SG was my first harley, will it be my last? im not sure

i had alot of fun modifying it, it was a great long hauler
it turned lots of heads, it also drained my wallet lol

i thought this was gonna be the bike for me and my wife to travel on, and it would be a keeper. Im not sure thats the case though.

i came from sport bikes, and love riding at the track.
im a sucker for tight corners and curvy roads..
i threw the SG around as much as i could, dragging parts and wearing my self out.

im tired of trying to throw around a 900lb bike and not feeling that adrenaline like i used to on a sport touring bike.

so i may be making the move away from Harley.
i have my eyes set on a new Ducati Multistrada 1200 Touring, 462lb and 150hp

ill probably still pop in on the forum, i enjoy reading everyones comments, and also like to help the community with any info i have.
I've got the same problem... so after wearing out my floor boards and mounts on my bagger I bought a Dyna thinking that would satisfy my itch. It didn't.

As soon as my Dyna is paid for I'm getting a K1600 GT or R1200RT. The Multistrada appeals to me but my woman and I are a bit much for that little bike...

Old 01-18-2012 | 10:48 PM
grzly
Road Master

Originally Posted by JCleary
I've got the same problem... so after wearing out my floor boards and mounts on my bagger I bought a Dyna thinking that would satisfy my itch. It didn't.

As soon as my Dyna is paid for I'm getting a K1600 GT or R1200RT. The Multistrada appeals to me but my woman and I are a bit much for that little bike...
having ridden a K1600 i walked away unimpressed ..... but then again im not a goldwing fan either .... the RT however ... that could be nice

Old 01-18-2012 | 11:04 PM
RainmanCS
Intermediate

What ever you do, Ride it like you stole it.

Old 01-18-2012 | 11:12 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

I just like Harleys. I always have. I don't care if others are different or better.

If there were no such thing, I'd look at a Valkerie (all motor - I do like that)
I still think Honda is a good product.
Or a BMW. I know nothing about BMW's but the one most similar to what the CHP uses. And I hate to admit it, but I do like the Kawasaki Vaquero?
I think it's sharp . . . for a jap bike. If Harley was smart, the VRod touring model would look similar.

Enjoy what ever you do!!!

Old 01-18-2012 | 11:43 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grzly
having ridden a K1600 i walked away unimpressed ..... but then again im not a goldwing fan either .... the RT however ... that could be nice
I was the same way. Cramped riding position, tepid bottom end torque. The K1300GT is much better. Used to have an R1100RT, that was a great tourer. Looking forward to seeing what the upcoming liquid-cooled 1250 boxer motor is like.

Old 01-18-2012 | 11:59 PM
Motor City Street Glide
Cruiser

I cant believe how big an *** hole some of the posters with negitive comments are.

This person has been a positive contributing member to this forum. Many of the people on this forum gushed over the OP's bike, for how well the customization work was done.

Made a fuss over his awesome garage, and commented on the sound advice the he gave.

Now because he wants to ride another brand/type of motorcycle, all of this negativity from a few of you very closed minded people.

The OP never implied that he would be on the race track or riding dangerously, with his misses on the pillion. Why would you A holes suggest that he/they may crash or be injured.

It should not matter what you ride, just the fact that you have a passion for motorcycling, and being a safe responsible rider.

If you have nothing nice to say, why not just say nothing.

I never have understood the A holes on Harleys that refuse to wave to other motorcyclist.

I make a point to acknowledged every rider that I am able to, while still riding safely.

To the original poster... good luck with what ever choice that you make, and I wish you and your misses many happy, safe miles.

For you tools that are gonna flame me... I own a 1997 Ducati Monster M750, a 2000 Honda Cr125, and will be taking delivery of my 2012 Black denim Street glide with ABS/cruse in Feb when it arrives from the factory.

Purchased mine from Motown Harley Davidson in Taylor MI , and I will still wave/ acknowledge all non cagers.

Old 01-19-2012 | 12:23 AM
iamfree
Cruiser

the multi is a great bike. and once upon a time that would have been the road i'd have taken. but with kids and old sports injuries stretching out on the RG with the 103 motor is bliss for me. enjoy and be safe!

Old 01-19-2012 | 12:29 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Got two Harleys, 1 Kawi go fast, waiting for the Kawi Verseys 1000 to make it to the US, the zx 14 is also on my list. Might ad a Triumph Dual Sport (Tiger ) to finish out my ife. Will stay away from my true love, MX bikes as I get too crazy for my brittle bones, I just can help it, all reason and restraint goes out the window as soon as I get on a bike with dirt tires. I am smart enough,,,, well only through bad experiences with broken legs and fingers to know I just cant be trusted on a dirt bike. Enjoy the Duc but map dealers before you start touring.

Quick Reply: may be moving away from the brand