Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

may be moving away from the brand

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012 | 08:17 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master

OK, here's what I see reading between the lines.......the OP ain't sure of his "decision". Why would he post this on a hard core Harley forum knowing he was going to get a ration of negative feedback for his trouble? It's a cry for help.

He surely cannot believe, all things considered, that he or his lady would truely rather tour on that Italian cop magnet, then roll in style on his street glide. It's preposterous on the surface. Here's his confusion......he's trying to talk himself into believing his adrenaline needs more rush. The need for speed is a single point clouding his judgement. Tunnel vision is what he's got. Like staring at a tiny spot of dirt on a beautifully painted gigantic white wall, so hard he's got himself talked into the lie, that the wall itself must be torn down and re-erected to solve the imperfection.

Poppy ****!!! The grass ain't always greener. You trade bikes and you'll end up being real sorry. Keep that Harley for you and Mama..then save your money and buy yourself a used crotch rocket to blast around on to satisfy the little boy inside you whose making a idiot of himself right now.

That's my advise for the day...think on it, get a good nights sleep, you'll feel better in the morning.

Old 01-18-2012 | 08:18 PM
Hoblick
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pargenz
That's a nice looking bike. Didn't see pricing on the Duc website.
Enjoy it.

Don't know why some people have to throw in smartass comments about life insurance and such.
Agreed..

Touring s model is 19k
Standard touring model i found a deal for sub 15k..

Old 01-18-2012 | 08:23 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hoblick
Agreed..

Touring s model is 19k
Standard touring model i found a deal for sub 15k..
Have you checked for used Multis? Ducs lose their value fast so you might find a great deal on an S...

Old 01-18-2012 | 08:29 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

Most people I know who went from sport to cruiser didn't go back. The few who did go back ended up back on the brand within a year. Just make some slider plates for all the parts that drag and put some muscle on your *** to be able to hold the 900lbs.

Old 01-18-2012 | 08:30 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BlueKite
Now personally, i'd be looking at the Triumph Explorer, but then as an Englishman i'm biased. Also, I'm just not sure about the reliability of Dukes but your choice is yours. I would also consider the Triumph 800 Tiger, which is half the price of the Duke and could facilitate hanging on to the SG too?
I'm a Yank but I'd also be test-riding the Explorer before making a decision. 137hp, shaft drive, 950 watt alternator, cruise control, heated seat. Sounds spot-on for twisty strafing and long-distance touring.

I rode an Triumph Tiger 800XC the other day. Nice handling and a fun motor.

Old 01-18-2012 | 08:32 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member

I got to test ride the multistrada last year. I was not crazy about the looks but it is without a doubt the best riding bike I have ever driven in so many different ways from performance to comfort.

Old 01-18-2012 | 08:32 PM
mikebaby
Road Master

You could get yourself a used Yamaha R1 for only a few thousand dollars. That should have plenty enough ***** for you and be nimble enough to flick around the track.

mikebaby

Old 01-18-2012 | 08:33 PM
BlueKite
Cruiser
Smile

Oh, and +1 on the smartass comments about death and life insurance. We all know biking can be dangerous WHATEVER YOU RIDE.

A poster wrote on here last week that everyone - yes everyone - who rides a motorcycle long term is going to end up either dead or with serious injuries.

Some folks are determined to expect the very worst case scenario for themselves and others. Meanwhile many of us know people who've ridden all their lives with very little hassle.

Ride safe and enjoy your life.

Old 01-18-2012 | 08:49 PM
gringo1450
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikebaby
You could get yourself a used Yamaha R1 for only a few thousand dollars. That should have plenty enough ***** for you and be nimble enough to flick around the track.

mikebaby
The FZ1 has the R1 motor and a more relaxed riding position and you can pick one up a sweet one for 5K. I had one for a year and sold the good the parts and sold the stock bike and made $500

Check out the FZ1 forums

Your gonna lose that much and more when you come back

Old 01-18-2012 | 08:50 PM
grzly
Road Master

now clocked over 30,000k on the Multi 1200 since Sept 2010. its a truly ground breaking bike . Yes , there are a few ****les , but you get that with every bike.

for those that see it as a crotch rocket you couldnt be further from the truth. what i will say is that it has 4 engine maps coupled with the electronic suspension and traction control . I usually ride in "urban" mode for a quiet 100hp , throttle very soft , suspension softened, traction control ramped up . basically no matter how hard i try in this mode i cannot get the front wheel off the ground because of the TC cutting in. Then your have "touring" mode. it slightly lowers and stiffens the suspension , traction control eased up a little bit , and you have 150hp but the throttle is again what i call "soft. ther other 2 mapas are for Enduro and Sport , but i wont go into details as you probably get the idea. add , abs , heated grips , blah blah blah , and you have a fabulous touring machine equally capable in heavy urban traffic. you also can dial in suspension by the push of a button to solo, 2-up or 2-up with baggage as it suits.

servicing for oil and filters is every 7500 miles , major service every 15000 miles. I wouldnt have bought it if it was like the ducati's of yesteryear.

anyway for the OP , i would persnoally recommend that if you do lots of riding solo and 2-up you try and stretch to the touring . Adjustable electronic suspension on the fly when you change maps , or go from solo to 2 - up is unbelievably good.

Quick Reply: may be moving away from the brand