Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close Call Right Turn on Red State

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 AM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Close Call Right Turn on Red State

Last night at around 5:45 and dark I was heading northbound to the local watering hole to meet my wife after work. With no other cars traveling in my direction I was crossing a four lane intersection at 45 mph on a mid term green light. As I entered the intersection I noticed a car heading from eastbound on my right making a rolling right turn on red. I was in my direction left lane and considered she would be OK in her right lane. WRONG. She was going to make a left at the next light into a shopping center 300 plus yards up the road and decided to right on red into the left lane in my direction. I swerved left as close to the median as I could get and her front bumper was about a foot and a half from my leg as I passed her. It was closer to the saddl bag sticking out behind my leg. I hit the gas hard and I think the V&H exhaust scared her enough to react, not sure I was concentrating on the inevitable hit to the saddle bags minimum. WOW no hit. I stopped in the next turn lane and went back and as she was apologizing I interrupted and told her that was closer than my comfort margin. She told me she did not see me and asked me if I had my lights on. I shook my head and walked back and got on the bike and left.
I have the Ultra Silverstar headlight and Xenon passing lights. I do not usually run the passing lights but had them on for this ride. There is absolutely no way she could miss that much light if she had ACTUALLY LOOKED. When HD comes out with the 50 cal on the crash bar Im gettin one.
Just had water at the watering hole.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:29 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Glad to hear your story ended well!!! We just cant be safe enough out there....You must have a special angel over your shoulder!!!
............o~`o.................................. ....

Old 01-18-2012, 11:31 AM
spongetail
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should have punched her in the face then taped her eyes to your headlights and asked if she sees you now.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:33 AM
engr146
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you and you bike are fine!!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Bigdave12768
Tourer

Well here in Mass people taking right on red have the right of way. At least thats the way they drive. On bike you have to be a defensive. Stop and make sure she doesnt do something stupid, like drive into your lane. Glad you are ok and bike. All the motorcycle training courses say look 12-15 seconds ahead. I got my CDL A and thats the way you have to drive a rig.

Last edited by Bigdave12768; 01-18-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Was she HOT?!?!?

I always have all 3 lights on. Good you are OK

Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad the story turned out better than I expected.

Live to ride another day!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 AM
porterjet
Tourer

I agree with Dave. The rule reads something like this. Drivers may turn right on a red light, after stopping. They must yield to oncoming cars with the green light, pedestrians, little puppy dogs and barnyard animals. Over the years it went from stopping to coasting to 4 wheel drifting. Other than the driver making a left turn while not seeing you I think this is fast becoming the second most dangerous "other driver" case out there.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm glad you are okay but why wouldn't you run with all your lights on? (I know you did this time)
That's one reason I bought mine. To be seen better.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you key her car as you walked away?

All three of my lights are on all the time and the head light has the brightest bulb I could find, it is also tilted up so it blinds everyone. I don't like to do that but I would rather **** off everyone on the road than to have one person standing over my body saying I didn't see him.

Quick Reply: Close Call Right Turn on Red State