Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux. stereo plug/mono plug: how do I tell the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 10:33 AM
albngore
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Aux. stereo plug/mono plug: how do I tell the difference?

I have been reading on here about the different issues with different Aux. plugs for the HK radio. I bought a right angle plug for the ZUMO 550 but cannot recall if I bought stereo or mono. I bought it some time ago and no longer have the paperwork. One member here says it has to be the stereo plug or it won't work.

Is there a way to look at the plug to find out which I have? Thanks.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:39 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A stereo plug will have two conductors separated by an insulating partition...while the mono will only have one conductor.

Check this out...

http://support.radioshack.com/SUPPOR...oc68/68379.htm

I hope this helps...

Steve

Old 01-18-2012, 10:56 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In simple terms, 1 black ring is mono, 2 black rings is stereo and, as seen on iPhones, 3 black rings means stereo + video

Old 01-18-2012, 11:02 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
In simple terms, 1 black ring is mono, 2 black rings is stereo and, as seen on iPhones, 3 black rings means stereo + video
Yup...that's the easiest way to tell.

Adam

Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

so somehow its the shape of the plug that is buggering up the HK jack port if you have the "wrong" one? I would think if someone had the "mono" plug they could instantly hear the difference....

Old 01-18-2012, 11:54 AM
albngore
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Thank you. I did locate where I bought the patch cord. The man at the store said I bought the stereo patch cord but that it is mono capable.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:55 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hoethree
so somehow its the shape of the plug that is buggering up the HK jack port if you have the "wrong" one? I would think if someone had the "mono" plug they could instantly hear the difference....
I think you are taking this from the response by MKGUITAR in a previous thread. What he was saying is that dimensionally they vary the plug size slightly to bypass royalty issues associated with the original patent. The slight over sizing then bends the internal tabs.

Don't know the specifics of this but he does know his stuff, and I have certainly noticed that not all plugs are created equal. I have also experienced real quirky behaviours with cig lighter sockets and plugs too. In short, I always err on the side of better quality leads and never force something in.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:00 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by albngore
Thank you. I did locate where I bought the patch cord. The man at the store said I bought the stereo patch cord but that it is mono capable.
Not sure exactly what was meant by the advice given to the OP about a mono plug "not working" - in my experience a mono plug in a stereo socket simply transmits mono. Same as when you put a stereo headphone set in to an iPhone, it still works even though it does not have the third ring for video - obviously!

Incidentally, the rings are in fact an insulation material that separates the various sections of the plug so you can run multiple transmissions up a single plug

Old 01-18-2012, 12:11 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

depending on the dimensions "chosen" by the maker, a "mono" plug may short the ground and right audio in a stereo jack ( plug= male, jack = Jill )

stereo plugs are tip= left/ ring= right/ barrel is ground. ( apple variation may use a 4th ring for video/control/mic in)

a "mono" plug may have it's insulating blocks at non-standard/non compatible intervals

as referenced above and in my post on the other thread, some suppliers alter dimensions slightly, making a "sure thing" into a crap shoot.

if a plug ever feels super tight going in, stop, remove it and return it.

mike