Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Wears Ear Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 08:29 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I've been riding for about 40 years and I didn't start wearing ear plugs until maybe 10 years ago when I noticed my hearing starting to slip. Now I have a mild ringing in my ears, so I use ear plugs all the time, even when I'm cutting the grass. I guess I'm hoping to slow down any more deterioration, but sure wish I had started to wearing ear plugs much sooner.

Mike

Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 AM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to for years, but no longer do... I do always wear a full face helmet, which helps some, but now I have the radio / CB headset / intercom system installed on my Police EG, so I don't wear plugs anymore.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:39 PM
cdesero
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started to after my first year. Now my girlfriend does also.
Gets rid of the wind noise then you can her the stereo much better.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:43 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Sure do. Already have some hearing loss and trying my best to protect what I have left.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:07 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I normally wear custom in ear earbuds with a FF helmet for intercom, music, and phone through an Autocom . They are rated 25db NRR so I don't have to turn up the music very loud and I can talk on the phone clearly at interstate speeds.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:35 PM
asahi1234
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do sense I a partially deaf from birth. I went to my audioligy DR. and had some made for motorcycle riding. They are comfortable and can wear them all day long. I need to take care of my hearing as much as possiable.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:50 AM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rushbass
I used to for years, but no longer do... I do always wear a full face helmet, which helps some, but now I have the radio / CB headset / intercom system installed on my Police EG, so I don't wear plugs anymore.
I find that I hear the radio better at high speeds with plugs in, because there is no wind noise to interfere.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:08 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Use the molded big ear brand.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM
whitelightning
Intermediate

I just read this entire thread and I come away with a few disparate thoughts:
1. I'm amazed at how many Vets don't wear ear protection. I KNOW that wearing them was drummed into you at every opportunity. I spent almost 40 years working for the Navy, both as an enlisted puke working on jets and living with 5" guns, and later as DoD employee working on a whole boatload of noisy stuff. My hearing was monitored every 6 months, and I saw the steady decline in acuity over the years. This is with being very conscious about wearing the darn things.
2. As mentioned throughout his thread, there's no pain and no sudden realization you're losing your hearing. It's gradual, and being guys, we tend to shrug it off as an annoyance.
3. Most of the loss attributable to motorcycles is high frequency, mostly caused by wind. This starts at as little as 30 mph. Half helmet, 3/4, full face... very little difference. Actually, for me, my full face helmets are the worst.
4. For me, although the yellow foamies do a great job, they just became unbearable to wear more than an hour or so. They're constantly trying to expand, and it causes my ear canals to hurt. The best money I ever spent was going to an Audiologist and having custom silicone plugs made. I had some "custom" plugs made at the International Motorcycle show where they're made on the spot by filling your ear with foam, but they don't work as well, and because they're very large, I find they hit the helmet shell and actually transmit more noise than they block.

Too much scotch. Guess I'll stop now, but not before I strongly suggest to wear the darn things!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 PM
DaytonaDan
Advanced

I'm in my 60's I've been riding for over 40 years I to have hearing loss I wear big ear protection it enables me to block out a lot of the road noise and I'm able to hear my music. I took a 10,000 mile trip thirds summer and having my music helped me enjoy the trip. Before the radio I used to sing to my self during long trips. I can't hold a tune and don't remember the words to the song. Get ear protection of some kind

Quick Reply: Who Wears Ear Plugs