Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just installed cruise...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 02:56 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts
Default just installed cruise...

just got out of garage installing cruise control. first part with module went fairly smooth.Ran to store to get 7/16 deep socket .got clip on easy(needlenose).snaked cable under gas tank easy(no help). farele part sucked until I realized I could just loosen throttle cable to make it easier. hope i didnt pinch any wires especially on handlebars,,past experience it can leave you sitten on side of the road with a short. got ignition off easy but getting it back on was tough.I think the hd manuel was unclear or I was reading the international instruction. I think you just have to just read it backwards. wireing under fairing was a little scarry. this plastic clip fell out that holds excess control wires. no way I could get my hands in there so knock on wood just tried to make shure wires had freeplay and were away from back of front light. conectors for switch were well diagramed but had to really go thru electrical part of manuel to realize you cant just shove wires in connector. you had to open little flaps to add switch wires,then thay slid in easy. It was for the mostpart relaxing and I got to bond with the bike. I will inictalize and test tommorrow.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:30 AM
spartns
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: just installed cruise...

You're gonna love it. I'd never have another bike without it.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:38 AM
MiniMe
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure if you loosened the throttle cable that you got the roll off switch back together right. This switch is located on the right side of the neck covered by a rubber boot. Also did you adjust the lash. You will need the service manual for instructions or let me know if you need them.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:42 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So far the CC has been the best upgrafe I have made. I do over 100 miles a day rountrip to work and back. It is a real joy to have.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:31 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 309 Posts

One of the best things to come on my RK Classic

Old 12-12-2006, 11:51 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

strtgld uhhh i better check manuel ,,,roll off switch,,,? i just loosened one of the cables under throttle, covered with rubber,needed two wrenches to loosen. just to get fareles/cable back on throttle(track).

thanks for headsup!

so this morning I go to initialize it to take up slack ..ect. something not right(did not get that green on then off) soooo driving to work cruise did not work.RATS..after work read initilizing directions again and where it tells you to press and hold RESUME ..well i was pressing SET! daaaa
did initializing again... think i got it but the story continues still need to test ride.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:49 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: voodoodrug

just got out of garage installing cruise control. first part with module went fairly smooth.Ran to store to get 7/16 deep socket .got clip on easy(needlenose).snaked cable under gas tank easy(no help). farele part sucked until I realized I could just loosen throttle cable to make it easier. hope i didnt pinch any wires especially on handlebars,,past experience it can leave you sitten on side of the road with a short. got ignition off easy but getting it back on was tough.I think the hd manuel was unclear or I was reading the international instruction. I think you just have to just read it backwards. wireing under fairing was a little scarry. this plastic clip fell out that holds excess control wires. no way I could get my hands in there so knock on wood just tried to make shure wires had freeplay and were away from back of front light. conectors for switch were well diagramed but had to really go thru electrical part of manuel to realize you cant just shove wires in connector. you had to open little flaps to add switch wires,then thay slid in easy. It was for the mostpart relaxing and I got to bond with the bike. I will inictalize and test tommorrow.
Did this job last week and my experiences were similar to yours. I never figured out how to remove the ignition lock, so I removed the side screws to the switch insert, pulled it back, and removed the switch housing with a 1/4" ratchet and long extension without much trouble. Did it the week before on the other side rigging a garage door opener with a pushbutton switch on the far left. Later found out you are supposed to hold the release latch in while turning the key, not the ignition switch. Haven't tried it again.

As for good documentation on the switch-wiring diagram, my instructions showed nothing. Like you I figured it out by first referring to the Cruise Control section of the manual, then the electrical section for fairing switches. The small connectors took much effort to insert, but I didn't open or even see any flaps on the small connectors. I just forced them in with a small screwdriver, and it all works. The instructions also didn't even mention the initialization process, something I stumbled across in the manual while trying to figure out the pin assignments of the 12-point connector.

I was relieved when it initialized and worked in the end, as it wasn't a very smooth process. One ferrule fell out and disappeared, so after a 30-min. search I had to make a quick trip to the HD shop. Then, 15 sec. after returning it fell out of the handlebar switch housing. Interesting, because in the search process I looked there twice and even turned it over and shook it each time. Typical. Murphy was very alert that day and gave me lots of attention.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:27 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

iclick your post helped me alot. thank you. did not fall for the key trick but then had a brain fart putting back together! did lots of homework on wires but puttin the switch wires in the conectors i knew there must be a trick,,so i cracked a fingernail or two and opened up conecters and then you can almost lay wires in conectors.

last step on the lash init. pushed "SET" instead of "RESUME" no wonder it did not work. so did lash holding RESUME and it did that green, green few seconds then whent out(orange)like instruction say. did not notice an increase in rpm? is that ok hummmm

when putting farerels back on I loosened idle cable at handlebars(made easier) not shure if that was smart or should have used throttle cable to get some free play? went back to manuel just now and saw were the rollofswitch is under tank by neck. just for curiousity is the mentioning of rollof switch there for trouble shooting or could i have done something to it by loosing idle cable??? I understand that you cant have too much or not enough freeplay for cruise to work. now waiting to test out another day. like someone said you must go slow and read everything once twice...and ask questions on hdforum

[IMG]local://upfiles/18734/13C51408CF4F4519BCD7139713B0583E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-14-2006, 06:59 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

did not notice an increase in rpm? is that ok hummmm

well test road it today no go!
It never initiated wright?. all the lights and switches worked like directions said. with these exception LAST PART OF INITIALIZING LASH "GREEN" 3 SECONDS" THEN PRESS AND HOLD RESUME "GREEN COMES BACK ON" THEN IT SEEMED LIKE IT TOOK A LONG TIME FOR GREEN TO GO OUT(1-2 MINUTES) AND DID NOT HEAR ANY SLIGHT INCREASE IN RPMS. DID MORE TEST RIDES . LOOKED GOOD BUT NO CRUISE . RAN DIAGNOSTIC GOT CRUISE SWITCH TURNED OFF 113, TACH SIGNAL LOST232, HIGH RATE OF RPM 242.
ON DIFFERENT TEST RUNS. NEVER FELT CRUISE CABLE "PULL" LIKE ON A CAR CRUISE?

any ideas? (an 07 that runs great,,,,can still have a bad day)

Old 12-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Is you tailight on even when the hand lever or foot brake are not engaged? If the tailight remains on, then the switch under the rubber boot protruding from the right switch housing is closed which will shut off the cruise function. That switch is closed when you squeeze the right hand lever and turns the brake light on; and opens when you release the lever. Why there would be a problem with this switch's installation is a mystery since the switch housing comes assembled from the factory with the cruise control unit. I had to fool with this stuff because I used chrome switch housings when cruise control installed two weeks ago.

Quick Reply: just installed cruise...