Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 AM
djack
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
7 Weeks till Spring? And counting......
governors making license plates LOL i like that, are you referring to illinois?

Old 01-19-2012, 10:00 AM
deepsea
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, one more oil question and I'll leave it alone. I called the dealership where I bought my bike to ask what oil was in it so I could add some. He told me regular 20w50. I asked about switching to synthetic and he told me that even though synthetic is better not to switch since the bike has about 30k miles and has always had regular oil because it could cause the seals to start leaking. Anybody ever heard of this?

Old 01-19-2012, 10:07 AM
hogcrib
Advanced

Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum Full Synthetic 20w50
Spectro Heavy Duty Primary 85w
Spectro Heavy Duty Gear Oil GL-5 85w140

Old 01-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I use Redamsmobspecluc-o-nap 20/140 Dinosyn. Change it every 100K mi whether it needs it or not. Word up: the slipperier the oil the better.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deepsea
Ok, one more oil question and I'll leave it alone. I called the dealership where I bought my bike to ask what oil was in it so I could add some. He told me regular 20w50. I asked about switching to synthetic and he told me that even though synthetic is better not to switch since the bike has about 30k miles and has always had regular oil because it could cause the seals to start leaking. Anybody ever heard of this?
Sound like the same crap they tried to pull with the whole "bearing skate" thing. They invented a possible issue that was supposedly caused by using synthetic oil.
Honestly. After the bike is broken is use whatever you feel comfortable with. The bike will not know the difference. Only you will.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 AM
rk62
Cruiser

From my understanding is that the gaskets stay more flexible with synthetic and the synthetic cleans sludge better. Having never used synthetic in the engine, the slight amount of sludge forms at the gasket contact points but the gaskets become more brittle from the lack of fresh oil against them. When you switch to synthetic the sludge is cleansed away exposing a brittle gasket that may leak. So when someone tells you that synthetic will cause an engine to leak, they are partly right if it is an engine with some mileage on it. If synthetic were used from the start, I feel the gaskets would be in better condition in general. If you put 30k miles on in one year, it would probably be ok to switch to synthetic but if the 30k were put on in say 5 years, I would do as the dealer told you.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by deepsea

Do not walk away from that dealer...RUN. And as fast as you can.
Synthetic oil does not cause seals and/or gaskets to leak under any circumstances.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:47 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
I use Redamsmobspecluc-o-nap 20/140 Dinosyn. Change it every 100K mi whether it needs it or not. Word up: the slipperier the oil the better.
Oh man I want some of this!!!!!!!!No doubt its the best!!.............Need a link for purchase! LOL

Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Do not walk away from that dealer...RUN. And as fast as you can.
Synthetic oil does not cause seals and/or gaskets to leak under any circumstances.
Never had a leak until I used SYN, now I got moisture at the case seams and eng/trans joint. Syn does penetrate gaskets and will leak before conventional oil will.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:38 AM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Never had a leak until I used SYN, now I got moisture at the case seams and eng/trans joint. Syn does penetrate gaskets and will leak before conventional oil will.

This is why (quoted from above): From my understanding is that the gaskets stay more flexible with synthetic and the synthetic cleans sludge better. Having never used synthetic in the engine, the slight amount of sludge forms at the gasket contact points but the gaskets become more brittle from the lack of fresh oil against them. When you switch to synthetic the sludge is cleansed away exposing a brittle gasket that may leak. So when someone tells you that synthetic will cause an engine to leak, they are partly right if it is an engine with some mileage on it. If synthetic were used from the start, I feel the gaskets would be in better condition in general. If you put 30k miles on in one year, it would probably be ok to switch to synthetic but if the 30k were put on in say 5 years, I would do as the dealer told you.

Quick Reply: best engine oil