Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Nut08Ultra
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushy
Wesson in the Primary and Crisco in the Crank.... Canola in the Tranny
Darn it... that was the problem... I had it reversed.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nut08Ultra
I use a mix of canola and Crisco... it makes my bike smell like a french fry vendor goin down the road... its great!

Sorry.. couldn't resist.

Serious answer... The ones I've used I really liked were Mobile one, Lucas. I hear amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline, and some others are top of the line and have the price to match. I have also used Castrol Act-Evo with good results.

The rule of thumb you will hear is that unless you try to keep your oil in for extended use for some reason, you can use almost any brand and change it when you should.

I do have to say that I used Syn3 once in a 99 FXD I had, and drained out all out after 3 rides because I thought someone poured quarters into my primary it was so loud. Threw Mobile one and Valvoline gear oil their approriate holes and it was like a totally different bike from the Syn3. Although I heard some people say it was ok, I stay away.
Syn 3 is way over priced for what you get. If it was competitive with rotella I would use it in my primary but after seeing a virgin oil analysis I was amazed to find out that the additive package is weaker than amsoils used oil analysis after being run for 5000 miles. I guess Harley doesn't think you need a strong additive package in an oil that will see 260-300 degree oil temps and will sizzle most 20w-50 oils into sludge in 3000 miles.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:36 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,231 Likes on 1,613 Posts

The oil question; there is no silver bullet.

Attached Thumbnails best engine oil-oh-no-not-this-shit-again.jpg  
Old 01-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by deepsea
I just moved over here from the sportster side. What is the best engine oil for a 07 road king with 96ci engine. I ran mobile 1 synthetic 15w50 in the engine and 75w90 in the primary of my sporty. What do you all use?
Well, Mobile One is not true synthetic oil. But, like many of the opinions you have read, Amsoil 20w-50 is hard to beat in all three holes of your touring bike. Been running that for years on three Harley touring bikes. Forget the rest.

Oil threads are very prevalent and if you use the search function, you will possibly be able to sort through the bull **** and make an intelligent decision.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deepsea
I just moved over here from the sportster side. What is the best engine oil for a 07 road king with 96ci engine. I ran mobile 1 synthetic 15w50 in the engine and 75w90 in the primary of my sporty. What do you all use?
I use either motorcycle oil or diesel oil.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:06 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

motor oil in the motor,save the overpriced v twin stuff for the primary(it doesn't have friction modifiers that can cause clutch slip)and i want those in the motor oil,gearlube in the gearbox.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:13 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Big Twin 20W60HD PowerPack

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=19

REDLINE: Big Twin 20W60HD PowerPack
  • Complete kit specific to motorcycles with Flathead, Knucklehead, Shovelhead, Panhead engines (as well as Big Twins operated in hot climates or with wide clearances)
  • Includes 5 quarts of 20W60 Motorcycle Oil, 1 quart of V-Twin Transmission Oil with ShockProof, 1 quart of Primary Chain Case Oil, 1 bottle of Fuel Injection Cleaner for Motorcycles, a sticker kit, a Red Line Oil embroidered hat, and a versatile funnel
Big Twin 20W60 Powerpack - $94.95 Quantity

ABOUT RED LINE V-TWIN POWER PACKS
  • Based on our work with the motorcycle industry's best tuners, engine builders, and race teams, Red Line offers complete synthetic oil packages for many of the most popular V-Twin motorcycles and Sport Bikes.
  • Each kit has been tested for compatibility and includes enough fluids for a complete oil change (users must check vehicle specs for capacity to ensure against overfilling, as full quarts may provide more product than necessary).
  • For 2007-up H-D® motorcycle with the 96-inch engine, users must purchase one extra bottle of Primary Chain Case Oil, since that bike's capacity is 38 oz (45 oz dry), rather than the 32 oz capacity for an Evo or Big Twin case

Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engineers that designed your bike from the ground up say SYN3. In fact it is standard from the factory in all Screaming Eagle bikes and carries a 2 year unlimited miles warranty. Why try to reinvent the wheel?
And lastly, can anyone remember an engine failure due to using the wrong brand of oil?

Last edited by xcelr8; 01-18-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 PM
Steve Leonard
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use quaker state 10W 30... What is the primary and gearbox everyone is talking about...

K Im new so ill behave Mobile 1 V twin in all three holes.... Thinking of going to the 15W 50 in all but primary.

Why is everyone running such heavy oil in thier trannies

Old 01-18-2012, 08:34 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Leonard
I use quaker state 10W 30... What is the primary and gearbox everyone is talking about...

K Im new so ill behave Mobile 1 V twin in all three holes.... Thinking of going to the 15W 50 in all but primary.

Why is everyone running such heavy oil in thier trannies
read your owners manual

Quick Reply: best engine oil