Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wesson in the Primary and Crisco in the Crank.... Canola in the Tranny

Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

I'm a fan of amsoil and use to run it in all 3 holes but find I get better clutch feel with non syn in the primary, I run formula + there.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:03 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

+++1 on the Red Line!

Old 01-18-2012, 10:33 AM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushy
Wesson in the Primary and Crisco in the Crank.... Canola in the Tranny
After two days of trying to get the Crisco in the crankcase oil hole I switched it to the primary (can put in with spatulla) and running the Wesson in the crankcase. Then my wife told me to melt the Crisco first and pour it in. Im not switching it now. BTW + 10mpg and +22 mph.

Run what you think is best. "Syns are better for the heat".

Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Give the guy a brake

Originally Posted by deepsea
I just moved over here from the sportster side. What is the best engine oil for a 07 road king with 96ci engine. I ran mobile 1 synthetic 15w50 in the engine and 75w90 in the primary of my sporty. What do you all use?
Poor guy, he just asked a question that has been answer on other post a million times. For every option on what kind of oil to use, the are a bunch of opinions all of which are the users choice. You'll have to make your own decision on this subject. Pros and cons on every oil made for V Twins all of which will do a decent job of protecting your bike. You will have to make the right choice based on your OPINION.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

K. Op. Guys are having good luck with amsoil,red line,mobil 1 etc. I personally like red line and use shock proof in the tranny,rotella in the primary and whatever v-twin synth is on sale at the time. Synth handles the heat better and you can run it for 5000 miles. If you are gonna use Dino change it every 3000 miles.
Just pay attention to your bike. As the oil gets worn the top end will get louder,telling you the oil isn't protecting as well as it was. Listen to the bike,learn it's sounds. It will tell you

Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 AM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my 96 twin cam i run:

crankcase Mobile-1 V-Twin 20w50
primary Mobile-1 T4 10w40
tranny Mobile-1 75w140

Old 01-18-2012, 11:02 AM
SugsPa
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 56 Posts

There's some great info in the "Tech" section. Worth the look.

SugsPa

Old 01-18-2012, 11:59 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
I'm a fan of amsoil and use to run it in all 3 holes but find I get better clutch feel with non syn in the primary, I run formula + there.
Interesting statement as I determined a non synth in my primary gave me a better feel with less noise also....just not mentioned much. I've been using Rotella T in the primary, if you've used it in your big rigs you'll know Rotella can take serious punishment. Mobil 1 full syn 20/50 In engine with M1 75-90w in trans.....seems to be a good combo. You can see how all over the place everyone is on oil.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Nut08Ultra
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deepsea
I just moved over here from the sportster side. What is the best engine oil for a 07 road king with 96ci engine. I ran mobile 1 synthetic 15w50 in the engine and 75w90 in the primary of my sporty. What do you all use?
I use a mix of canola and Crisco... it makes my bike smell like a french fry vendor goin down the road... its great!

Sorry.. couldn't resist.

Serious answer... The ones I've used I really liked were Mobile one, Lucas. I hear amsoil, Royal Purple, Redline, and some others are top of the line and have the price to match. I have also used Castrol Act-Evo with good results.

The rule of thumb you will hear is that unless you try to keep your oil in for extended use for some reason, you can use almost any brand and change it when you should.

I do have to say that I used Syn3 once in a 99 FXD I had, and drained out all out after 3 rides because I thought someone poured quarters into my primary it was so loud. Threw Mobile one and Valvoline gear oil their approriate holes and it was like a totally different bike from the Syn3. Although I heard some people say it was ok, I stay away.

Quick Reply: best engine oil