Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmon Kardon Aux jack problems...again!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harmon Kardon Aux jack problems...again!!

Seems like my aux jack is screwed....had the dealer replace one already! I have tried three different cables so that's not the problem...but I barely get any sound now when I plug in my iPod/iphone etc... if you wiggle the cable around a little bit the sound comes on nice and strong.
Anyone else have these issues? It drives me nuts!
Luckily it's still under warranty, but I'd hate to have to keep going through this

Old 01-17-2012, 05:07 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

these jacks are weak.

they are easy to break, yours can probably be fixed by reflowing the solder joints of the pc board

1.) One of the prime causes of breakage are aftermarket plugs which do not conform to standard sizing- they go in "nice and snug" and as they do they bend the contact tangs.

2.) lateral forces on the plug can break the internal solder joints- a right angle plug is less likely to get hit and transfer forces into the radio

------ I'm in the music business. Switchcraft owns the patent for the 1/4" phono plug, many other companies make similar looking plugs which are slightly different in size to avoid paying a license fee. these aftermarket plugs cause many equipment failures. some times the contact tangs can be retensioned with a dental probe.

mike

Old 01-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Tom Ricci
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plug on mine just broke inside the radio. It was in warranty so no problem getting it replaced EXCEPT the dealer put in an exchange radio (which they all do as a routine matter) and I had lots of issues with the CD player in that. Got rid of the bike shortly afterwards, for a high end stereo component that is pretty poor quality control.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:24 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Send the radio to Iron Cross and have them wire you an AUX jack in the rear of the radio. That's what I did and have no more issues.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Send the radio to Iron Cross and have them wire you an AUX jack in the rear of the radio. That's what I did and have no more issues.
Agreed . Fixed my pos 2 years ago. Never had a problem again. Ask for Tony.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:04 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

How do you get to the aux jack on the back of the radio if it is in the fairing?

Old 01-17-2012, 06:13 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_Compact
How do you get to the aux jack on the back of the radio if it is in the fairing?
You have to remove the outer fairing and plug in the adapter your going to use and have the other end exit from a convenient location under the inner fairing. If you disconnect the cable from your device, just feed the excess wire back into the fairing or zip tie it to your bars.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
...have them wire you an AUX jack in the rear of the radio.
there is an online photo tutorial to do this.

not difficult for anyone with electronics experience

mike

Old 01-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys....I spoke with IronCross and they are great to deal with. Tony was really fast getting back to me. However I have a hard time paying money for something that is still covered under warranty by the factory. It's too bad Iron Cross isn't an authorized warranty place. I'll have to weigh my options and see what to do.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:53 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

your lucky your dealer is clueless,in the owners manual, its says the jack is fragile and NOT covered under warrentie.

Quick Reply: Harmon Kardon Aux jack problems...again!!