Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Police Pros? Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012 | 05:05 PM
robfaulkner
Cruiser

Two years ago I bought a 2007 FLHTP with 3k miles. $10500. Absolutely a great bike. No issues of any kind. And I'm looking for another one to leave in Florida. Where are the deals right now? RG, RK, EG - all would be ok.

Old 01-27-2012 | 05:15 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

8 grand for an 02 sounds high to me but if the miles are low and no obvious damage then it might be a good value.
A bro I ride with has an 02 police model. It has a Harley oil cooler,dunno if that came stock,on the crash bar. The air ride seat is pretty comfy. I didn't like the stock bars but I ride a dyna so I just wasn't used to them.
The bike was a Nevada statey bike and had 15000 miles. It rode pretty good and handled well. It was fuel injected too,which surprised me. I was unaware that bikes of that year came with fuel injection,I assume it was an option.
It can't hurt to look at it anyway. Good luck

Old 01-27-2012 | 05:48 PM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by robfaulkner
Two years ago I bought a 2007 FLHTP with 3k miles. $10500. Absolutely a great bike. No issues of any kind. And I'm looking for another one to leave in Florida. Where are the deals right now? RG, RK, EG - all would be ok.
I've never heard of a Road Glide Police model. May be wrong though.

Old 02-10-2012 | 01:55 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Default Police Bike

Originally Posted by Pattrolling
HD is leasing bikes more frequently today to law enforcement, so every two years, they are trading out bikes. See if the bike was a lease. The agency is responsible for damage beyond normal wear and tear, so the lease bikes are usually in better shape. Most cops take good care of their bike.

Police bikes have been on the ground many times in training, so floor boards and engine guards will have some wear. Just go over the bike and look for unusual wear patterns. Police bikes are usually ridden harder than civilian bike, but have better maintenance. Go for lowest mileage.

Call the police department and ask for the motor unit supervisor and ask about the bike or sometimes you will see the officers name or unit number on it, so ask for that person. Most cops are more than willing to talk about their old bike honestly.

If the PD serviced the bike instead of a HD dealer or other MC mechanic, I would stay away from the bike. The PD mechanics may be OK, but I want someone who only works on bikes...not bikes, lawn mowers, and garbage trucks.
This was good advice. Being a professional motor officer, I can offer some more.

What type of department are you buying from, and what type driving did they do? My current ride is an '08 EG with 24,000 miles. Urban miles, stop and go driving, very few of which are highway miles. I can't begin to count to tell you the number of time the rev limiter has cut in when I've been chasing someone, or the parade mode has cut in as the engine has overheated during, well, parades and the like. The oil has been changed every 3000 miles with standard HD 20W-50 dino oil, but during those 3000 miles it has spent countless hours idling at crash scenes to power the emergency lights, radio, etc. I often ride the bike asking every bit of what its capabities are, in every type of weather. By the time the financially strapped city manages to replace the fleet I expect to have well over 30,000 miles on it. It sees the back of a flatbed towtruck on a regular basis now because it is tired. Police bikes a run hard and put away wet, so to speak. Even the most diligent motor officer places demands on his bike that would make him cringe to do to his personal bike.

If you buy a used police bike, especially one with higher miles, expect to do a rebuild. It's safer to think that way.

The following users liked this post:
FlyinHawaiian (08-29-2017)
Old 02-10-2012 | 02:19 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master

One more thing: Pattrolling made another good point. If you can somehow find out which officer had the particular bike you wish to buy, try to talk to him or her. A Motor knows their bike like a parent knows their own child. most will be happy to tell you about its history, what quirks it may have (no two are alike), etc. Although they are "tools" we use in law enforcement, most of us feel quite strongly about them. A drunk driver rear ended mine doing about 30 MPH at an accident scene last week (I wasn't on it, thank God) and I was heartbroken watching it get towed away. Fortunately it can and will be repaired.

If anyone ever called me about my former bike, I know I would love to talk to them about it. But I'd want to see what it looked like when they were done! (:

Old 02-11-2012 | 07:43 AM
DASH MENKIN
Novice

absolutely a great bike. perfect for doing custom stuff. love the speed latch access for the saddlebags. mho is the best bike... the FLHPI. I have a 2002 and will never get anything else. Ive been riding this bike for 10 years now... bought it with 3000 miles on her.

Old 02-11-2012 | 01:58 PM
DBH6601
Cruiser

I paid $6800 for my '02 FLHPI last August. Had never been in service, had high miles but came from original owner with complete records. Very clean and well cared for. Had cam tensioners replaced once, but I found it needed them again, and then found excessive bearing wear on front cam. So it now has S&S gear drive cams and runs like a top, uses no oil.

Old 02-11-2012 | 03:36 PM
2001NightTrain
Cruiser

Bought my 2011 FLHP brand new this time last year. Several dealers sell cop,bikes brand new. Awesome deal in my opinion. As far as used cop bikes...there are a lot of different opinions. Some argue they are abused, while others will argue they are ridden tough but well maintained.