Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Police Pros? Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012 | 09:46 AM
ocezam
Road Master

I love my FLHTP.

The benefit is cost. Simple as that. Compare the asking price of civilian models in your area. No one can tell you if it's a good price if they are from across the country. I bought mine a year ago. I paid about 4K less than a similar civilian bike with a 96". Factor in the 103" and the deal was very sweet. Most of the money I have spent on my bike I would have spent on a civilian model too.

The hard bags are weird, but I'm OK with them. Needs a radio if it's an Electra Glide Model, that's cheap. You'll essentially get a free 103" if it's an '07 thru '11. If you keep the cop bags, you have to get creative when installing a tour pak. Cop bags open differently than civilian bags.

Lots of good info here:

http://www.retiredpolicebikes.com

People that claim abuse have never owned one. Actually they generally get very good maintenance. I have NEVER heard an owner complain about prior maintenance or dependability.

Last edited by ocezam; 01-27-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-18-2012 | 11:32 AM
JayRokk
|
Novice

Originally Posted by ocezam
I love my FLHTP.

The benefit is cost. Simple as that. Compare the asking price of civilian models in your area. No one can tell you if it's a good price if they are from across the country. I bought mine a year ago. I paid about 4K less than a similar civilian bike with a 96". Factor in the 103" and the deal was very sweet. Most of the money I have spent on my bike I would have spent on a civilian model too.

The hard bags are weird, but I'm OK with them. Needs a radio if it's an Electra Glide Model, that's cheap. You'll essentially get a free 103" if it's an '07 thru '11. If you keep the cop bags, you have to get creative when installing a tour pak. Cop bags open differently than civilian bags.

Lots of good info here:

People that claim abuse have never owner one. Actually they generally get very good maintenance. I have NEVER heard an owner complain about prior maintenance or dependability.

thanks for the link. I've made a couple of calls locally trying to figure out when the next sale was. I'd be interested in getting a newer bigger motor bike that I'd have to do some work to for a cheaper initial cost. The biggest task is to figure out when the next sale will be. Locally they all have Road Kings which is what I'm after. Whichever bike I get will be painted, aftermarket wheels etc etc.

Old 01-19-2012 | 12:57 PM
JayRokk
|
Novice

So I think I found the bike that fits me. Black 2002 Road King 33,500 miles $8k

Old 01-19-2012 | 01:25 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Talking

Originally Posted by ocezam
I love my FLHTP. The benefit is cost. Simple as that. Compare the asking price of civilian models in your area. No one can tell you if it's a good price if they are from across the country. I bought mine a year ago. I paid about 4K less than a similar civilian bike with a 96". Factor in the 103" and the deal was very sweet. Most of the money I have spent on my bike I would have spent on a civilian model too.

Lots of good info here:

People that claim abuse have never owner one. Actually they generally get very good maintenance. I have NEVER heard an owner complain about prior maintenance or dependability.
Originally Posted by BackAt5O
I bought my 2007 police Road King with 2 miles on it, so it was not abused. PROS - The headlight nacelles are all painted black instead of chrome, no badging or pin stripes, and an air ride seat are the main visual differences on the police models. On my year you also got the 103 with compression releases and an oil cooler. It will walk away from my riding partners 96 stage 1 no problem. CONS - Having to adapt wiring for some add ons like cruise control. I changed out the seat, handlebars, and exhaust and love the bike!

I will Echo both Ocezam and BackAt5O -

I just bought a 2010 FLHP 2tone Blue/Silver - it is my winter project. I paid a tad over $14 for it before taxes and doc fees, it has 1,494 miles on it, still under warranty for this year. Comparable RKC's were well over $19K. I have put "maybe" $2K in what I call "have-to" mods, and I am dropping another $2K or so in "want-to" mods. Best bang for my buck IMO. Mine was a college police campus bike - she was clean, and runs like the wind. :-)

Old 01-19-2012 | 02:46 PM
69cj
Road Master

I bought my 2007 rk flhp with 37,000 miles on her. She now has 44,000 plus miles and runs great. Paid $7,800 for her.

Old 01-19-2012 | 02:52 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JayRokk
I'm looking to purchase a Road King. I've been searching for about a month now for the "right" bike. I plan to customize in my own fashion (i.e. paint, wheels etc etc). I've ran across several decent mileage Road King police bikes for sale. The latest was a 2004 with 20k miles. Something to me just looks 'different' about the police models. What are the pros/cons of purchasing one. I've searched this forum and found nothing like it in 11 different pages.
I know this isn't what your looking for but this site regularly has police bikes for sale just refine the region.
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auc...iew?auc=666961

Old 01-22-2012 | 10:55 PM
Pattrolling
Advanced

HD is leasing bikes more frequently today to law enforcement, so every two years, they are trading out bikes. See if the bike was a lease. The agency is responsible for damage beyond normal wear and tear, so the lease bikes are usually in better shape. Most cops take good care of their bike.

Police bikes have been on the ground many times in training, so floor boards and engine guards will have some wear. Just go over the bike and look for unusual wear patterns. Police bikes are usually ridden harder than civilian bike, but have better maintenance. Go for lowest mileage.

Call the police department and ask for the motor unit supervisor and ask about the bike or sometimes you will see the officers name or unit number on it, so ask for that person. Most cops are more than willing to talk about their old bike honestly.

If the PD serviced the bike instead of a HD dealer or other MC mechanic, I would stay away from the bike. The PD mechanics may be OK, but I want someone who only works on bikes...not bikes, lawn mowers, and garbage trucks.

Old 01-26-2012 | 09:21 AM
JayRokk
|
Novice

$8500 for a 2007 fair? Needs paint as far as I could tell

Old 01-27-2012 | 03:16 PM
JayRokk
|
Novice

Originally Posted by JayRokk
$8500 for a 2007 fair? Needs paint as far as I could tell
Any input?

Old 01-27-2012 | 04:34 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior

Its as fair as you feel it is - it is a subjective opinion.... IMO

BUT - do the logic steps first - look at other bikes, same year and model and see what they are going for.... look at KBB and NADA and see what a RK custom or bare bones (if you will) RK is worth - you have to know what a reasonable starting point is.

If it needs paint, figure another $1,000-$2,000 for that - which depends on how good a job you want and the paint scheme and color etc.

When I bought my 2010 FLHP, I did research based on what I knew I wanted as a min - newer frame, 103 engine, yadda yadda, and I went with the 2010 because I heard the HD made changes to the motors for the 2011 & 12's that most were not impressed with... I also knew that a 2010 would be basically now be an almost 3year old model - gave me some bargaining room.

So once I had my base line - I started hunting the lists, eBay, dealers, chopper exchange, and other forums to see what the bike was selling and asked for.

Most were going for $16K plus with the miles not being what I wanted (in the birch white or black colors and some others in that baby blue and white), but then I stumbled upon one the had a different paint job (2 tone dark blue/silver), with WAY lower miles then most others (1,494) AND it was a campus security bike - which meant that it was not abused or used for training - and they were asking $16, I figured this is close, and then I negotiated, and they came into where I wanted to spend and we closed the deal.

I got what I wanted, and I felt good about the price I paid, because I spent a good 8 months doing research and asking around....

HTH

Quick Reply: Road King Police Pros? Cons?