Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used SE vs New RKC

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:09 PM
HAP76
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used SE vs New RKC

My dealer just got in a low mileage 2008 Screaming Eagle Road King. They have it priced roughly the same as a new 2012 RKC. The 08 has all the bells and whistles you expect on a SE bike (110 motor, anti-lock brakes, tach, beautiful paint, and lots of chrome), but being an 08 it doesn’t have the new touring frame.

I understand the new frame makes for a better handling bike, but am wondering how big the difference is. I have ridden the 2012 RKC and plan to ride the 08 later this week, but I find it difficult to make these kinds of comparisons on a 15 min test ride.

Any perceptions or observations from those of you who have spent a good bit of time in the saddle of both a pre and post 2009 touring model would be appreciated.

For what it is worth, I am moving from a Fat Bob.

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2012, 01:11 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

No doubt in my mind that I would choose the new 2012.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

I wouldn't want a SE110 motor...

Old 01-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdwg_rugby
I wouldn't want a SE110 motor...
Can you elaborate?

Old 01-16-2012, 01:14 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You want the new frame.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:15 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tough call all around. The '12 has the new frame, a 103" ci standard, From what I've read (Search for threads here), some of the 110" motors can be problematic, a standard 103" may be a better choice if you don't plan on hot- rodding with the King.

A new 2-year warranty as opposed to maybe a 1-year with the SE if the dealer will throw one in. New bike vs. one with a unknown history? You didn't say how many miles were on the '08, but you're getting a 4.5 year old bike for a new one? The SE is pretty well decked out already where a new bike is a something you can customize to suit your own tastes.

Good luck with the choice, we should all have a decision like this to make. If it were my money, I'd go with the new bike, new frame, new motor, new warranty.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:46 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

This is from experience from our riding group. Do not buy a 07 or 08 110 ci motor. There were numerous problems with these engines. Harley originally called it a head gasket problem, but this was not exactly accurate. There is much information available on this, but don't buy someone else's problem.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:32 PM
HAP76
Advanced

Thanks for all of the quick replies. Sounds like the 2012 is the way to go (or at least an 09 or newer to get the new frame). Thanks also for the heads up on the 110 issues. I certainly don't want a bike thats going to spend more time in the shop than on the road. It sure is a good looking bike though.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by HAP76
Thanks for all of the quick replies. Sounds like the 2012 is the way to go (or at least an 09 or newer to get the new frame). Thanks also for the heads up on the 110 issues. I certainly don't want a bike thats going to spend more time in the shop than on the road. It sure is a good looking bike though.
It really is a gorgeous bike, I understand "issues", but I have to say, the first time I saw one up close I got weak knees. Pictures do not do it justice.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd get the 08 CVO bike in a hearbeat over a new stocker, if the price was right. In a hearbeat.

There's not that much handling difference between the older frame bikes and the new ones, if you make some simple upgrades. The biggest difference is the updated forward motor mounts (two instead of one) and the larger rear tire. However, the 07-08 SE Road Kings will accomodate a 180 rear tire without any modifications. (They came with a 170). You can't go to 200 like you could with a newer bike, but a 180 is plenty big enough. The older bikes do need a swingarm brace, but that's a simple 200 dollar fix you can do yourself in less than an hour. You can further tighten up the motor/trans/swingarm if you want with upgraded forward motor mounts and swingarm bushings.

The 07 110 motor had some widely reported problems with the heads especially the valve guides and head gaskets, but much was sorted out with later years, and as long as the bike has had all the recalls complied with, you'll be good to go. Any problems with the stroker cranks in the 110 bikes were the same the 96/103 bikes were having. If the bike is running good, there's no reason why it shouldn't continue to do so.

CVO 110 vs a stock 103, no doubt in my mind what I'd rather have. A simple cam swap will bring back 100 hp/ 110 ft lbs easily. 300 bucks in parts plus a tune and you're good to go. You'll spend 2K or more on a stage III upgrade or a 107 conversion to get the same results.

A good friend has a 07 CVO Road King. I've ridden it quite a bit, and have ridden with him quite a bit more. It's a beautiful bike, runs well and will hold it's value a lot better than the stockers will. Go hang out on the CVO forum and see how much those guys love their bikes. I don't see many of them pining for a new stocker RK.

Quick Reply: Used SE vs New RKC