Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used SE vs New RKC

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

OP should go ask the same question over on the CVO forum. Get the perspective of the guys who actually own the bikes.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought one just like that 2008 you're looking at. The mods were all handled and the bike seems good. I'll have more to report in a year or so but I think it's a good bike. Here's a pic -

Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 PM
htc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No doubt its a good looking thing, but new is always new. I had issues with the 2008 and just because of that I have now 2010. Go for the new one!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:47 PM
fm58
Tourer
Received 128 Likes on 40 Posts

Go with the '12, new frame & tuner and full exhaust will make you very happy. My buddy has the same '08 you looked at. I have ridden it, I also own a '11 FLHRC with the mods I mentioned above.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Strictly speaking as an owner of a 2002 RKC, who has test ridden a 2011 RKC with the new frame/ABS, -my choice would be to go with the newer bike over the '08 SERK. IMO, the frame/ABS outweigh all the bells/whistles on the SERK. However, apples -to-apples, I would still shy away from the '08's SE's because of the problems so many owners reported with the 110's back then. And I've seen several of that model year SE's for sale to give me pause and wonder whether those owners had a reason to trade them. Go to the CVO section of this forum and do a search on the 2008 engine...that place ought to help you. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I bought an '03 SE Road King last year with just a few hundred miles on it. Dealer went thru it & it's been absolutely great! I could have bought a newer bike with zero options for about the same money, but I loved the color, trim, style of the CVO bike. Yes, I know the newer ones have the redesigned frames, etc., but unless you want to trade every 2 years, you're eventually going to end up with a used bike that's not the latest & greatest.

What others say about the value is true. CVOs hold their value better. Plus, you're probably not going to spend a bunch on aftermarket stuff. That new stock bike might cost you an extra $10K in goodies in the long run! haha!

So I'd definately pick the '08 SE over new (especially that color! Love it & wished I could have found one of those!), but what would concern me are the reports of engine issues. Do your homework, learn all you can about it, and get the HD warranty on the used bike if you choose to go that way.

Whatever you get, enjoy! I can think of worse decisions to make!

Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Pierre
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

I have a 2008 FLHTC with the 110 Kit installed by the dealer when new....

the bike have 110,000 km since then and the dealer make the recall for the motor at 30,000km....

0 problem with this motor...just pure joy compared to a stock motor...

the bike is run hard...

Old 01-17-2012, 07:21 PM
loadie
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dang, I have been struggling with the exact same question for over a month and just pulled the trigger on a blue 08 SERK. Lots of great arguments both pro and con here and I also had concerns about the 110. Bought from a dealer but had a great chat with the PO who traded up for a CVO Ultra. What swayed me was the bike was immaculate, maintained on schedule and low mileage. I am a only 5'7", but the low seat height of the SERK lets me plant both feet flat on the ground, and the handlebars are perfect. I am sure I would have had to change the bars if I had of bought new.The PO was kind enough to add a tour pack, back supports and driving lights. I also liked the fact he did not change the pipes, air cleaner, or add a tuner of any sort. Good luck with whichever bike you decide on.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 PM
scarygt
Road Master

Had a 07 RKC.. Loved the bike. Love my 10 Ultra Limited. I think my 07 was more comfortable.. but the newer bike does handle better.

I love the looks of that 08 SE king.. If it has low miles and if the dealer will give you a dal on a 5 year warranty I'd get the SE bike. To make your new bike anything close to that bike you will spend 10K on top of your new bike and still won't have all the mods. I think I'm sitting at around 32K on my FLHTK right now and it still doesn't have as much done to it as a CVO bike.

Get the SE if they work out a warranty for you.

Good luck, Scary

PS: 60K miles put on 07.. 38K so far on 2010 limited. The King was more comfortable on long trips.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:01 PM
htc
Tourer

I think it's MUCH easier for us to say "new" than be in that actual situation... ;-)

Quick Reply: Used SE vs New RKC