Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 03:55 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default ?dyno tune?

I was at a local shop the other day and asked about getting a tune. The owner told me that he doesn't use a dyno but can tune by base line maps and adjusting by riding the bike. They had a dyno in the past. The part of are conversation that had me thinking is that according to him doing a dyno tune is that it's like putting 5,000 to 10,000 miles on the motor. Is there any truth behind that?

Old 01-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What. Well I have had my car dyno tuned twice and unless running wide open throttle does that to a motor I think your advice may be a bit off. I could see it if you were breaking in a new build on a dyno however a seasoned motor,I doubt it

Old 01-15-2012, 04:37 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get it close, but I wouldn't pay somebody to just get it "close". If somebody else is going to tune my bike they should be hooking it up to a dyno with external instrumentation.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:44 PM
BlackSpecial
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never heard about the "5000 to 10,000" mile thing before.

I'd like to know how he goes about verifying a/f ratio to say the least.

The dyno is a tool. If it were me, I'd find a shop that used one for tuning.

Last edited by BlackSpecial; 01-15-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:46 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DanDman
I was at a local shop the other day and asked about getting a tune. The owner told me that he doesn't use a dyno but can tune by base line maps and adjusting by riding the bike. They had a dyno in the past. The part of are conversation that had me thinking is that according to him doing a dyno tune is that it's like putting 5,000 to 10,000 miles on the motor. Is there any truth behind that?
5,000 to 10,000 on the motor? Seriously?? Why do you think you need a Dyno tune? Did you change something? That would dictate if you really need a Dyno tune.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:19 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DanDman
That right there is the kind of shop that gives real tuners a bad name.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:23 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Localprez
5,000 to 10,000 on the motor? Seriously?? Why do you think you need a Dyno tune? Did you change something? That would dictate if you really need a Dyno tune.
I'm in the process of installing a 95" kit, cams, 2in1in2 head pipes, S&S vfi module. I am trying to find a good tuner that I can trust. I was picking up some parts at the shop and seen their business card that said they did dyno tuning. When I asked that's when he said that they got rid of the dyno

Old 01-15-2012, 07:24 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

There is no way possible he can give you a tune by riding it. A carbed bike sure, but not a FI bike, noway in hell, I don't care who he is or what he knows. A bike is tuned by either throttle position or MAP load and RPM's, there is no way to know what TP you are at at any given time without having something hooked up to your ECM telling you. Not to mention that each cylinder is tuned independantly. He might get lucky and get a bike running better his way, but it would be by changes large areas of the MAP at a time and not individual cells.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:56 PM
redmonster13
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never step foot in that shop again, and I would tell my friends to steer clear as well.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:51 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior

I only buy parts in shops. I usally do my own work but tuning isn't one. I plan on down loading a map from the S&S website to break it in. I'm still looking for a local tuner that I can work with.

Quick Reply: ?dyno tune?