Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

?dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:27 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
Yeah it does.

A/F can be as low as 11.5 and it will only cost you about 3% TQ.

Timing can be plus or minus 5 degrees and it will only cost you 1% TQ.

I put it to you that these percentages are so low that a dyno cant measure them accurately, and you wouldnt be able to measure them yourself via seat-of-the-pants when riding on the street.

It took me 8 months to tune my bike because I dont get to the drags that often, Eastern Creek is nearly 2 hours drive away and I just dont have the time with work etc. When your bike gets to 100 mph in less than 10 sec the opportunities for WOT testing arent that often if you wanna keep your licence. In 8 months I am up to Version 24 of my tune. Quite a few of those versions didnt change tune at all, they were changes to try to stop the starter kickback, throttle progressivity, warm up. Anyhoo, long story.

A/F and timing being off might not make a huge differencr in WOT, but I am referring mor to the other ranges of the tune. Cruise at 11.5:1 A/F and see how your bike runs.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:13 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harleytuner
A/F and timing being off might not make a huge differencr in WOT, but I am referring mor to the other ranges of the tune. Cruise at 11.5:1 A/F and see how your bike runs.
With the SEPST the bike is running in closed loop at cruise, so there isnt much tuning work to do there now is there....

My point is that some tuners over state how critical these things are. The Stealers here in Australia do it all the time.

You might even be in danger of committing that offense yourself, by the looks!! You sort of hint that something terrible will happen if you cruise at 11.5:1, but those of us who remember carbys know that you just burn a bit more fuel and your plugs go black. I remember tuning by plug reading. Ahh, the good old days.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:05 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

With the SEPST the bike is running in closed loop at cruise, so there isnt much tuning work to do there now is there....

My point is that some tuners over state how critical these things are. The Stealers here in Australia do it all the time.

You might even be in danger of committing that offense yourself, by the looks!! You sort of hint that something terrible will happen if you cruise at 11.5:1, but those of us who remember carbys know that you just burn a bit more fuel and your plugs go black. I remember tuning by plug reading. Ahh, the good old days.
Closed loop will only mke coorections if it is range of the scope of the narrow band o2 sensors. I'm not saying something terrible will happen, but the bike won't be running optimum if it is too rich. So I guess what you're saying is with the technology we have today, it is alright if a modern bike gets poor fuel economy and fouls plugs? I tune for a living, people pay me well to get it right, not close. Closed loop doesn't make all teh adjustments you might think it does.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:06 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

So I guess what you're saying is with the technology we have today, it is alright if a modern bike gets poor fuel economy and fouls plugs?
I am saying it may not be worth spending $250-$600 on (which is what tuners in Australia charge). They want $200 for a just for a setup and single WOT pull at the Stealerships. I have had my bike on the Dyno to be tuned twice at two different dealerships for the net cost of $700. I sent the "finished" maps to a tuner that I met via HDforums and he pointed out the gross mistakes and stupidity of what they did. Hence why I did it myself. So yeah, I have an axe to grind against dyno tuners, especially when most of them grab a canned map, do two WOT pulls and hand you a bill for $500 which is what they did to a mate of mine who put cams in his SG last week.

I know you tune for a living, and I am taking the mickey out of you because I am implying that tuners like you* scaremonger to increase demand for your services. Deal with it, that's the industry you are in and you know it goes on.

*not necessarily you

Old 01-19-2012, 05:10 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by DanDman
I was at a local shop the other day and asked about getting a tune. The owner told me that he doesn't use a dyno but can tune by base line maps and adjusting by riding the bike. They had a dyno in the past. The part of are conversation that had me thinking is that according to him doing a dyno tune is that it's like putting 5,000 to 10,000 miles on the motor. Is there any truth behind that?
No truth. Usually it takes from a half tank to almost a full tank to correctly dyno tune a bike. Pulls from 20% throttle to 100%. He just doesn't have a dyno anymore and has to justify not having one by saying that.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:19 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

I am saying it may not be worth spending $250-$600 on (which is what tuners in Australia charge). They want $200 for a just for a setup and single WOT pull at the Stealerships. I have had my bike on the Dyno to be tuned twice at two different dealerships for the net cost of $700. I sent the "finished" maps to a tuner that I met via HDforums and he pointed out the gross mistakes and stupidity of what they did. Hence why I did it myself. So yeah, I have an axe to grind against dyno tuners, especially when most of them grab a canned map, do two WOT pulls and hand you a bill for $500 which is what they did to a mate of mine who put cams in his SG last week.

I know you tune for a living, and I am taking the mickey out of you because I am implying that tuners like you* scaremonger to increase demand for your services. Deal with it, that's the industry you are in and you know it goes on.

*not necessarily you
fair enough. I can't really speak for other tuners, I know what I do and what my customers get when I am done. A typical tune for me is not less than 3 hours, I go through every throttle position and throughout the RPM range at least twice on every bike, most of the time I go through them more. I don't try to "scare" anybody into anything, I just know what my experiences are on the dyno, in my belief to et a bike to run optimaly, it needs to be fully tuned. Sure you can Smarttune it yourself with the SEPST, but there are still a ton of bikes that are pre '07 that need tuned, and a ton of newer ones that the owners don't care to Smarttune themselves. It's too bad that your experience with dyno shops is negative, it's shop like that that give us all a bad image. We have quit a few shops here that tune, some do OK and some just throw a MAP in it, adjust the WOT and call it good, and some of them make it to our shop because they're not happy, and then they find out what a proper tune really does for them. I've tuned for a number of forum members here, some travel large distances to give us a try, and so far every one has been happy with our service. Our shop gets a straight $300 for a full tune, wether it takes 3 hours our 10. The bike doesn't leve untill I'm happy with it.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:26 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

fair enough. I can't really speak for other tuners, I know what I do and what my customers get when I am done. A typical tune for me is not less than 3 hours, I go through every throttle position and throughout the RPM range at least twice on every bike, most of the time I go through them more. I don't try to "scare" anybody into anything, I just know what my experiences are on the dyno, in my belief to et a bike to run optimaly, it needs to be fully tuned. Sure you can Smarttune it yourself with the SEPST, but there are still a ton of bikes that are pre '07 that need tuned, and a ton of newer ones that the owners don't care to Smarttune themselves. It's too bad that your experience with dyno shops is negative, it's shop like that that give us all a bad image. We have quit a few shops here that tune, some do OK and some just throw a MAP in it, adjust the WOT and call it good, and some of them make it to our shop because they're not happy, and then they find out what a proper tune really does for them. I've tuned for a number of forum members here, some travel large distances to give us a try, and so far every one has been happy with our service. Our shop gets a straight $300 for a full tune, wether it takes 3 hours our 10. The bike doesn't leve untill I'm happy with it.
I really like your attitude on this, if you weren't 13000 miles away I would get my bike to you in a heartbeat as I am sure you could make it go better than I can.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:47 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

I really like your attitude on this, if you weren't 13000 miles away I would get my bike to you in a heartbeat as I am sure you could make it go better than I can.
thanks, 13K miles is a bit far, I have had bikes come over 600 miles for me to tune though. Our shop is a perfomance shop first and foremost. We have a strong history in racing, mainly flat track racing, but we also have a landspeed record on a HD sprint 250 Streamliner that was set in 1965 with a speed of 177.225 MPH set by our shops founder, his son now owns and runs the shop. My boss holds quit a few titles himself as well as his late brother. Anyways, going fast is in our blood. Here's a pic of the FXR with the S&S 124 (carbed) like you have, this one puts out 132 HP and 138 Ft Lbs of trq. It's best run was a 9.82 but doesn't see the strip anymore, just a bar hopper now. Actually its down at the moment, an automatic compression release is broken so if I ever get off my dead ***, i'll rip the top end off and freshen it up. I thought about running my bagger at the strip, but with 6 fused vertabrae and 3 spine operations, I'd just rather rip it up on the street.

Attached Thumbnails ?dyno tune?-fxr.jpg  
Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

thanks, 13K miles is a bit far, I have had bikes come over 600 miles for me to tune though. Our shop is a perfomance shop first and foremost. We have a strong history in racing, mainly flat track racing, but we also have a landspeed record on a HD sprint 250 Streamliner that was set in 1965 with a speed of 177.225 MPH set by our shops founder, his son now owns and runs the shop. My boss holds quit a few titles himself as well as his late brother. Anyways, going fast is in our blood. Here's a pic of the FXR with the S&S 124 (carbed) like you have, this one puts out 132 HP and 138 Ft Lbs of trq. It's best run was a 9.82 but doesn't see the strip anymore, just a bar hopper now. Actually its down at the moment, an automatic compression release is broken so if I ever get off my dead ***, i'll rip the top end off and freshen it up. I thought about running my bagger at the strip, but with 6 fused vertabrae and 3 spine operations, I'd just rather rip it up on the street.
Its a long and very wet ride to Ohio from here!

To me the 9.82 is even more impressive than the 132/138, 9.82 is haulin' and requires a lot of skill from the rider. Took all my skill to get in the 11s.

PM Sent re my bike.