Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No sound coming from speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:34 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default No sound coming from speakers?

I have a '09 Street Glide with a Hawg Wired DCS 1202 that has been working nicely for the last 2 1/2 years. Recently no sound from speakers. So I pulled the fairing today to see what's up. Indicator light on amp is on. I tried to isolate problem to head unit or amp, (assuming speakers are not shot, that is next on my list) so I bypassed amp using factory harness and determined the head unit (Factory radio) is not sending a signal regardless of input AM/FM/XM/WB/CD. On the radio panel, everything appears to be working properly. Just no sound. Any suggestions before I turn it over to the dealer. Also, I have an extended warranty, if head needs replaced, will they claim using Hawg Wired system voided warranty? I can remove amp easily enough but not speakers, as OEMs got tossed and the tell tale velcro atop the head unit.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:09 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member

error code 2017. Anyone have any luck fixing this one themselves, without pulling the unit?

Old 01-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

2017 is a speaker fault code. You will get this if the amp is in the circuit.
If the amp is removed and the original configuration installed, you should have audio in one speaker.
If that code is present and you have a total loss of audio, the microprocessor is reading an internal fault.

The additional weight / vibration of the amp mounted on the top of the radio sometimes causes damage to the radio's main board in the area of the DSP or D to A converters.

We have alot of dealers using us for the extended warranty repairs. They just need to clear it with the extended warranty company. We do not reject claims because of the presence of amps or aftermarket speakers. As long as the radio itself has not been altered, we just write it up as a repair.

Give us a call if you have any questions

Last edited by Iron Cross Audio; 01-15-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:15 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks! I'll get it to the shop tomorrow.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:50 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Whoa! Before you dig in try a CD first. If it has sound then it just may be the antennae lead vibrated out.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:04 PM
MOTOX56
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same happen with mine and called Hogtunes, they said check orange wire from amp that goes to cig lighter. It had a bad connection terminal, works great now, try this easy fix.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:23 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,915 Likes on 22,771 Posts

Very well may be the wire that goes to your battery or broken connection.
I'd start at the battery first and start lookin'. That's what mine has been twice..

Old 01-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Whoa! Before you dig in try a CD first. If it has sound then it just may be the antennae lead vibrated out.
Would not give a defect code if the antenna connector vibrated out...Same hold true for power or ground connection

Old 01-15-2012, 03:39 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgdamore
I have a '09 Street Glide with a Hawg Wired DCS 1202 that has been working nicely for the last 2 1/2 years. Recently no sound from speakers. So I pulled the fairing today to see what's up. Indicator light on amp is on. I tried to isolate problem to head unit or amp, (assuming speakers are not shot, that is next on my list) so I bypassed amp using factory harness and determined the head unit (Factory radio) is not sending a signal regardless of input AM/FM/XM/WB/CD. On the radio panel, everything appears to be working properly. Just no sound. Any suggestions before I turn it over to the dealer. Also, I have an extended warranty, if head needs replaced, will they claim using Hawg Wired system voided warranty? I can remove amp easily enough but not speakers, as OEMs got tossed and the tell tale velcro atop the head unit.
Same thing hapened to a buddy of mine twice on his 07 ultra. No sound coming from the speakers on the bike, but the speakers in his helmet work fine. He had to replaced the radio both times.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:48 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same problem. I could move the speaker switch to another position then back and could have audio for a few minutes, then have to do it again. Brought it to the dealer and they changed the switch. It still had the same problem so they replaced the radio.

Quick Reply: No sound coming from speakers?