Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eastern Performance saddlebags?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:10 AM
BIGVTWIN
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwork101
Depends on the color but my local guy who does all the paint for the bikes I work on is between 250 and 400 a set. Kind of depends on the color and what else I'm dropping off. Last month I had two guys wanting drop bags both vivid black so I got em done 250. Only bitch is shipping them, but I'm sure we can figure that out, some bubblewrap maybe.
Don't do it man... The bubble wrap will screw the paint up. Learned that many years ago. It will leave little round or big circles pressed into the paint. Something in the wrap make them etch into the the paint. Best to go to thrift store and buy old towels and wrap in first then bubbles wrap.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 AM
bcane98
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the Fairing Factory bags from Eastern Perf for Xmas. They are at the painters right now. Other than the squared extensions, they didn't seem all that bad. I'll post some pics when I get them back in a couple weeks.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:18 AM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends on the color but my local guy who does all the paint for the bikes I work on is between 250 and 400 a set. Kind of depends on the color and what else I'm dropping off. Last month I had two guys wanting drop bags both vivid black so I got em done 250. Only bitch is shipping them, but I'm sure we can figure that out, some bubblewrap maybe.
I have Vivid Black. Use what harley uses, multi layered tissue paper. Almost like diapers.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:27 PM
bdschumaker
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I am one of the "other" sellers on eBay (streetbob325) selling those bags. They do come from Vtwin and they are great quality. I sell a handful of popular bagged parts that I have used in my own shop working on guys bikes locally. I've used the old fiberglass bags, top shop and bad dad that I have bought or customers have brought in. For the value I think these are the best and I really believe that. I have not seen a set of bags that fits as well out of the box. Any questions let me know, years ago before everyone wanted or had these you had to do a LOT of work to get hardware to latch right, line up on the bike, bla bla and they cost an arm and a leg. Now they are priced great and not trashy bags. Just saw the post and figured I'd chime in.
I'll vouch for streetbob bags on ebay. Picked up a set from him on friday. I was also very leery of the bags, i did local pickup so i could see in person prior to buying. I was very impressed!! Got home thru them on the bike and they were perfect!! Very minimal body work required, probably just a heavy filler primer, block out and paint. Great guy to work with.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:08 AM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Bought a set yesterday. I still have to mock them up on my bike. Has anyone painted theirs yet? If you have post them pics.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got mine back from the painter today. FINALLY after 2 months of waiting. Granted I wasn't in a hurry until the weather turned. I'll say they look amazing on the bike. However.. Somehow over the course of 2 months the back (inner) side of the bags have sagged a bit. Jamming my rain gear ball in there to push it back in allowed me to close the bags properly. After a few hours the drivers side closes like normal. Some good hot weather will fix the other one i'm sure.

Mostly disgusted with the painter. The 2010 SG with Brilliant silver pearl has an insane amount of large fleck in it as well as a pretty pronounced pearl coat. The metal fleck isn't nearly as pronounced and I honestly can't tell if there is pearl in it.

I'm probably overly picky and without pointing it out the only one that would notice. Still pisses me off.. 425 bucks in paint to get a half *** job. As well as the excessive overspray inside the bags. HD certainly has the paint department figured out. I'll not be using the local HD painter again that's for sure..

Attached Thumbnails Eastern Performance saddlebags?-img_nolic.jpg   Eastern Performance saddlebags?-img_20120312_183729.jpg  

Last edited by SDVmnt; 03-12-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Sorry to hear about your paint ordeal. That's what gets me nervous about getting some bags and having them painted instead of using the HD version. Now again, what is wrong with the bag itself? The inside wall was caving in? How the heck does that happen? Maybe the HD version is the same, or not?
Jerry

Old 03-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Bigdave12768
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem with pearl paints is, You never know how many layers of pearl was laid down on your bike. Did they have any part of your bike to match it? if not that was your mistake. I was just schooled on pearls and candies in paint. But I had my entire bike painted so its even. And my paint is flakier than a bleach blonde with big *****. As for your ABS bags, seems like all the after markets bags are bowing a little. Or maybe they left them stacked and that one was on bottom. I am glad I bought top shop fiberglass bags. Hope it all works out for you. Others have posted ideas on how to fix them and what to jam in them to make them stop

Last edited by Bigdave12768; 03-13-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:41 PM
BIGVTWIN
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine are bowing in too. They will keep bowing after they are fixed.
I test fit mine and they fit perfect but now they fit like ****.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:02 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I left him my lid which has very pronounced flake in it. Now that they're mounted I really can't tell that much of a difference.

Once mounted and left over night the drivers side is not bowed and latches fine.. The passenger side needs some love but is getting better. It was 78 degrees here today and I think the passenger side with the coat jammed in it has helped. It will latch without the coat and stay shut.

Hindsight.. I should have saved 400 more and gone with TopShop.. All of 60 miles from here. Just couldn't justify the extra 300 if they were stout like HD bags. Which When I got them they sure seemed to be.. I think anyone looking to get these should hold a straight edge along the inside/fender edge and make sure they're straight. If not it's going to suck. The mounting pins seem to pull them out and make it better.

Quick Reply: Eastern Performance saddlebags?