Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked Up My SE 120R...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:37 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well...I got the call yesterday afternoon about 3:00PM...the 120R was ready to pick up! Couldn't break free yesterday...so today I took a long lunch and put on my riding gear and headed to HD!

Oh yeah...she was ready! Had a crowd looking at her when I got there! Lots of questions...but I was on a schedule and needed to get out of there. I spoke with the tuner that actually worked on the bike. He downloaded the 120R MAP and 'tweaked' some of the values for break-in. He had ridden it for 4 miles to make sure she was 'rideable' as she sat and said that it was surely going to be a monster! I paid my bill and thanked them and saddled up and pulled her outside. I let it idle while I walked around the bike and checked everything (scratches, leaks, dings, keys in the saddlebag along with my VCI...the typical stuff you check after leaving your bike at the dealer overnight) and all was good. I noticed that the exhaust sound was totally different from my 107' build and had a 'lope' to it as the engine warmed up and started coming to life.

I took her straight back to the office via 'the long way' which was about 10 miles. Varied my speed constantly and kept shifting up and down the gear pattern. I put her under load after everything was warmed up...but never took it over 3,200 RPM, or so. No ticks, no valve rattle...just the sounds of the 120R beneath me. I didn't even turn on the XM radio!

I'll take her straight home after work and that will have put about 25 miles on her total. I'm going to drop the oil and change the filter...and then put some more miles on her tomorrow. I had already promised to take the wife to dinner tonight 50 miles down the road to see some old friends...damnit!

I know very little right now...but my 'butt dyno' is starting to peg already! There is a lot of motor under me...hard to describe, but you know it's there.

More to follow...and now to try and concentrate for the next few hours like I am actally interested in what I'm doing here at work!

I think my life has forever changed!

Steve

Old 03-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SCJE8
Well...I got the call yesterday afternoon about 3:00PM...the 120R was ready to pick up! Couldn't break free yesterday...so today I took a long lunch and put on my riding gear and headed to HD!

Oh yeah...she was ready! Had a crowd looking at her when I got there! Lots of questions...but I was on a schedule and needed to get out of there. I spoke with the tuner that actually worked on the bike. He downloaded the 120R MAP and 'tweaked' some of the values for break-in. He had ridden it for 4 miles to make sure she was 'rideable' as she sat and said that it was surely going to be a monster! I paid my bill and thanked them and saddled up and pulled her outside. I let it idle while I walked around the bike and checked everything (scratches, leaks, dings, keys in the saddlebag along with my VCI...the typical stuff you check after leaving your bike at the dealer overnight) and all was good. I noticed that the exhaust sound was totally different from my 107' build and had a 'lope' to it as the engine warmed up and started coming to life.

I took her straight back to the office via 'the long way' which was about 10 miles. Varied my speed constantly and kept shifting up and down the gear pattern. I put her under load after everything was warmed up...but never took it over 3,200 RPM, or so. No ticks, no valve rattle...just the sounds of the 120R beneath me. I didn't even turn on the XM radio!

I'll take her straight home after work and that will have put about 25 miles on her total. I'm going to drop the oil and change the filter...and then put some more miles on her tomorrow. I had already promised to take the wife to dinner tonight 50 miles down the road to see some old friends...damnit!

I know very little right now...but my 'butt dyno' is starting to peg already! There is a lot of motor under me...hard to describe, but you know it's there.

More to follow...and now to try and concentrate for the next few hours like I am actally interested in what I'm doing here at work!

I think my life has forever changed!

Steve
Well my friend, you have offical cost me a bunch of money

Seriously, be safe and enjoy the ride

Bruce

Old 03-15-2012, 08:10 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce00
Well my friend, you have offical cost me a bunch of money

Seriously, be safe and enjoy the ride

Bruce
Thanks Bruce! I have a permanent cot in the garage now, but there's room if you 'pull the trigger' need a place to bunk!

Steve

Old 03-15-2012, 08:52 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I am sooooooo jealous. Cant wait to see the post right after you get to twist the wick a bit

Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by SCJE8
Hey Tony...

I've been following your exploits on Facebook...and truly wishing I was there!

Ride safe and enjoy Daytona!

Steve
Thanks Steve, I just got back home from Daytona and the weather up here sucks! There was a group of Canadians staying in the room next to me and one of them had a "bad ***" SG 120R w/Procharger; he said at about 9k miles or kilometers he had bearing issues with the engine prior to installing the Procharger. With that said, he did seem like the type that would beat the **** out of an engine. Looking forward to taking out the 120R this weekend, the weather should be nice and I need the "break in" miles. I kinda wish I had it with me in Daytona, but riding that down there would have beat the **** out of me.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:18 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Well, since I've been back home from Daytona I have spent the last 2 days using the Smart Tune feature on my SE Pro Tuner to "fine tune" the base map that is installed on my 120R. I now have it running great! I need about 500 more miles before I can put it on a dyno and with the weather here in the Northeast being mild I should have the miles by the end of the week.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:46 AM
robertg
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

How's the fuel mileage and valve train noise? Some people say they are really quiet but both of mine clatter more than I would like. My fuel gauge was on E after 120 miles but I'm still doing V-tunes an that bike.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:58 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by robertg
How's the fuel mileage and valve train noise? Some people say they are really quiet but both of mine clatter more than I would like. My fuel gauge was on E after 120 miles but I'm still doing V-tunes an that bike.
Mine clutters, but with the Dragula Pipe I can hardly hear it. My fuel mileage is about the same as yours; I hoping that after I get it dynoed it'll increase a bit.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:23 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by robertg
Are you running a 120R? If so, what SE Pro Tuner map did you use? and what do you have the injector size set to within the tuning software?

Old 03-18-2012, 11:51 AM
robertg
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aviscomi
Are you running a 120R? If so, what SE Pro Tuner map did you use? and what do you have the injector size set to within the tuning software?
In one of my bikes I'm running a TTS Mastertune. The other bike was salvage so it's history in unknown. I talked to the shop that installed the 120 and they told me they used a Screaming Eagle tuner, so I thought it was a SERT. I'm trying to locate the original owner but he has a very common name and it looks like he moved. The bike came from Davenport IA and I think the owned lived just out of the Quad Cities.

The TTS bike needs a to be V-tuned at the higher MAP/RPM areas, but it still runs a lot better than the other bike. The TTS bike has a Wegner exhaust and the other has a Supertrapp 2-1.

Quick Reply: Picked Up My SE 120R...